PDA

View Full Version : Worn out.

Dancing Chicken
29th October 2015, 06:22 AM
Hi. I have been out with a mate of mine for a bit of a drive( out Burra way) and my Mav couldn't go half the places he could( he has 2005 prado) can anyone explane. Someone said my diff was worn out. Can a diff wear out ?

heaths_gu
29th October 2015, 06:50 AM
At a guess I'd say he traction control

threedogs
29th October 2015, 07:02 AM
Did you put yours in 4WD and lock your hubs.??
What tyres do you have fitted

taslucas
29th October 2015, 08:35 AM
Yeah what kind of setup do you have mate? What was stopping you from going places? Tyre spin?
If both vehicles are setup the same then the patrol will be an easy match and in a lot of cases it should out drive the prado off road

tappin from tassie

Dancing Chicken
29th October 2015, 10:31 AM
I had lots of wheel spin but only on one side. Selector in centre of front wheels in lock. Standard tyres fitted. I think 31r15

threedogs
29th October 2015, 12:02 PM
Did you select low range with the little stick inside the car and did you drop your tyre pressures.
After locking your hubs via the centre of your wheels you have only locked the hubs in.

If not you have done very well keeping up with him in 2WD, great effort

taslucas
29th October 2015, 12:14 PM
I had lots of wheel spin but only on one side. Selector in centre of front wheels in lock. Standard tyres fitted. I think 31r15

As TD said above, are you sure 4wd was properly engaged with gearstick?

The front diff will be an open diff so it will spin the wheel with least resistance. With standard all terrain tyres in slippery circumstances it will spin both easily.

The rear diff is an lsd so if working correctly it should spin both rears when in slippery conditions. Even though patrol rear lsd diff's are the best around, it is possible for them to loosen up with age and wear.
Perhaps check the fluid levels and condition in the diff's to see if they look healthy.

Also, maybe it's time to go for some grippier tyres.

How long have you had the maverick and do you have much experience off road?

tappin from tassie

threedogs
29th October 2015, 12:32 PM
With any "normal 4WD when you lock the hubs and select low 4WD you in affect only have two wheels driving you forward .
the rear right and the front left but as we have patrol we have a LSD in the rear and a bloody good one at that.
Sometimes when 4x4ing if one wheel is in the air and spinning [front] its a trick to tap the brake to get drive to the none spinning wheel.

Dancing Chicken
29th October 2015, 03:16 PM
LSD ???? Sorry fellas. I'm lost.

Clunk
29th October 2015, 03:17 PM
LSD ???? Sorry fellas. I'm lost.
Limited Slip Differential

threedogs
29th October 2015, 04:08 PM
what brand tyres have you fitted, are they an all terrain or mud pattern style

Rock Trol
29th October 2015, 04:28 PM
Do you know if the Prado has traction control or a locker? What sort of terrain did you get stuck in? Where you lifting you wheels? A mate has a 120 Prado and without his rear arb diff lock he has trouble keeping up with gu patrols on difficult terrain. So if you can describe the terrain and what mods the Prado has we might be be able to nut this out. Also, if the Prado driver is experienced he might be picking the correct line which makes a huge difference.

Dancing Chicken
29th October 2015, 08:06 PM
The prado had all the bells and whistles so I spose traction control would be one of them and the terrane was rocky loose creeks banks. The Mav has 4.2L petrol carby with standard suspension. My tyres are desert duellers

mudski
29th October 2015, 09:02 PM
You really need to tell us what was stopping you from going anywhere that your mate did. Was it wheel spin? Car bottoming out? Motor bogging bown? What sort of terrain did the Playdo go where you couldn't?

I know for a fact that even stock Patrols can get you most places. We've taken out members with stock cars and its even surprised the owners how well the car went.
A lot of cases, not saying its your case, its driver ability.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

taslucas
29th October 2015, 09:06 PM
Have you got much 4wding experience under your belt dancer? I reckon with a good amount of skill and some 33" tyres you'd out drive any bell or whistle that Mr Toyota put there lol

tappin from tassie

Rock Trol
29th October 2015, 09:10 PM
Sounds like the Prado has traction control if its fully loaded with all the gear. With the Patrol you need to run 22-25psi (if you had not reduced pressure) in the tyres in the terrain you mentioned and you get a lot less wheel spin/slip which helps the LSD work. The LSD will not work if one side loses all traction so that may have been happening. Depending on the kms, the LSD could also be worn as it relies on clutch packs to work. The option would then be to tighten/rebuild the LSD or replace it with a locker. The locker sends power to both sides (1:1) so continues to work as long as there is traction on one of the tyres.

nissannewby
29th October 2015, 09:39 PM
You really need to tell us what was stopping you from going anywhere that your mate did. Was it wheel spin? Car bottoming out? Motor bogging bown? What sort of terrain did the Playdo go where you couldn't?

