PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 CRD output figures?

FNQGU
28th October 2015, 08:07 PM
So, today I took a brand new GU Patrol from the local dealer for a good flog. We all know the sales blurb says 118Kw, but really? And I don't mean to put shit on this icon of a vehicle that many of us own, but it seems rather sluggish! Yes it was an Auto, but it wasn't loaded with all the goodies that get chucked on, nor any of the camping gear, and only a qtr tank of fuel. They are getting a manual in for me to try tomorrow for a good comparison.

It's no wonder so many people are hanging onto the older 4.2's!

Being the driver of a converted older GU with a 6.5TD, I am probably not judging the usable torque of this engine with an unbiased mind either. I'll admit that straight up, but what sort of torque figures can you get from the 3.0 CRD engine and how much do you realistically have to spend to get it there?

Bush Ranger
28th October 2015, 09:36 PM
I drove a 2000 GU ZD30 a few years ago and thought it was slow too, thought it was a bit thirsty as well. I put the latter part down to putting my foot down to get power. At the time, I owned a naturally aspirated 2.8 litre Triton that are as gutless as a skinny person. I own a 2001 GU ZD30 that`s a manual and think it has better take off.
You may find the same and it doesn`t help when you go from a 6.5TD to a three litre motor.

Dr Gary
31st October 2015, 01:42 PM
My 2006 GU 3.0 Di was not great until it had around 10,000 km on it. And MUCH better with the Dawes and needle valve setup.
It will never go like a 6.5--remember it is less than half the capacity.
It is still sluggish climbing to Toowomba with a camper trailer.

threedogs
31st October 2015, 01:55 PM
I can whoop most 4x4 with my Di and its an auto [same vintage]
I came from a 350 chev manual to the 3ltr
I would love the torque of the chev in my mighty Di
Id like to think I have a bit more than the claimed 138Kw
with my DP chip, not much more its only a 3ltr for crying out loud.

nissannewby
31st October 2015, 04:35 PM
Yes they are a slug. Would be lucky to have 100kw at the wheels stock. It is the most under powered and under torqued engine available. Especially when you compare it to things like the new rangers colorados etc.

Looking to get rid of the chev ben? Thought about repower at all?

Maxhead
31st October 2015, 04:37 PM
I can imagine the difference between 6.5l and the 3l is a fair disappointment but IMO the 3l CRD does it's job. Although not a drag vehicle it serves it's purpose and I've been more than happy with mine.
Mind you, a little underpowered towing a 2.7T van it does the job at 19l/100. Otherwise I don't expect much more from the brick except for getting me from one side of the mountain to the other and it does it with ease at 12.5l/100

So not too bad for one of the most capable 4wd's around :)

nissannewby
31st October 2015, 04:38 PM
I can whoop most 4x4 with my Di and its an auto [same vintage]
I came from a 350 chev manual to the 3ltr
I would love the torque of the chev in my mighty Di
Id like to think I have a bit more than the claimed 138Kw
with my DP chip, not much more its only a 3ltr for crying out loud.

There are people claiming 200kw at the wheels from the crd engine. The most I have seen put on paper was 174kw.

Maxhead
31st October 2015, 04:46 PM
There are people claiming 200kw at the wheels from the crd engine. The most I have seen put on paper was 174kw.

Cool, I want 174kw...lol Would be nice:)

Mine has a 2.75" beaudesert exhaust on mine and that's it. Maybe a few tweak ups after my warranty expires in 2018...

You ganna help me ofcourse Matty:)

Hodge
31st October 2015, 05:15 PM
My CRD was a rocket after a few bits were added. Fully loaded up, it was tested at just under 100kW @ RW after being tuned and dynoed to a Unichip, with 2.75" exhaust and full dawes and needle setup. And this was on 33"s. However I repeat - this was after a bit of $ was spent on it...

Factory / stock as rock, I didn't mind the power it had, but the biggest improvement was also the cheapest... with the dawes and needle valve. This gave the car a whole new meaning with smooth spool up etc... And this was all up about $100 worth of bits and then fine tuning it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62424&stc=1

threedogs
31st October 2015, 05:35 PM
Must get a dyno one day, eh
200kw out of a CRD,,,,,,,,why????

Hodge
31st October 2015, 06:22 PM
I highly doubt it... These things go boom of the factory floor let alone pushed that far .

