View Full Version : Air compressor in rear

Winnie
23rd October 2015, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, I am going to install my ARB compressor in the car this weekend and just have a quick question.

I have space under the bonnet for the compressor, but I'm thinking that screwing it to the side of the drawers will be a better option.
It's gonna be a crap load easier to install and the hose will reach my camper tyres.
Could there be any reason why I shouldn't install it there? It will be used for tyre inflating and air locker activation.

gaddy
23rd October 2015, 07:54 PM
Dunno , but reckon ya should add cargo area to the title .....unless

TimE
23rd October 2015, 08:20 PM
You can buy an extension hose from ARB for around $30 to help reach the camper from under the bonnet, that is what I do. For me under bonnet was better, left space by the drawers for other things.

Winnie
23rd October 2015, 08:29 PM
You can buy an extension hose from ARB for around $30 to help reach the camper from under the bonnet, that is what I do. For me under bonnet was better, left space by the drawers for other things.
Thanks mate. More so wondering if there would be any issues having it in the rear (cargo area)
I will pop into ARB tomorrow and see what they say

nissannewby
23rd October 2015, 08:36 PM
Can you put it inside the rear quarter, similar to what 040FF did.

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2015, 08:49 PM
I'll be mounting mine in where the jack goes..
It's a good solid mount.

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2015, 06:53 AM
You can remove the jack mount so you can bolt it up on the bench as long as it fits in that holder.

I have mine bolted to the floor in the side of my rear drawers winnie

AB
24th October 2015, 06:55 AM
I think Winnie wants to leave as much room under the bonnet because after the locker goes in we all know the next thing is a giant airbox ;)

Winnie
24th October 2015, 07:25 AM
I think Winnie wants to leave as much room under the bonnet because after the locker goes in we all know the next thing is a giant airbox ;)

Yeah that's in the back of my mind too...
Any issues with activating lockers in that location Darren? The right hand wing of my drawers is unused anyway so it's the perfect spot really.

BigRAWesty
24th October 2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah that's in the back of my mind too...
Any issues with activating lockers in that location Darren? The right hand wing of my drawers is unused anyway so it's the perfect spot really.
I can't see any reason for there to be issues..
It would be like a rear locker and compressor mounted in the front..

threedogs
24th October 2015, 08:37 AM
Just make sure you have the correct wire size for the run to the rear.
A long way from the battery and they pull a few amps when working

Winnie
24th October 2015, 08:43 AM
Just make sure you have the correct wire size for the run to the rear.
A long way from the battery and they pull a few amps when working

Yep, already catered for.

liftlid
24th October 2015, 09:00 AM
You can get a diff oil smell in the car if you don't set up the plumbing to vent properly, I think ARB sell the kit to stop it happening

AB
24th October 2015, 09:07 AM
You can get a diff oil smell in the car if you don't set up the plumbing to vent properly, I think ARB sell the kit to stop it happening I think they have sorted that now Gary, mines under the seat and I haven't smelt anything.

BigRAWesty
24th October 2015, 09:08 AM
You can get a diff oil smell in the car if you don't set up the plumbing to vent properly, I think ARB sell the kit to stop it happening
Surly not that hard to put one together..
Run a small tube from exhaust port threw a grommet with a filter on the end..

Rossco
24th October 2015, 09:13 AM
No probs mounting it in the rear just need to modify the loom which I'm sure you'll be right with.
Pros of under bonnet - Closer to battery, loom will reach everything, quieter, no smells (don't no how much of an issue this is anyway), more room in cab. Pros in car - more room under bonnet closer to rear (but you can get extension hoses), cleaner so better for compressor.

Have fun, you'll love the ARB one they're a bloody good unit. . .

threedogs
24th October 2015, 09:32 AM

Its called a Pro-Locker lol

liftlid
24th October 2015, 09:45 AM
Its called a Pro-Locker lol
Good luck lol

threedogs
24th October 2015, 09:58 AM
Are you going to run a small hotdog style tank for the locker???

Winnie
24th October 2015, 10:14 AM
Are you going to run a small hotdog style tank for the locker???

No, not needed. I can deal with the compressor kicking in for 5 seconds every 15 mins or so.

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2015, 03:33 PM
Mounting in the rear is no trouble. You will obviously need to alter the loom. I would consider running a single airline from the back to under the seat to an ally manifold for the solenoids so you don't have to run all you activation wiring and hoses all the way to the back.

I would install the vent kit for the solenoids though. You have been lucky ab. Not hard to make as it's basically just more air line from the exhaust port on each solenoid. Without it they vent to the cabin.

threedogs
24th October 2015, 05:05 PM
You could also run some air line front and rear then you'll only need 2 mtrs of hose to re-inflate your tyres
Thats if you are going to use it for your tyres . I did it was great very simple to do as you know

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2015, 05:47 PM
In the GQ I have an airline fitting under both front seats.

In the GUIV I have the fitting at the back only and my hose will reach all 4 wheels and also reach my camper trailer.

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2015, 05:51 PM
Not a great pic but you can see my compressor is there along with my water pump and fuse block.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/381.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

Rossko07
27th October 2015, 10:15 PM
Did you get the air comp fitted? For my own reasons I wont be fitting mine inside at all due to my three boys. I'd rather not have a noisy comp inside when they possibly could be asleep being young lads. Engine bay will suit me better.

