PDA

View Full Version : How much coolant?

dpetersen
28th October 2015, 07:53 PM
G'day guys
Changed my thermostat and coolant a few weeks ago and just have a quick question.
I added 8liters of 50% Nissan coolant and 50% demineralised water, this filled the radiator and about half way between the low and high mark on the plastic overflow tank. I drove about 30ks and the temp sat on 88degrees.
The car has been sitting for the last three weeks and I've just checked the coolant tonight as I'm doing the 750k round trip to Alice springs and back tomorrow. The level was a little low and took about 200ml in the radiator and 800ml in the overflow tank to get it back between low and high. In total this is 9 liters that I have put in.
I'm thinking maybe there was an air lock but would like your thoughts on how many liters it should take in total?
2003 gu 3ltr.
Thanks in advance guys and hope you've all been well!

jack180
28th October 2015, 09:59 PM
I thought they took about 9ltrs in the ZD30. Have a good look for any signs of a leak, stains etc. Check your oil for contamination. Most likely just an airlock - the heater cores can hold a bit of air on a change.

Someone else may have some more accurate info the the quantity.

jack180
28th October 2015, 10:19 PM
actually, did a little more digging -rather than give you the wrong info - heres the exact spec from the service manual

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm24/CaptianJack/Patrol%20GU%20VII/CoolnatSpec_zpsrjleplmd.jpg

dpetersen
28th October 2015, 11:10 PM
perfect thanks jack180, will keep an eye on it and hopefully should be ok