PDA

View Full Version : Intro

HornsbyGU
15th October 2015, 11:32 AM
Hi all,

I've joined the forum and it's been great learning from everyone.

I've had a 1999 GU 2.8L Patrol for about the last 5 years. Have spent a heap fixing mechanical probs over the first 3 years and fingers crossed I'm through the worst of it all. Some of the mechanicals have included new clutch, fixed 3rd gear (which popped out when coasting to lights), new radiator, new water pump, front bearings (twice!), cleaned the injectors (one was replaced). That's most of it, which was all gradual so didn't have to do it all in one hit. Thought it would break the bank.

Here's a photo from our inland southern QLD road trip last Christmas (note to self - don't head into inland QLD again over summer - too bloody hot!)

Anyway, the fun stuff I've done to the vehicle include:

- rola roof racks for kayak, tent etc
- replaced the standard 2-DIN audio system (thanks Youtube for showing me how to do that!)
- new Lightforce drivers lights, after having ongoing electrical faults with the original lights. Eventually chucked a tanty and decided to replace the whole lot (lights/electrical). Haven't looked back. Brilliant.
- new "Dick Cepek" alloys and Grabber AT tyres. Can't fault them so far with mostly road and gravel tracks. Occasional mud.

I have a few projects on the list. I already have a redarc dual battery system and a stuffed 2nd battery. I'd like to replace it with some kind of dual purpose battery that can be a back up cranking battery, plus use it for LED lights/ recharging phones etc while camping. I had starting issues with the car for a while, eventually fixed it seems with a new battery from NRMA. I reckon having a backup cranking battery would give me a better feeling heading out bush. Can't believe that Nissan designed the car with headlights that don't turn off by themselves.

Love getting the car dirty and mostly head out bush hunting in the state forests - hard to beat free range venison :-)

It's my first 4WD and after discovering low range 4WD, I don't think I'd buy a car without it again.

Anyway, happy travels everyone and I'm looking forward to learning from and participating on the forum.

Cheers

Paul

4bye4
15th October 2015, 11:44 AM
G'day Paul and welcome to the forum.

threedogs
15th October 2015, 12:02 PM
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum,
jump in anytime and enjoy
Get a 750 CCA start battery and leave it for just that starting
and winch if you have one fitted , then fit an AUX battery of at least 100AH
that will run your fridge and enough LEDs to light the "Queen Mary"
Redarc do a good dual battery isolator kit

AB
15th October 2015, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

JoeG
15th October 2015, 01:03 PM
Hi Paul
looks like you have your Patrol well sorted and having fun
Great site and lots of help on the forum
Regards
Joe

Dhuck
15th October 2015, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

HornsbyGU
16th October 2015, 11:57 AM