I know for a fact that even stock Patrols can get you most places. We've taken out members with stock cars and its even surprised the owners how well the car went.
A lot of cases, not saying its your case, its driver ability.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

A prado with a decent set of tyres and traction control will go along way. Especially if an auto, you just cant beat an auto for slow, low traction stuff. (Yes downhills maybe different).

Chubba
29th October 2015, 10:38 PM
Hay Dancing Chicken. I notice in your intro that the old girl has done 400000kms
I had an old Maverick myself a few years ago that had done about 380000kms and I can tell you that the LSD in that one was just about shot. The LSD (rear diff) can and do wear and at 400000ks yours is probably in need of some TLC. A tired LSD would not be helping your cause at all. It would be worth getting it looked at.

BigRAWesty
30th October 2015, 12:09 AM
Hay Dancing Chicken. I notice in your intro that the old girl has done 400000kms
I had an old Maverick myself a few years ago that had done about 380000kms and I can tell you that the LSD in that one was just about shot. The LSD (rear diff) can and do wear and at 400000ks yours is probably in need of some TLC. A tired LSD would not be helping your cause at all. It would be worth getting it looked at.
See now that's weird.. Mine has 520 thou on it and still chirps when turning under power and pretty much any gear in low range.. must be a good one..

I'd purely put it down to experience..
You have one of the best 4x4's on the market.. with a bit of know how and practice mate you'll leave him for dead..

As mentioned above I would have dropped tyres to 25psi. Not only will it soften the ride but you'll increase the traction 10 fold.. the tyre will mould to the rocks instead of trying to sit on top of them..

Next one (and I have met a few who didn't know this one) the old Gq's have manual locking hubs.. you have to get out and engage them for them to work.
As much as a pain this can be I personally wouldn't change it.. they are a bloody strong hub..

Next is gear selection..
Being a petrol you may need to use the rpm a bit more?? I'm unsure on this one I'm a deisel man.. but when we did the vic high country it was low range 1st and accosionally 2nd on the steep sections.. but I run 33" tyres so I loose a bit of gearing compared to a 31" tyre...

Tyres for doing that sorta terain I don't think will be a huge influence but a good set of all terain tyres are a good pick..

And probably the most important tip is pick your line.
As a beginner is suggest pick the flatest most direct route.. trying to mount large rocks etc adds difficulty and if you can give it a miss I'd say miss it go around it.
Once you get a feel for the car and some experience under the belt then you start pushing it.. I'm still learning. Been off roading since I was young with my olds. .
But. Don't get to beat up about it either.. your in a car that's possible 15-20 years older then your mates.. sometimes the old busses just get out powered..
that's when a little bit of no fear plays a part and you push that a bit harder.. 😈

Enjoy the ride mate..

threedogs
30th October 2015, 06:28 AM
You havent said if you selected either H4WD or L4WD have you, from inside the Patrol??

Chubba
30th October 2015, 11:26 AM
See now that's weird.. Mine has 520 thou on it and still chirps when turning under power and pretty much any gear in low range.. must be a good ..

Ok Kallen. Dose the LSD ever need to be looked at? There must be a point where you would say let's have a look at it. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the LSD is clutch plates and springs. Is that right? If so they can't last forever. 4 to 5 hundred thousand is a lot of Ks.

nissannewby
30th October 2015, 11:37 AM
Ok Kallen. Dose the LSD ever need to be looked at? There must be a point where you would say let's have a look at it. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the LSD is clutch plates and springs. Is that right? If so they can't last forever. 4 to 5 hundred thousand is a lot of Ks.

Depends on the the driving. I shimmed the one up in my old GQ and the way it got used it was back to the way it was in about 12 months. If they havent had a hard life then they will last a while. But they arent perfect even when shimmed up, if you have one wheel tucked hard into the rear guard and the other cant get any traction it will slip.

BigRAWesty
30th October 2015, 01:30 PM
Yea mine was a highway car for about 350 thou of its life..

Dancing Chicken
31st October 2015, 06:16 AM
You havent said if you selected either H4WD or L4WD have you, from inside the Patrol??

H4. I couldn't get it to go into L4. The green light came on on the dash.

threedogs
31st October 2015, 06:21 AM
I think there is the problem, if you were able to select low 4 your horse power would be doubled
giving you oodles of power, Hi 1 is still very tall as an off road gear.
Just because the light never came on doesnt mean you havent selected low 4.
But again thats where your problem is IMO
I think the others would agree too