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

nissannewby
31st October 2015, 06:23 PM

Why put a small block in a troopy, why put an ls in a patrol.
Why? Simply just because someone wants to.

Maxhead
31st October 2015, 06:26 PM
Fuck me, just drive the fucking things !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
31st October 2015, 06:26 PM
I highly doubt it... These things go boom of the factory floor let alone pushed that far .

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeah as with anything when leant on. Even a td42 can fall apart at those sorts of figures.

There are people getting in excess of 300hp from a 3.0 d4d hilux.

Hodge
31st October 2015, 07:05 PM
Yeah as with anything when leant on. Even a td42 can fall apart at those sorts of figures.

There are people getting in excess of 300hp from a 3.0 d4d hilux.

Wow. I thought them things were not all that modifiable. Maybe an exhaust and a chip, but what else could they do ?

nissannewby
31st October 2015, 07:36 PM
Wow. I thought them things were not all that modifiable. Maybe an exhaust and a chip, but what else could they do ?

Same with any other diesel. More fuel and bigger turbos, even compound turbo setups. They are also using stand alone ecu similar to unichip, motec etc.

the evil twin
31st October 2015, 09:31 PM
By current day standards for a 3 litre the ZD30 is rubbish.

In fairness so it should be, the poor thing is nearly 20 years old from design to now.
We were all calling the Td42 a dinosaur at that age

Todays 3 litre engines are almost Drag strip spec in comparison to a ZD.
The 2.7 V6 in my territory was designed over 10 years ago and it wacks out 140 kw
Isuzu get 130 kW out of their engine and that is waay detuned.
Cummins, 155 kW out of their 2.8 in bog standard tune
Iveco, 150 kW detuned sama sama as the Isuzu...
Mercedes, 190 kW out of their 3 litre V6
etc etc

Nissannewby is right tho, thats the car and thats the engine, so if you want it then buy it, mod it and just drive it

FNQGU
2nd November 2015, 01:12 PM
Yes they are a slug. Would be lucky to have 100kw at the wheels stock. It is the most under powered and under torqued engine available. Especially when you compare it to things like the new rangers colorados etc.

Looking to get rid of the chev ben? Thought about repower at all?

Am thinking about all sorts of things at the moment mate. I drove the 3.0 CRD manual too. It has a bit more get up, or at least it felt like it. Still not convinced I can go back to a 4-pot after having the V8.

I'm taking a mates Duramax for a run this arvo :-) Apparently he is on his 7th Allison Transmission after multiple issues but Heath has hopefully got it right this time around. Might even video this. It is tricked up a fair bit.

Not that I think I'll go down this road though. Ideally I would like to solve my own issues and keep what I have as the rest of the truck is set up just about how I want it.

threedogs
2nd November 2015, 01:30 PM
Why put a small block in a troopy, why put an ls in a patrol.
Why? Simply just because someone wants to.

Put the SBC in as it was cheaper than repairing the old as god 3F motor.{chev blue flame copy]
and I suspect thats a factor in a lot of conversions if the motor lets go

@ Ben sounds like you want to stick with Nissan??

FNQGU
2nd November 2015, 02:07 PM
Well, I feel pretty comfortable with the Nissan's mate. The suspension setup is much better and so is the drivetrain. I know where everything is and what it should look like. My work trucks were all Toyota's for years (Troopy's and 100 series wagons) and then I got a GU Nissan 4.2TD ute on occasion. The aircon was a pain, and it ran hot, but it was great in the bush and comfortable. That's when I bought my GU wagon. Once the kids are gone (another 5 or so years), I'll get a ute with a pod again but I don't know if I could buy one with a 3.0litre 4 cylinder engine!

I had no issues with the Toyotas either, and really liked the Troopy, but if I switched back, I'd have to stick to the 70 series I guess. That dual cab 79 series could be alright too. Just a shame about leaf suspension, wheel track differences and that low alternator position where it fills up with mud all the time. Hope I don't get shot down for not hating Toyota... There is no perfect vehicle, comes down to what you use it for the most I guess. For me, it is remote touring, fishing and camping. Nothing too extreme needed. Just reliability and a bit of grunt when loaded and towing the boat or the future T-van.

