PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal

BigRAWesty
7th October 2015, 06:42 PM
Ok so 3rd gear is shot in my box.
Searching currently for a second hand one..
Going to do clutch and rear main seal while it's out.
Is the rubber seal easy to change out or is it best to buy the whole alloy peice and gasket?

Plichta
7th October 2015, 08:14 PM
I had no trouble changing mine without doing the whole alloy bit. However, I've heard that later model GU TD42's you have to replace the whole alloy part. Should be right though.

jff45
7th October 2015, 08:29 PM
I didn't see just the seal available when I did my TD42T before installing it. I changed the whole thing. Original was a steel housing, new part was alloy.
I was ordering a heap of parts anyway from Dubai so I got the seals too.

mudski
7th October 2015, 08:57 PM
The early td's dont use the cast ally housing as part of the seal like the later td's. I think it from about 1997 is the change. I have it written down somewhere...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
7th October 2015, 09:36 PM
Ow wicked. So all I should need is the rubber seal being a 91..
I think that may be a "buy when sure" item..

But the info is good..
Jff45 is it an easy change??

jff45
8th October 2015, 06:36 AM
Ow wicked. So all I should need is the rubber seal being a 91..
I think that may be a "buy when sure" item..

But the info is good..
Jff45 is it an easy change??

Mate, mine was on the engine stand getting prepp'ed to replace the TB45 so yes, it was an easy job.

With those bigger diameter seals, it's a good idea to fill them with grease to stop the tensioning spring from jumping out when you tap it in..
If it has the housing with it, it doesn't need to be tapped in. You can gently slide it over the crank journal and bolt it in place.

BigRAWesty
8th October 2015, 06:53 AM
Mate, mine was on the engine stand getting prepp'ed to replace the TB45 so yes, it was an easy job.

With those bigger diameter seals, it's a good idea to fill them with grease to stop the tensioning spring from jumping out when you tap it in..
If it has the housing with it, it doesn't need to be tapped in. You can gently slide it over the crank journal and bolt it in place.
Awesome mate. thanks for the info.