PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - several issues??

TheOtherMatt
9th October 2015, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys, had the Patrol for a few weeks now and never been really happy wit the brakes - pedal is quite soft and low - although it does hold pressure and the brakes are quite poor to average at best. When I bought it was told it had just had new rotors and pads - SWEET!

Also cleaning wheels today noticed front discs have reasonable scoring as would be expected from new pads and rotors - but rears have no wear at all, - can still clearly see cross hatching on rotor face - I have done a few thousand klm - I would have thought my brake troubles are possibly rears not engaging???

I have the feeling the bleed may not have been done correctly at first so I will flush and bleed full system again to eliminate that as a contributing factor - but my question is more in relation to the load valve for the rears? the GU has a two inch lift kit (Terrain Tamer) and 33 inch tyres - I did read a couple of really old threads about some lifts requiring a new bracket to get the valve working correctly with the lift kits - I assume 2 inch would not need this - am I wrong???

any thoughts would be great
Matt

BillsGU
9th October 2015, 03:00 PM
LPV should not need a bracket for a 2" lift. I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the LPV. Seems that a lot of mechanics don't know it is there and do not bleed it. Over time it accumulates moisture which eventually wrecks it. When the LPV was bled properly the brakes improved but replacing the LPV fixed the problem.

warthog1
9th October 2015, 03:17 PM
The load proportioning valve is designed to increase rearward bias on the basis of more load in the rear of the car. Lifting the suspension without extending the bracket will have reduced rear braking bias as evidenced by the machining marks still evident on the rear discs. It won't hurt to bleed the brakes again, pretty sure there is a bleed valve on the LPV itself too, having recently extended my brake lines. I would also extend the bracket it's easy enough to bodge one up yourself. I just used a pice of gal angle I had lying around.

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Bracket-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol-2-3.html

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/102.jpg