Winnie
28th October 2015, 06:18 AM
Did you get the air comp fitted? For my own reasons I wont be fitting mine inside at all due to my three boys. I'd rather not have a noisy comp inside when they possibly could be asleep being young lads. Engine bay will suit me better.
Yeah I did mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/418.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/419.jpg

threedogs
28th October 2015, 08:29 AM

Be mindfull of the thermal cut out on some compressors , engine bay temps will trip the thermal switch.
Not familiar with ARB compressors but someone could tell you.
Or just leave it in a case and use with decent alligator clips on the battery, its not a race. lol

GeeYou8
27th February 2016, 08:38 AM
, mines under the seat .
Had my trusty old Thomas under the bonnet in the GQ, under the drivers seat in the GU2, there was even a nice vent to blow cooling air over it. I only used it for tyre inflation.
My fear of air bag interference/detonation means it will probably end up under the bonnet of the GU8.
Graham

mudnut
27th February 2016, 10:08 AM
I have my ARB compressor under a rear passenger seat, and have run the intake via a hose to a quarter panel trim. That gives the pump more chance of survival if water enters the cab. The extra length has quietened down the pump too. I have also used a small food container to seal the solenoid in as well.

strider
11th August 2016, 01:30 AM
I purchased my ARB compressor at Christmas time and put it in the rear drawers. It's still in the box and waiting to be fitted. Ooops. I like this idea of fitting in next to the drawers as it keeps it nice and clean. Are there any issues with it not getting enough airflow in there?

Winnie
11th August 2016, 08:56 AM
I purchased my ARB compressor at Christmas time and put it in the rear drawers. It's still in the box and waiting to be fitted. Ooops. I like this idea of fitting in next to the drawers as it keeps it nice and clean. Are there any issues with it not getting enough airflow in there?
When pumping up tyres I leave the barn door open and take the cover off the wing so it gets enough air.

AB
11th August 2016, 09:20 AM
When pumping up tyres I leave the barn door open and take the cover off the wing so it gets enough air. Yep, and can pump up the camper or trailer tyres with ease.

liftlid
11th August 2016, 09:33 AM
It's just going to be noisy for the kids/missus sitting in the car whilst you pump up in the rain etc

Winnie
11th August 2016, 09:36 AM
It's not too bad really.

mudnut
11th August 2016, 10:20 AM
I have the compressor under a passenger seat. To protect the compressor from water ingestion, I ran a hose and mounted the filter in the quarter panel trim. As a bonus, the noise is greatly reduced.

mudski
11th August 2016, 10:33 AM
I have the compressor under a passenger seat. To protect the compressor from water ingestion, I ran a hose and mounted the filter in the quarter panel trim. As a bonus, the noise is greatly reduced.

Same.... But the vibrations when its running my missus gets a kick out of though for some reason.:tease:

liftlid
11th August 2016, 11:40 AM
It's not too bad really.
sleeping baby?

Winnie
11th August 2016, 11:43 AM
sleeping baby?
It's just as soothing as an idling TD42 lol. Maybe I will record the sounds and play it to my baby at night time.

liftlid
11th August 2016, 02:38 PM
It's just as soothing as an idling TD42 lol. Maybe I will record the sounds and play it to my baby at night time.
Not a bad idea, we put cooper in the ft room of our house, got heaps of traffic noise he can now sleep anywhere

BigRAWesty
12th August 2016, 12:58 AM
It's not too bad really.
Yea I agree.
Mine is in the rear 1/4 and it's noticeable but not loud..
It'll be quiter once I get some sound dampener in on the outter skin.......

Sprock
12th August 2016, 01:06 AM
Same.... But the vibrations when its running my missus gets a kick out of though for some reason.:tease:

😝Hahaha so does she randomly flick the air locker switch in & out going down the hwy just so the compressor kicks in ?😏

mudski
13th August 2016, 10:17 PM
😝Hahaha so does she randomly flick the air locker switch in & out going down the hwy just so the compressor kicks in ?😏
Its not the only thing she flicks when the compressor runs. Lol

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Sprock
13th August 2016, 10:39 PM
BAHAHAHA I'll never be able to look at her the same 😏

Winnie
13th August 2016, 11:11 PM
Its not the only thing she flicks when the compressor runs. Lol

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
Come on Mark . We all know that is not true!

BigRAWesty
13th August 2016, 11:18 PM
Hes jelous that he's in the drivers seat...

Kimbo63
14th August 2016, 09:42 AM
Winnie mate sticking the compressor in your rear is going to hurt recommend you put it in the cargo area lol

mudski
14th August 2016, 07:15 PM

You wait bucko when you get to my age with two kids. The dreams somehow feel like reality when you think hard enough about it. :D. There'd be plenty here that can vouch for that. Lol. God help me when I get older.

jay see
14th August 2016, 08:31 PM
You wait bucko when you get to my age with two kids. The dreams somehow feel like reality when you think hard enough about it. :D. There'd be plenty here that can vouch for that. Lol. God help me when I get older.
I feel your pain😥

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sprock
15th August 2016, 12:29 AM
I've got 5 kids - come n talk to me about perceptions of reality 1 day if you're game 😝

threedogs
15th August 2016, 03:24 PM
I had the compressor in the rear quarter panel in my other 4x4, from there I ran 12mm teflon hose front and rear.
that had a quick release nitto fitting [female] in the rear bar next to the water tap and another that ran to the front with another
nitto fitting [Female] in the bullbar came in very handy only needed a 2mtr length of hose