PDA

View Full Version : New User here - looking to purchase Patrol Waggon for long trips with small van.

TravvelingEMU
9th October 2015, 11:07 AM
My sister has 3 patrol Wagons in her farm fleet and they seem to be the most comfortable 4x4 I have ever used. they are all pre. 2000 and seem to have better clearance and be indestructible.

I want dual air bags and ABS [nice to have Leather interior] for that era it seems from my research that I am only able to get the big petrol engine Ti. [ I have looked at gas options - but I would like to carry plenty of primary fuel instead of giving up space to gas tanks ]

As far as my reading goes it seems that I may have to jump to 2004 at least to get what I seek - but I cannot find the fuel consumption comparison of the 3 liter diesel and the 4.2 liter for that era.

The reviews I have read seem to say that is the basic choice of engines that I may find.

Question 1. Can anyone please correct me if I am not on the right track. ie. will there be dual air bags and ABS [with Leather interior] plus a diesel engine that is not the untrustworthy early 3.0 liter diesel turbo. ?

Question 2. and If I am right about there being such machines what is the fuel consumption comparison of the 3 liter diesel and the 4.2 liter six please ??

Kindest Regards

threedogs
9th October 2015, 01:23 PM
A 4.5 and a 4.8 will be thirsty on petrol driven in a frugal manner Id think 16-18lt/100 k is possible on the hwy
My 3 ltr is about 12-13 around town and 15/100 towing my modest camper.
a 4.2 diesel would return about 14lt/100k a 4.2TD less again.
things cost so much more if ABS equipped, My 5/04 only has driver air bag
$20k will see you in a 4.2TD with a few mods

the evil twin
9th October 2015, 01:43 PM
I haven't ever had a stock Diesel so my figures may or may not help but I found the following
ZD30 fuel averaged 12.5 LPH
TD42 fuel averaged 14.5 LPH
The ZD30 really notices a towed load and when towing I found that both engines returned similar LPH that is around 15 to 16 LPH
The ZD30 fuel economy seems to vary wildly between individual vehicles so if you get a bad one it can be the almost 20 LPH towing.

I don't know when pax side airbags became standard possibly as late as after 2007 but I think the Ti (with Leather etc) had them from early 2000's

A Ti with a TD42 will be quite a rare find on the market and expect to pay absolutely top dollar if there is ever one.
I can't even say 100% they exist so maybe someone else knows for sure

If you drop back from the Ti to an ST with leather you will have a hassle finding the dual airbags

TravvelingEMU
9th October 2015, 01:59 PM
A 4.5 and a 4.8 will be thirsty on petrol driven in a frugal manner Id think 16-18lt/100 k is possible on the hwy
My 3 ltr is about 12-13 around town and 15/100 towing my modest camper.
a 4.2 diesel would return about 14lt/100k a 4.2TD less again.
things cost so much more if ABS equipped, My 5/04 only has driver air bag
$20k will see you in a 4.2TD with a few mods

appreciate your information

EMU

TravvelingEMU
9th October 2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks - Love the Dolphin Quote

appreciate your information

EMU

threedogs
9th October 2015, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=the evil twin;635769]I haven't ever had a stock Diesel so my figures may or may not help but I found the following
ZD30 fuel averaged 12.5 LPH
TD42 fuel averaged 14.5 LPH
The ZD30 really notices a towed load and when towing I found that both engines returned similar LPH that is around 15 to 16 LPH
The ZD30 fuel economy seems to vary wildly between individual vehicles so if you get a bad one it can be the almost 20 LPH towing.

I don't know when pax side airbags became standard possibly as late as after 2007 but I think the Ti (with Leather etc) had them from early 2000's

A Ti with a TD42 will be quite a rare find on the market and expect to pay absolutely top dollar if there is ever one.
I can't even say 100% they exist so maybe someone else knows for sure

If you drop back from the Ti to an ST with leather you will have a hassle finding the dual airbags[/QUOTE

Ti's were only available in petrol from what I thought.?
Thats in GU guise, happy to be wrong,,, maybe early ones were diesel
That would be a ST-L

the evil twin
9th October 2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I reckon your right TD... wonder if the early ST-L had dual 'bags?