Rock Trol
2nd November 2015, 02:09 PM
I have spent a fair bit on my crd and it goes well after 1800rpm. Just cant get that torque curve any lower.
If want low down power then the zd30 really isn't for you. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

the evil twin
2nd November 2015, 02:55 PM
snip...That dual cab 79 series could be alright too. Just a shame about leaf suspension, wheel track differences and that low alternator position where it fills up with mud all the time.

Whoever it was at Toyota that put the Alternator there is a proper tool, you can't even get at the thing to try and clean it out with WD40 or whatever.

The SES Units in my area have a mix of older NA sixes and the V8 in the troopies.
You can't kill the 6 pot with an axe but the V8 is an issue.
Our first training session after we got one the hob nobs piled into a V8 and we headed for the training area with it and a pair of 6 cyls.
The V8 promptly filled the Alternator with mud, leaves and crap and immediately shit itself... not during training but on the bloody 2WD track in!!!
A bloke and his kid in a Holden Ute with some dirt bikes in the tray even made it.

700mm wading depth my arse

Rock Trol
2nd November 2015, 04:01 PM
The 79 series with twin diff locks goes really well. I was at the Morgan quarry on the weekend with the club and one of the members has just traded in his GU for a 79. We both did all the hard climbs that needed lockers and even though they don't flex, the torque and low gearing along with twin diff locks can get the anywhere.

As for the alternator, that is a problem. According to Ronnie Dahl from Youtube you can get a sealed water cooled version for it. Don't know how much but this guy has already changed 2-3 alternators due to mud.

nissannewby
2nd November 2015, 09:58 PM
Whoever it was at Toyota that put the Alternator there is a proper tool, you can't even get at the thing to try and clean it out with WD40 or whatever.

The SES Units in my area have a mix of older NA sixes and the V8 in the troopies.
You can't kill the 6 pot with an axe but the V8 is an issue.
Our first training session after we got one the hob nobs piled into a V8 and we headed for the training area with it and a pair of 6 cyls.
The V8 promptly filled the Alternator with mud, leaves and crap and immediately shit itself... not during training but on the bloody 2WD track in!!!
A bloke and his kid in a Holden Ute with some dirt bikes in the tray even made it.

700mm wading depth my arse

Alternator is in a great position compared to the bloody starter. They put the starters in the valley so half the fuel system and manifold etc etc has to come off. Some of the fuel system gear is single use only as well so gets awfully expensive. When I was working up north toyota were quoting 12hrs for a starter motor.

nissannewby
2nd November 2015, 10:00 PM
Am thinking about all sorts of things at the moment mate. I drove the 3.0 CRD manual too. It has a bit more get up, or at least it felt like it. Still not convinced I can go back to a 4-pot after having the V8.

I'm taking a mates Duramax for a run this arvo :-) Apparently he is on his 7th Allison Transmission after multiple issues but Heath has hopefully got it right this time around. Might even video this. It is tricked up a fair bit.

Not that I think I'll go down this road though. Ideally I would like to solve my own issues and keep what I have as the rest of the truck is set up just about how I want it.

I feel taking a duramax for a drive might end up being a problem for your wallet. They move a long very well. The allison is what makes them though and the tow haul mode is absolutely fantastic.

FNQGU
2nd November 2015, 10:40 PM
It was pretty f..king unbelievable, even a bit scary in the 5th tune! 600hp under your right boot! A Garrett turbo that started with a 7 number instead of a 2 or a 3 number... Not for the faint hearted. The Daily Driver tune still had 400hp, which has to be plenty in any mans game. Yep, that Allison was super smooth. Nothing like the Nissan box with the beefed up valve body that I've got on mine, and I don't complain about that either. Its a complex setup but with the computer, there is almost nothing you can't set it up for. The owner of this vehicle said that Heath had gone well and truly out of his way to rectify the box when things did not exactly work out, even offering his own truck for this Cape Trip if it wasn't ready.

nissannewby
2nd November 2015, 11:03 PM
Yeah they are a different beast. 400hp daily is heaps. That is probably 3 times as much as your 6.5 with twice the torque and a far superior box to suit. The duramax powered one I drove had its tow mode set up so that the torque converter locked after 50km/hr in second. This made for awesome acceleration and the downshifts allowed engine breaking. This particular one apparently had 500hp and was in a ute. 35s had trouble keeping tracction until most of the way through 3rd.

threedogs
3rd November 2015, 01:55 PM
I wonder what Chaz's or Rumjas's motors are acheiving .??
Or are all the mods more for reliability or towing duties ??