PDA

View Full Version : Cannot remove fuel filter, feel like idiot!

Popster
21st October 2015, 11:48 AM
I own an '89 Safari with the TD42 non-turbo. It's been running poorly. It's acting like it's fuel starved (sputtering) above 1500 rpm. The air filter change didn't help. I have a new fuel filter< but the old one won't come off. Any tips? It looks old. I've owned the vehicle since '09 and had it regularly serviced, but I don't recall the fuel filter being replaced. Threads on this site, plus a helpful member (thanks Chimo!) have also suggested air is getting into the system via the fuel lines, but they look sound on this one. Plus, I'd like to see how a new fuel filter helps before delving deeper.

Stropp
21st October 2015, 12:04 PM
use a filter removal strap tool or worst case drive a screwdriver through it so you can undo it, they should never be that tight but sometimes they get over tightened.

TimE
21st October 2015, 12:09 PM
Don't put a screwdriver through it. If that doesn't get it off you're fcucked. Use a strap wrench as suggested.

liftlid
21st October 2015, 12:10 PM
Sometimes you have to unbolt the filter bracket and turn it upside down and bolt back on, then you can get at it better.

AB
21st October 2015, 12:12 PM
Do both as suggested above.

Reverse the bracket so the filter is pointing upwards and use the removal strap.

They sometimes fuse together making it a pain to get off!

threedogs
21st October 2015, 01:08 PM
From memory I think I removed mine and placed it in a vice,
only hand tight too when you re-fit it, as in nipped and a tad more

Popster
21st October 2015, 05:11 PM
I have the strap removal tool and failed. I'm not a fan of punching a hole in it. If it is seized, as I suspect, are there any ways to un-seize it, other than with a tactical application of force? I will probably remove the filter and bracket assembly and stick it in a vice upside down . Thanks for the tips!

dom14
21st October 2015, 11:58 PM
I have the strap removal tool and failed. I'm not a fan of punching a hole in it. If it is seized, as I suspect, are there any ways to un-seize it, other than with a tactical application of force? I will probably remove the filter and bracket assembly and stick it in a vice upside down . Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I think that's the safest strategy. You might also wanna consider a complete clean up of the fuel tank(need to lower the tank) as well as fuel lines. Diesel has a reputation for bio contamination over time. I would definitely do a good tank clean up, provided the injector pump is in good nick.

Bigcol
22nd October 2015, 12:35 AM
also there is sometimes a small gauze filter inside where the fuel line goes into the Injector pump

some TD42's have it, some dont..............

Gauze Filter can be found about 20mm under the level of the bolt head.

it looks like a very small thimble
This "thimble" filter is only about 3-4mm in diameter.
Clean up around the top of the injector pump

Looking straight down from above.
The banjo fitting on the inlet section of the pump is the one that is closest to the front of the engine and has a steel fuel line which runs to it via the gap between the back of the pump and the block. The line that feeds the fitting runs between the pump and the block.
Undo this bolt, and remove it.
remove fuel line - dont loose the copper washers, one on top, one under neath
There should be enough movement in the banjo fitting to push it clear of the hole it feeds beneath the fitting, or you can just work through the hole in the fitting the bolt came out of (harder).
get a small safety pin - ( 25mm long closed) - open it up, straiten it out, and make a small 90* bend on the last 3-5 mm ( so it goes into the hole the bolt came out of)
Now feel down inside the pump, about 15-20mm deep, and try to hook the filter out. It is a stainless gauze filter (approx 3mm deep, 3-4 mm in dia), with a brass ring around the top edge.
being very careful, gently feed safety pin into fuel hole, and see if you can "jag" onto the gauze filter, and lift it out
once you get it out (if you have one) using spray can of degreaser, or compressed air, spray the living shyte out of it to remove all the "gunk"

if you hold it up to the light, and cannot see through it - keep spraying until you do
put it all back together again reversal of pulling it apart
once you have done that, and also replaced the main filter, pump the black knob until you have full fuel pressure

bobs your uncle