PDA

View Full Version : Sliders and Aux Tanks

Throbbinhood
27th October 2015, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, starting to look at sliders for my GQ LWB, and looking at the clamp around style..

Just had a couple of questions - Does anyone have any pictures of where these sliders generally clamp to the chassis? I've got a LRA Aux tank which is a tight fit to the chassis, and I'm hoping it's not going to be in the way (or worse, I have to drop the tank, pita!).

Also, the brake lines run alone the drivers chassis rail, as well as some electrics, do the clamps interfere with these?

threedogs
27th October 2015, 04:08 PM
PITB with a long range tank , doable but a pain

Throbbinhood
27th October 2015, 04:15 PM
PITB with a long range tank , doable but a pain

You wouldn't happen to have a pic by chance? Just trying to see how much hurt I'm in for..

Really wish that I'd reversed the bolt for the lower arm too, if I ever bend it I think I'll just cut the bolt out and get a new one haha

threedogs
27th October 2015, 04:22 PM
Its just tight trying to put a spanner on the nut to tighten it up,
Not much room as I said , sorry no pics but a long ring spanner should do the trick
Mine only has an AUX tank BTW

Throbbinhood
27th October 2015, 04:30 PM
Its just tight trying to put a spanner on the nut to tighten it up,
Not much room as I said , sorry no pics but a long ring spanner should do the trick
Mine only has an AUX tank BTW
Mine has an aux tank as well (don't think it's long range, 70L)? But guessing will be the same issue :(

lhurley
27th October 2015, 04:57 PM
its going to suck. its not that easy without a long range sub, just a standard one. if you undo the clip holding the wires and stuff to the chassis, the slider can fit up underneath all the wiring

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks lhurley

dom14
29th October 2015, 10:04 AM
Mine has an aux tank as well (don't think it's long range, 70L)? But guessing will be the same issue :(

What is your tank setup? Two tanks or one tank?
What are their capacities?

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 10:17 AM
Normal main (rear tank), think it's 85L or whatever is factory. Then have a centre aux tank, about 70-75L ish I think.

It hurts when I fill them both up.

dom14
29th October 2015, 04:25 PM
Normal main (rear tank), think it's 85L or whatever is factory. Then have a centre aux tank, about 70-75L ish I think.

It hurts when I fill them both up.

Ok, cool. I thought the factory tank was around 40L or so. Then subtank behind it at the back of the chassis, which is around the same or so.

Mine is dual fuel. There's only one petrol tank which is around 68L, installed by Long Range Automotive, Lilydale.
I've been told the subtank(or the main tank?!) was removed to make room for the LPG tank at the back.

That's the information I was given about the factory tank setup of the RB30. But, I dunno the accuracy of the info though.
I'll have a look into the Gregory's & Haynes manuals to see what's in there.

In the meantime, correct me if I'm wrong about the above info.

P.S. BTW, convert to LPG if it hurts a lot. :D
All depend on the number of k's you do.
It will take some time to get the money back that you spend on the conversion though.

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 04:50 PM
As far as I was aware, GQ's only came out with the one tank from factory, around 85L (at the rear). This could be different for diese/ute variants. Certainly my GQ only had the one tank until I installed the aux tank.

Yeah, my Aux tank is an LRA, so 68L is probably right, add in fuel in the line etc, and it probably feels like a bit more.
For Gas, normally the rear tank is removed, and then they add an aux tank in the centre - depending on the gas mob these can be 30/40/50/70L units from what I've seen.

As for converting to LPG, I do too many kms offroad in the high country, often switching between the tanks well before I get to a servo, so while it would save me money, I'd be losing a lot of my off road 'range'. Aside from which, too many servo's still don't have LPG. Would be nice for the local trips though.

liftlid
29th October 2015, 05:26 PM
GQ main tank is 95 lt.
aux. tank is 73 lt

dom14
30th October 2015, 12:26 AM
Thanx guys. Yeah, it's kinda clear to me now. I obviously got the wrong info.
LPG can work if you got three tanks. I got two atm and the third one going in soon(scuba tank).
With all the three tanks in, around 230L total capacity, I wil effectively get 1000km+ of range full tank on LPG, and coupled with petrol tank and some jerry cans, I should be ok.
Yeah, my idea is to fill all three LPG tanks at the last cheapest LPG station before I head deeper into the wilderness. :)

GQ TANK
26th November 2015, 07:09 AM
To answer the original question.

I have LPG and have had both sizes of sub-tanks (55 and 75 L) - (im currently looking for another sub tank - as I keep damaging them off road - next tank will have a bash guard)

I made my sliders that clamp around the chassis in 2 places, and mounted at the front?

There was enough room between the tank / chassis for the slider bracket.

I had to bend the brake lines run alone the drivers chassis rail, away from the chassis to give room and ensur that the would not rub on the slider (onlt were the brackets were)

Dom could you pls provide details as were your LPG tanks are mounted and size