PDA

View Full Version : humming noise from turbo

lars04
9th October 2015, 09:41 AM
Hey i got some funny humming type noise coming from turbo area
Only when accelerating seems like it happens when boost is winding up any help would be great thank you

mudski
9th October 2015, 10:36 AM
Has it always been there? Have you done anything to the motor at all prior to this happening? First thing I'd check is the impeller for any free play. Take the intake hose off the turbo and get your fingers in there and have a feel for the impeller for any movement. A humming noise could mean the bearing is shot on the impeller shaft. I have heard of this tbh on these turbo's, not saying that it doesn't happened though...
If you just sit there and rev the motor, can you hear it too? If so, get under the hood and get a mate or someone to rev the motor while you look closer. As it could be something totally unrelated.

lars04
9th October 2015, 10:50 AM
Yea it happenes when i sit there and rev it. Took it to a mechanic and he too the hose of to the actuator and it stoped so dunno what that would mean. I havnt done anything to the patrol its stock as a rock doesnt even have a snorkel

lars04
9th October 2015, 10:53 AM
Now that i think of it you can hear the turbo start to spin faster and faster if you get what im saying

mudski
9th October 2015, 11:08 AM
Does it drive normally? It could be the diaphragm in the actuator vibrating. Might have come lose in the diaphragm housing??? Id try a second hand actuator first...

lars04
9th October 2015, 11:23 AM
I think there may be some flat spots there, this is the first patrol i have owned so i dont really know how they should feel. Can these garrett turbos be rebuilt?