PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Milkshake killed my Auto - suggestion for a new Auto for GU II ? SE QLD

ozjeff
19th October 2015, 01:52 PM
Went for a lovely drive through Keyholes on Straddie on the weekend, but turned out I had a split in my breather hose so my transmission fluid became a lovely strawberry milkshake :1092:

Was hoping a flush would do the trick, but she's gone. Guess I should have got it towed home rather than driving it home at a snails pace. But after the flush still can't get past 2nd.

So looks like rebuild time. Anyone recommendations for auto transmissions in SE QLD (Gold Coast -> Brisbane) ?

Or any suggestions of putting something else in there (donk is an n LS1).

Or anyone selling one?

Bloodyaussie
19th October 2015, 02:07 PM
Lesson there for everyone I think...

Sir Roofy
19th October 2015, 02:16 PM
breather pipes on most of the autos scary things they just suck and suck when hot

threedogs
19th October 2015, 02:52 PM
Lesson there for everyone I think...

who checks the condition of their breather hoses before venturing into water

what about the 4 speed 700R. or try a 6 speed off something

Parksy
19th October 2015, 08:21 PM
who checks the condition of their breather hoses before venturing into water

what about the 4 speed 700R. or try a 6 speed off something

I for one would, now knowing the possible consequences. Not that I own an auto, but I'm well aware of the implications.

nissannewby
19th October 2015, 08:36 PM
What engine?

ozjeff
20th October 2015, 07:39 AM
What engine?

She's got an LS1

threedogs
20th October 2015, 07:48 AM
I for one would, now knowing the possible consequences. Not that I own an auto, but I'm well aware of the implications.

Must be the only person as no one Ive ever gone 4x4ing with have never got out checked their breather hoses got back in and driven a water crossing.
It may be something you do every year or so. Since fitting my breathers Ive never checked them, not say thats a good thing. I use teflon tubing
so very hard to split.

Would be nice with a 6 speed behind a LS1 what a low first that would be,,,,,??????

lhurley
20th October 2015, 08:12 AM
If you change your box you will need to get a different adapter.

Rebuilding the auto will be around $4k ( personal experience)

2nd hand box will easily be around the same mark, but for a 2nd hand box

ozjeff
20th October 2015, 08:39 AM
Yeah the LS1 only went in in June and breather was fine then. But yeah will look at that teflon solution.

Yeah thinking 6 speed, drove one a couple weeks back while it was being programmed.

$4K - ouch, I've got 2 quotes for rebuilds for under $3K fitted (both reputable transmission places) - so will see how much a 6 speed will cost.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 10:14 AM
Give Mark French a ring at Mark's Adaptors and see what he has to say.
Ive found him very approachable about conversion problems.
I did a 350 into a troopy 20 yrs now Wow that long LOL

Bacho86
20th October 2015, 10:22 AM
Give Mark French a ring at Mark's Adaptors and see what he has to say.

I thought mark had sold the business and moved on a while back... Could be mistaken though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chubba
20th October 2015, 10:52 AM
Ok showing my ignorance here but diff breathers yeah easy to find but where would I find the auto trans breather?

jff45
20th October 2015, 11:07 AM
Ok showing my ignorance here but diff breathers yeah easy to find but where would I find the auto trans breather?

Here..

Chubba
20th October 2015, 11:17 AM
jff45. FYG. Cheers mate.

lhurley
20th October 2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah the LS1 only went in in June and breather was fine then. But yeah will look at that teflon solution.

Yeah thinking 6 speed, drove one a couple weeks back while it was being programmed.

$4K - ouch, I've got 2 quotes for rebuilds for under $3K fitted (both reputable transmission places) - so will see how much a 6 speed will cost.

Depending on the extent of damage, but I minced mine completely and it cost $4300. Started out as a 2k rebuild.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 11:55 AM
Have you given Whole sale Automatics a call, they sell beefed up autos for conversions

nissannewby
20th October 2015, 07:15 PM
She's got an LS1

I take it your using the patrol trans? For availability I would be having a good look at going to the gm trans especially the 6 speed as you have pointed out.

Jodaniels
31st October 2015, 04:13 PM
I just found out my auto breather was blocked the other day. I could hear this hissing noise while I was airing down the tyres and traced it inside the bonnet to the trans dipstick, cracked it open and heard a big rush of air. next weekends job will be checking and cleaning\replacing all breathers on the car for peace of mind.

NissanGQ4.2
31st October 2015, 08:01 PM

I rebuild my GQ auto for around $1600, so yeh 3k would sound about right.

Shame you weren't in Sydney I would sell you mine for $1500 if it was the same gearbox

ozjeff
2nd November 2015, 07:36 PM

I take the Ouch back, or I apply to myself. $4K as well with heavy duty this and that so it can easily handle the V8.

Going the rebuild route as spoke to some with 6 speed experience and said it's not as good as it's made out to be.