PDA

View Full Version : Copper washer on sump plug?

growler2058
4th October 2015, 10:45 AM
What do I do if I cant get the copper washer for the sump plug on zd30 crd? Can I put thread tape on, just up top so it doesn't contaminate the sump? The manual says remove taking note of which way it went on. The one I got is farked and looks same both sides

growler2058
4th October 2015, 10:48 AM
This is what I got
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/38.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

threedogs
4th October 2015, 10:49 AM
Softly panel beat it and I mean softly

growler2058
4th October 2015, 10:54 AM
Softly panel beat it and I mean softly

I think its a bit too far gone. Its elongated quite badly

nissannewby
4th October 2015, 11:03 AM
Flatten it back out and aneal it.

Dont have any other fibre/copper washers floating around your shed? Thread tape might work temporarily.

the evil twin
4th October 2015, 11:06 AM
AFAIK the CRD sump plug washers are single use crush type application.
I'd be amazed if any Nissan Dealer didn't have hundreds of the buggers

They should be replaced every time you pull the Drain Plug but I didn't bother at the 5K interval
I haven't got my service records anymore but IIRC they are about $2 (could be wrong tho)

The manual is correct as they are supposed to go on in one orientation not the other...

Maxhead
4th October 2015, 11:33 AM
I thought they come included when you buy an oil filter if you buy it of Nissan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the evil twin
4th October 2015, 11:44 AM

... you are probably right, Cobber.

I seem to recollect that they (filter and sump washer) were two seperate items on the 'scheduled service' invoices but the basic Invoices would be generic anyway.
I used to carry one thrown in with my 'touring spares bits and pieces'

threedogs
4th October 2015, 11:58 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Sump-Plug-Washers-3X-Copper-Crush-Washers-GU-GQ-Maxima-D22-D40-/191686267852?hash=item2ca16453cc

Here you go.
Gas tape might work better as its thicker but only temporary fix

Is this the right thread and pitch???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnetic-Oil-Sump-Drain-Plug-Patrol-1987-12MM-PLUG-M12x1-25-BLUE-/271796292613?hash=item3f48524c05

Hodge
4th October 2015, 12:12 PM

Yes. When I bought my filters from Nissan recently, he threw a copper washer in.
I asked in my build thread what side it goes on .....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61777&stc=1

threedogs
4th October 2015, 12:14 PM
OOI why couldnt you use say a fibre washer or alloy
for that matter they were designed for the same use

growler2058
4th October 2015, 12:20 PM
AFAIK the CRD sump plug washers are single use crush type application.
I'd be amazed if any Nissan Dealer didn't have hundreds of the buggers

They should be replaced every time you pull the Drain Plug but I didn't bother at the 5K interval
I haven't got my service records anymore but IIRC they are about $2 (could be wrong tho)

The manual is correct as they are supposed to go on in one orientation not the other...

Long weekend here, but sprint auto parts were open YAY. Got a squash washer from them,(last one) but there was no difference from one side to the other?

Cuppa
4th October 2015, 12:42 PM
I can’t see any reason why it would matter what way round a copper washer were fitted. An aluminium composite crush washer could be a different story though.

the evil twin
4th October 2015, 12:55 PM
I can’t see any reason why it would matter what way round a copper washer were fitted. An aluminium composite crush washer could be a different story though.

IIRC they aren't a 'flat' washer

mojo53
19th December 2015, 03:05 AM
Well bugger me, mine was stuffed last time i did an oil change so i used an old copper washer from my plumbing box of spares...no wonder it leaks!

garett
19th December 2015, 07:35 AM
tried some silicone ? just under the head of the bolt with the washer.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 09:37 AM
Here you go
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Sump-Plug-Washers-3X-Copper-Crush-Washers-D21-D22-Navara-GU-GQ-/201479751082?hash=item2ee92105aa:g:B7AAAOSwiCRUc7E 3

Cuppa
19th December 2015, 12:17 PM
tried some silicone ? just under the head of the bolt with the washer.

Nooooo....... not a good idea. Did that once on an oil in frame Triumph Bonneville. A tiny (& I mean tiny) bit of cured silicon went AWOL & was located insie the plunger type oil pump, having blocked the engine feed side of the pump, filled the oil tank & pressurised it. I was next to the bike when I removed the oil filler cap & let me tell you that a ‘fountain’ of pressurised hot oil down your pants is neither a pleasant experience nor a good look. Thankfully I had killed the motor as soon as the oil light came on & no damage was done to the motor.

OK OK I know Patrols don’t have anything quite as basic as a plunger oil pump, but the risk of an oil way being blocked by a dob of free floating silicone exists. If putting something under the head of the sump plug is needed, I’d be using grease & a fibre washer (or piece of a cornflakes packet) until able to replace with a proper or copper washer.

FWIW I’ve only ever used flat copper washers on my TD42 - 12mm ID.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 12:25 PM
AHH many a primary cover case gasket has been cut from the humble corn flake box
after lapping it on a sheet of glass, talking '66 Saint , they used to be police bikes here
along with 650 gold flash ,Those were the days eh Cuppa

the evil twin
19th December 2015, 07:07 PM
snip...

FWIW I’ve only ever used flat copper washers on my TD42 - 12mm ID.

Copper? Thats a bit flash... most TD42ers would grab a pen knife and whittle a washer up out of a bit of Gum Tree bark

mudski
19th December 2015, 07:23 PM
Copper? Thats a bit flash... most TD42ers would grab a pen knife and whittle a washer up out of a bit of Gum Tree bark
Ay ay! Be nice! I just grab one off the shelf.... lol.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

the evil twin
19th December 2015, 07:27 PM
Hehehehe...
Don't have to worry about little things like leaks with the Chev.
They burn the oil quicker than it can leak out.

Sprock
19th December 2015, 09:00 PM

Hahaha