PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Exhaust Question

iansmini67
25th October 2015, 05:54 PM
Hi All,
New to the forum and thought I should ask about exhaust systems.

I have just replaced my engine in my ST after the dreaded 3.0 big bang. The new engine has just 112,000k. Am about to fit all the NADS stuff and although now broke my mother In law is going to lend a hand with a 1000 bucks. Thought I might put it into an exhaust. Just wondering if anybody has used the 3"stainless 'Berklee' exhaust from 4wd supercentre. Seem to read OK. and at the right price.
Any comments would be good.

Cheers
Ian

Hodge
25th October 2015, 06:04 PM
G'day mate. Welcome to the forum.
Most 3" exhaust will be ok on the 3L. Some 3L overboost a little bit with a 3" exhaust and this may cause limp mode. Dawes and needle valve will help with this, if that happens. You should have the dawes setup regardless as it helps a lot to tame the stupid way the factory ECU controls the boost.

What exactly happened to your original 3L ? What year was it and what year motor going back in ?

Cheers mate.

4bye4
25th October 2015, 06:08 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Should be a good buy and when doing NADS is a good time to fit a new exhaust as you have to take it apart to fit your EGT sensor.

Woof
25th October 2015, 06:11 PM
Hey mate, slip over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions and post up an introduction, it is something we like all new members to do before asking for assistance...

iansmini67
25th October 2015, 07:20 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies.

The car was running great from Coffs Harbour heading toward Sydney towing a box trailer.....with a bit of weight in it, though I started to get limp mode here and there around Urunga and Macksville. I was really driving the car with care as well, No over revving or labouring knowing the bang problems can occur. The car had done a few K's as well (340,000) so was trying to look after her. I have heard that driving the guts out of them is better than granny driving........Reduces carbon build up, Correct?
Just left the dual lane Kempsey bypass through the road works and heading up Cooperabung range doing just 80kmph then bang! black smoke and rattling its ring off. Pulled over and didn't even lift the bonnet. Mass of oil all over the road. Its All over.

When I eventually got it to the mechanic and had the engine removed, they said I'd blown the guts out of No.4 piston. It has also blown out all four injector lines that go into the head. Sorry I could be wrong here, Don't know much about them. They found me an exchange motor that looks brand new with just 112,00 K's on it. Its from a 2001 model and my car is 2000. Could not afford the expense or time off the road to do a TD42 conversion. Also could not find a low K's later model motor worth buying. Its my work car so need it back going ASAP.

As mentioned above, have bought all the NADS stuff though its not all here yet. I am assuming not much damage has been done in just 100 thousand or so K's so will fit the NADS now. Don't need any special exhaust or chips etc. Not really interested in performance or even extreme off-road. Just need it reliable and want to be able to tow a smallish trailer without hassle. It would need to make the NADS work better otherwise its a waist. Thought I should ask what you all thought of the 4WD Supercentre ones.

The other option is a roo systems one, but they start at $990 for standard steel, or have one custom made. I figured the proprietary ones have been made to suit and tested? Any others under a grand worth looking at?

Any further comments would be great.

nipagu7
25th October 2015, 09:11 PM
I got the stainless supacenter exhaust , seems good . harder to take the old one off than fit the new one . the centremount bracket that mounts up at the gearbox is hard mounted , I didn't think at the time , but I could have modified the old rubber mount bracket and clamped the new pipe bracket to it . but I have tossed the old unit .