PDA

View Full Version : 2.8L TD Overheating

Yuggera Thompson
9th October 2015, 07:00 AM
Hello to all i have a question my patrol 2.8l td has been overheating i have found that the inter-cooler fan is not turning on to cool the air flow so i think this is the reason for the motor to over heat i get 10 mins drive time and she is up to the h mark i have taken out the radiator and manual fan replaced it with a bigger core radiator and twin electric fan and shroud i also replaced the water-pump and still no change still overheating yet if i pull the plug from the inter-cooler fan it runs constant.any idea what i can do?

Bloodyaussie
9th October 2015, 07:37 AM
The intercooler fan would have nothing to do with your car running hot...

threedogs
9th October 2015, 07:49 AM
it may be a fault in your wiring if you have replaced everything and its still over heating.
Try a thermo gun on the top tank and see if that relates to the same temp on your gauge

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neu-Non-Contact-Laser-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-Gun-Pyrometer-GM320-/111568577058?hash=item19fa016222

You may have air in the system, park on a hill nose up and fit a coke bottle with the base cut off into
your radiator, squeeze the top hose to force the water around, pushing out any air bubbles

Yuggera Thompson
9th October 2015, 11:48 AM
ok will try that thanks

abeeke
9th October 2015, 03:49 PM
How are the thermostats? you can pull them out and boil them on the stove and check what temp they are opening with a thermometer.

Also, when you bleed or refill coolant, you should do it with the heater on "hot" to ensure you get all air out of the heater core.

agree with comments that intercooler fan has nothing to do with it, and also to try re-bleeding it.

threedogs
9th October 2015, 03:57 PM
Could be a bad earth too Mud Nut may be your go to guy

Yuggera Thompson
9th October 2015, 07:17 PM
well guys i have spoken to my local diesel workshop today everything i told him about the problem maybe that i have a blockage in the cooling system and he will need to take a look to find out. the thermostat is new as well there is some tips that you guys have told me that i have not tried as yet i never new to run the heater when filling a radiator up bad earthing is always a problem too so going to try these tips out over the weekend. thanks all i will let ya no how it went.