PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! GU just lost all power and stopped dead !!!

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 11:24 AM
Had this GU for a week. Went down the road for coffee, and when I started it, the engine light came on for the first time (the little yellow Engine Symbol)

Anyway, got to within 100mtrs of home, and as I went around the corner, all power was lost, the engine shut down, and lost all steering and power.

Tried to start it again, and the engine light won't go out, and it just turns over as if its been flooded . . .

Anyone got any idea what so ever ??

I tried turning it over about 5 times, but you can hear the drain on the battery :(

I'll take anything at the moment

Cheers

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 11:25 AM
How do I reset the computer ?? will disconnecting the battery and all power trip it ??

Clunk
10th October 2015, 11:35 AM
How do I reset the computer ?? will disconnecting the battery and all power trip it ??

no idea on how these 4 potters work...... but yes, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so

threedogs
10th October 2015, 11:37 AM
Yeah disconnect the battery for a while, check some of the earth straps as well

threedogs
10th October 2015, 11:41 AM
swap your air con relay with your ECM relay under the dash
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1428-GU-3ltr-owners-ECM-relay-issues&highlight=relay
read this as well

4bye4
10th October 2015, 11:43 AM
Hi mate = you have just installed the boost gauge from memory. Might be worth checking that you have it connected in the right place and/or haven't knocked a pipe or wire while you were doing it.

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 12:05 PM
swap your air con relay with your ECM relay under the dash
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1428-GU-3ltr-owners-ECM-relay-issues&highlight=relay
read this as well

Good read that other thread. Thanks. Pity the closest dealer is 100kmls away, or I would buy one this morning.

Hi mate = you have just installed the boost gauge from memory. Might be worth checking that you have it connected in the right place and/or haven't knocked a pipe or wire while you were doing it.

Have done mate. I did tap into the main Earth point in the foot well yesterday, for my UHF and Boost gauge, and checked everything is right there and all is good.
Going to hook the battery up again soon, and maybe swap out the relays, like TD mentioned above.

don't usually freak out like this, but for a 2 week old GU in my hands, I just had $$$ signs running through my head. So happy this forum is here, as I reckon I would be getting ripped off, by locals, because they have a monopoly on their respective trades :(

I'll let you know how it all goes.

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 12:30 PM
Checked Earth and seems ok.

I tried starting it and a couple of times, it started then the revs went sky high, and then it died again ??

On that diagram which is the ECM relay ?? In that other thread, they say Brown, from the OP, and then others say theirs is blue ??

I have the brown top most relay, and the other three in the diagram ?? there is nothing on the Fuse panel saying which is which ??

threedogs
10th October 2015, 12:49 PM
some apparently are brown just swap with air con
as suggested. only do one thing at a time as well
reading the link it says top right is the offending relay

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 01:29 PM
Ok no go it still just turns over and that's it.
Any other ideas ??

Tapping it out . . .

Hodge
10th October 2015, 01:47 PM
Does your model have the NATS ? I'm just thinking out loud here, but when NATS stuffs up sometimes it locks the injection pump out on the 4.2TDi's. Now I don't know if the same NATS principle is applied to the 3L Di's, but maybe, just maybe... What is the little red light on top of your dash doing ?

Edit:

The other thing could be air in fuel system ?

The injection pump especially VP44 without supply lift pump has real difficulty to supply and also prime injection lines at engine cranking speed especially when there is an airlock.

threedogs
10th October 2015, 02:12 PM
You may need to re-trace your steps,
OOI is your plunger firm?

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 02:18 PM
OOI is your plunger firm?

You need to speak to me as if I know nothing. Sorry mate but plunger ?? OOI ???

Between NATS, NADS, MAF, OOI these acronyms all have new meanings to me :(

Tapping it out . . .

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 02:37 PM
Well, I just had local Toyota bloke up here with his Computer, and initially, it came up with 4 error codes. He then cleared them, and came up with a resulting 2. The main one he said will need looking at is the Crank Position Sensor.

After clearing them, I tried to start, and again, it turned over, and the revs went high again, and down to nothing. . . . He said, that a faulty Crank Position Sensor, could be the cause of this stopping the way it did.

Is this consistent, with what people know here?? Could this be the cause ??

I'll be dropping it in Monday, for them to run a full system wide diagnostics, and see what happens.

4bye4
10th October 2015, 02:48 PM
You need to speak to me as if I know nothing. Sorry mate but plunger ?? OOI ???

Between NATS, NADS, MAF, OOI these acronyms all have new meanings to me :(

Tapping it out . . .

OOI TD means out of interest. Plunger he is talking about is the manual prime pump BUT since you have posted about the error codes and the Crank Position Sensor, what TD said may be irrelevant.

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 02:51 PM
Well that was a Homer moment. I was so focused on Nissan Acronyms.
Thanks for clearing it up 4b4

You reckon it could be the crank sensor being the issue?

Tapping it out . . .

ImRobboToo
10th October 2015, 02:55 PM
null an void

the evil twin
10th October 2015, 03:04 PM
Yes, it certainly can by the Crank Pos sensor... amongst a heap of other things.
If the ECU thinks it is dodgy and throwing that code then you will need to sort that out anyway.

Keep in mind that if something is working, no matter how complicated the system, it is unusual to get multiple failures all at once.
I would try a new Crank Sensor and go from there

threedogs
10th October 2015, 03:21 PM
When my Crank position sensor was faulty it only went into limp mode.
Not a job Id like to do again

ImRobboToo
14th October 2015, 10:41 AM
Well, all said and done, I got the GU on a real computer, and we had a few error codes, clearing them all, including the Cam Level Sensor.
After the test drive, 1 kept coming up and that was the Fuel Pump communication line error . . . The thing runs better that ever at the moment, but wondering if anyone has had a Fuel pump and the injectors done ?? What sort of price will it be ??

The closest appt I can get with a Nissan Dealer is 1 week of Nov, so I'm tossing up to get this done now, or later . . .

ImRobboToo
14th October 2015, 11:03 AM
I have been busy over the last week, not including the issue I have had, with error codes.

2" Ironman Lift with a ToughDog RTC Steering Dampener done ✓

Boost And EGT Gauge installed, with the Uniden UHF ✓

Today, I will tackle the Dual Battery, and carrier, will run the wires for the my Anderson Plug, as well as the Fridge and USB for the rear compartment.

Drawer's are on back order and will be sent end of next week. The Roof rack at the end of the month.

Exhaust will hopefully be here by end of the week, so I will have something to do over the weekend . . .

It is slowly coming along.

PS: will be looking at some Mickey T's or Coopers today 33" as well . . .

Watch this space ;)

threedogs
14th October 2015, 03:19 PM
Good stuff have a think about putting some power
outlets at the back of the centre console, including USB
I have done this and all are live off the AUX battery fused of course

Im also moving my on/off indicator light for my cruise control
to the right of the bottom gauge on the pillar pod