PDA

View Full Version : The catch can thread

threedogs
21st October 2015, 12:04 PM
Hi all I have an alloy catch can wiyth the sight tube on the side, works a treat.
From reading I think it could be better if I put some king of medium in it to "catch" the fumes better
I saw one post with alloy sheeting that was cut with tin snips into small curly shards.
Would a scourer type steel wool pad pulled apart and "fluffed " up do the same thing.
open to any ideas. Doesnt seem right the way it is.

jff45
21st October 2015, 01:11 PM
Do you mean this one?

You also need a partition, if it doesn't have one, to make the fumes pass through the condensing medium.

threedogs
21st October 2015, 02:23 PM
is that to seperate the inlet and outlet

jff45
21st October 2015, 04:17 PM
is that to seperate the inlet and outlet

Yep, so the fumes come in one side and have to pass through the pigtails to get out the other side.

megatexture
21st October 2015, 09:10 PM
Put bolts in where the clear hose is 3d or keep an eye on it as it will split

johnonline1
29th November 2015, 03:43 PM
I have a 2015 y61 3.0L CRD can you recommend an oil catch can seller or style o need to suit my 4x4.
There are so many i don't know which one is suitable for my car, i know i need 16mm in and out as thats the size of my barbs for the OEM breather from the rocker cover to the air inlet.
Do i buy a $60 unit or spend $100+ is more expense better or is it the fillter media inside that does it all.
Also does anyone know if it will affect my warranty.
any help would be good and mybe some links to seller.

LaughingBeagles
29th November 2015, 10:26 PM
Mate, I would not touch anything on the engine until warranty is over. Would hate to see you lose a claim die to the fine print.

Tap tap tap

mudski
30th November 2015, 04:28 PM
The cheap cans usually have nothing in them, not even a baffle. Useless at tits on a bull....
The Provent 200 series cans are good. The have a filter that you can remove and clean. The M&H units are around $170ish or there is the chinse copies.
The cheap chinese copies are fine, i used to sell them, sold thousands of them, i use one myself and all the claims about them are rubbish imo. I never had one come back with issues. Anyhow, steer clear of these units with the washable stainless filter. They dont filter near as good as the original fibre style filter.
I used to get 125ml of oil, give or take a few ml, on a 5k service. I ran a washable filter and got 40ml at best. The intake was oily too.
As for warranty, i cant see it being an issue. Plenty fit them from new. But as a precaution, contact your dealer and ask them.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

GeeYou8
14th December 2015, 10:01 PM
I was thinking the aluminium filter medium that they use in range hoods.