PDA

View Full Version : Fault Codes GU 4.2

Llewd
18th October 2015, 11:37 AM
Does anyone out there know what fault code 21 is indicating on my 2004 GU 4.2 any help would be appriecated.
Sorry that code apparently reads P0201 Thanks for your replies thus far

MudRunnerTD
18th October 2015, 11:39 AM
where are you getting that reading from?

nissannewby
18th October 2015, 11:46 AM
Is the MIL on as well?

Yendor
18th October 2015, 01:04 PM
Start with checking cleaning the connections in the plug at the timing control valve in the injector pump.

Llewd
18th October 2015, 03:46 PM
You bridge the terminals 6 & 7 and count the flashes of the engine fault indicator light according to Haynes manual

Yendor
18th October 2015, 04:17 PM
You bridge the terminals 6 & 7 and count the flashes of the engine fault indicator light according to Haynes manual

We've taken the time to respond to your post how about the same courtesy!!. We might be able/willing to help you then.

Has the check engine (MIL) warning light come on?. Any noticeable drop in engine performs or sound?

Or have you just decided to bridge those terminal and see what happens?

Llewd
18th October 2015, 09:34 PM
Yendor I'm all registered and my intro is up and running . The Mil light came on I turned around and put it in the garage. I have a haynes manual where I read about bridging the terminals. I am an apprentice trained mechanic admittedly out of the game for a long time . My mate how also is a mechanic with 30 yrs experience in all aspects of the trade . Currently working for Westrac as a fully qualified heavy duty fitter. He does own a Snap On diaognastic computor but the only conector he did'nt have was the one for my patrol hence the question .

MudRunnerTD
18th October 2015, 10:48 PM
nissannewby is a Diesel Mechanic and Fitter and Vendor is an AutoElec mate and I'm just some dude with a couple of TD42s.

Newby and Vendor will provided you way way more than the Haynes manual your referencing. If you want the actual answer they will help, if your happy to just bridge out the problem then go for it. Happy days.

the evil twin
18th October 2015, 11:06 PM
MR, methinks there has been a breakdown in communication...
The OP isn't bridging out the problem and is asking for some genuine assistance.

The bridge will cause the ECU to present the code via flashes of the MIL so he can 'read' the codes that have set the MIL.
He doesn't have the correct diagnostic plug for his mates reader.

Another example is that the sub tank fault codes can be read in a somewhat similar manner involving the switch and decoding the sub-tank light 'flashes'

Yendor
19th October 2015, 12:39 AM
Yendor I'm all registered and my intro is up and running . The Mil light came on I turned around and put it in the garage. I have a haynes manual where I read about bridging the terminals. I am an apprentice trained mechanic admittedly out of the game for a long time . My mate how also is a mechanic with 30 yrs experience in all aspects of the trade . Currently working for Westrac as a fully qualified heavy duty fitter. He does own a Snap On diaognastic computor but the only conector he did'nt have was the one for my patrol hence the question .

It taken this long for you to actually confirm that you have a problem and weren't just checking if there were any fault codes. It wasn't that hard to answer the question was it?

Normally when there's a problem with this circuit the engine will idle rough and knock. Seeing as you didn't answer my question regarding engine performance I can only assume that yours is still running fine. It is possible that the code you pulled out was a history code and not the cause of the MIL coming on. It is also possible that you have an intermittent fault with this circuit.

The MIL can also come on if there is water in the fuel. May pay you to drain the fuel filter and check for signs of water. Then clear the codes and see if the MIL comes back on.

I don't care about intros and your vehicle is not OBD11 compliant.

Llewd
19th October 2015, 03:52 PM
Yes the MIL is on . I've replaced the fuel filter ant given the float an good blow from my compressor but no change . The warning light returns after a couple of mins. Apparently the fault code is meant to be read as P0201

Llewd
19th October 2015, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry I think we crossed wires here. The beast is running as normal and was running normally when the MIL came on. As I said we bridged the terminals at the plug to make the MIL flash giving us a code which apparently should be read as P0201 . I have already replaced the fuel filter and given the float assembly a good blow out with my compressor. Took it for a run and the light returned. I've just flashed the terminals again to make doubly sure and the flashes again 2-1 Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Yendor
19th October 2015, 04:17 PM
Yes it's DTC 0201, as per the attachment in my first post. You were getting 21 because you were flashing out the codes. There the same thing.

Did you clear the code before the test run?

Llewd
19th October 2015, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry I think we crossed wires here. The beast is running as normal and was running normally when the MIL came on. As I said we bridged the terminals at the plug to make the MIL flash giving us a code which apparently should be read as P0201 . I have already replaced the fuel filter and given the float assembly a good blow out with my compressor. Took it for a run and the light returned. I've just flashed the terminals again to make doubly sure and the flashes again 2-1 Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Llewd
19th October 2015, 04:24 PM
No I didn't. I've just cleared the codes started it up to take it for a run and while it was idling the light came on again. I've just rechecked the flashes and it's still the same code

Llewd
19th October 2015, 07:58 PM
Yendor thanks for your help. I broke the electrical connections they were clean so reconnected them. I restarted and left running for 5mins and no light. So I took it for a run and still no light so I hope all it needed was for the electrics to be broke and remade. So thanks for your help I'm very grateful .