PDA

View Full Version : Amount of gear oil for GQ Patrol

Kristofer go
24th October 2015, 02:45 AM
I am going to change the gear oil in the front axel, gear box, and rear axel. How many gallons or quarts will I need to do this job? Thank you for your help! Is there a preferred brand and viscosity rating I should use?

ashmccormick
25th October 2015, 01:09 PM
Hi mate,

Gear box- about 4 litres, 80-90w gear oil
Front Differential (axle) - about 5 litres, 80-90w gear oil
Rear Differential (axle) - about 2.5 litres, 90-120w LSD oil. You need to check whether you have an LSD or not, my GQ does. If not LSD then 80-90w oil should be fine.
I would do the transfer case too while youre at it, another 2 litres or so of 80-90w oil.

In Australia the best brand is probably Penrite, but its expensive. Castrol etc. are all fine, just use what your budget allows.

Make sure the filler plug opens before you drop the oil, otherwise youre gonna be in a world of pain, Good luck :smiley_thumbs_up:

growler2058
25th October 2015, 01:12 PM
I use the 1/2 inch drive of an electric rattle gun to undo my fillers. They can be drum tight!

ashmccormick
25th October 2015, 04:36 PM
I use the 1/2 inch drive of an electric rattle gun to undo my fillers. They can be drum tight!

Yeh mate, I helped a mate service his oils and the last guy had them unbelievably tight plus used a ton of sealant too! couldnt get them out with a breaker bar or my cordless rattle gun!

dom14
27th October 2015, 04:40 PM
Yeh mate, I helped a mate service his oils and the last guy had them unbelievably tight plus used a ton of sealant too! couldnt get them out with a breaker bar or my cordless rattle gun!

He probably used threadlocking compound. Silicone sealant shouldn't tight it that bad. If you can't get it out with a breaker bar, not sure what good a rattle gun does.
I never use silicone sealant or any type of threadlocker. Teflon tape is the best way to go.
BTW, all stock GQ rears are LSD. I think even if you modify it with a diff locker etc, it still stays as an LSD.

I used couple of 10-12mm thickness bolts from bunnings and cut & filed them to make my own tool. Pretty easy & quick when you do the job with an angle grinder and a file combined. Use the angle grinder for the most part, then use a file to fine tune the shape. One tool for gearbox & the other for diffs. 1/2 inch rods aren't perfect. If you end up rounding the bung plug, you are in for trouble.

mudski
28th October 2015, 09:46 AM

Need a bigger rattle gun then mate.... :smileyvault-cute-bi

But yeah. Undo the filler first. Always....

ashmccormick
29th October 2015, 05:45 PM
He probably used threadlocking compound. Silicone sealant shouldn't tight it that bad. If you can't get it out with a breaker bar, not sure what good a rattle gun does.
I never use silicone sealant or any type of threadlocker. Teflon tape is the best way to go.
BTW, all stock GQ rears are LSD. I think even if you modify it with a diff locker etc, it still stays as an LSD.

I used couple of 10-12mm thickness bolts from bunnings and cut & filed them to make my own tool. Pretty easy & quick when you do the job with an angle grinder and a file combined. Use the angle grinder for the most part, then use a file to fine tune the shape. One tool for gearbox & the other for diffs. 1/2 inch rods aren't perfect. If you end up rounding the bung plug, you are in for trouble.

Good idea that one mate! I have noticed that its not a perfect fit, but as long as I was the last person to tighten it up I know it wont be on so tight that I start rounding it off haha!

ashmccormick
29th October 2015, 05:47 PM
Need a bigger rattle gun then mate.... :smileyvault-cute-bi

But yeah. Undo the filler first. Always....

Haha youre not wrong there mate!