PDA

View Full Version : Saggy rear towing camper trailer, remedies.

micknor51
4th October 2015, 01:14 AM
G'day folks,
We have just returned from trip through The Kimberley and Pilbara towing a Pioneer Argyle camper trailer. The rear of the Patrol was a bit saggy due to the extra weight of the camper.
Would the easiest/cheapest fix be Poly Air bags in the rear springs or more heavy duty springs and shock absorbers? The Patrol does not normally have a heavy load unless we are off to the outback.
If possible I would do the work myself.:D
Cheers
Michael

threedogs
4th October 2015, 06:30 AM
I would go the coils, other may go the air bags

my third 256
4th October 2015, 08:42 AM
i have Poly Air bags in the rear springs and can adjust hight for boat, trailer and caravan because of the different weights

the evil twin
4th October 2015, 11:00 AM
Don't go the airbags
The Towball weight of the Argyle should be 80 to 120 Kg (the Tare is only 800).
A Patrol shouldn't even notice that... so if you have got the "Dog with Worms dragging its butt" syndrome your suspension is shot.

I would just fix the suspension.
No point fitting airbags to a worn out suspension and with that load on a good suspension you won't ever use the airbags.

My prev camper was almost double the weight of your Argyle and the CRD Wagon I had at the time was chockers with draw system, fridge, Drop slide etc and that went gangbusters
I have airbags on my Ute which has a tray with max legal overhang and tow a 2 ton Van.
Apart from the 5 PSI I keep in there to keep them inflated they don't need to be adjusted until I have a very significant load

Bigcol
4th October 2015, 12:42 PM
I agree with ET

if its dragging its bum............

new springs and shockies

air bags are good, but wont fix an existing problem, only help keep a problem away on good suspension

Chimo
4th October 2015, 01:37 PM
I did shocks, springs and poly airs. Careful how heavy you go as the ride can turn to crap if you go too heavy.

FNQGU
4th October 2015, 01:57 PM
As mentioned - springs will be the problem and airbags won't help.

Your shocks may still be perfectly fine, but should be checked anyway after a good long trip like that.

I just changed out all my coils, and adjusted my shocks (again). Sag is gone, ride height is back, and rebound is much better. I have Koni 88 series shocks that adjust up to just shy of three full turns (from memory). I now have them at two turns of adjustment (up from one turn) and it has made a huge difference to rebound.

With a load in the back of my wagon that includes drawers, tools, fridge, aux battery etc. etc. I went with the 500kg constant rated King Springs and found that it suits nicely what I do. I also tow a boat that is heavier than your Pioneer would be, and now it sits really nicely. Like ET, I also have the airbags, but only have 5-6psi in them to prevent pinching.

blocko05
4th October 2015, 02:55 PM
I would go the new springs as well.

micknor51
4th October 2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I will go with the springs and check out the shocks.
Do you have any particular recommendations on springs and shocks?
Cheers
Michael

mudski
9th October 2015, 10:40 AM
Tower braces would be a smart idea too while your doing the springs.... Get under there with a light and check the existing towers for any cracks. Common issue with Patrols to crack when used under load...

threedogs
9th October 2015, 01:10 PM
X 2 on the tower brace kit. I read somewhere that fitting
those airbags gave a sort of counter lever affect putting pressure elsewhere
I have a small camper I tow and my suspension allows my Patrol to sit
slightly downhill on its own and level with the camper hooked up

GeeYou8
21st December 2015, 11:25 PM
What are your thoughts on airbags in standard springs for towing?
I have a boat on a single axle trailer around 1200kg & a tandem car trailer around 1500kg.
I just want to be able to keep the car level with different loads.
Thanks
Graham

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2015, 09:29 AM
What are your thoughts on airbags in standard springs for towing?
I have a boat on a single axle trailer around 1200kg & a tandem car trailer around 1500kg.
I just want to be able to keep the car level with different loads.
Thanks
Graham
Love em. It's what I have. Or had.
Now with the 2" ome lift the bags are useless.
Was going to pull them and sell them when I swapped the diffs.
Imo better than a load distribution hitch.

threedogs
22nd December 2015, 10:30 AM
I think if you can upgrade your rear springs to slightly heavier to compensate for your trailers weight
you'll be better off imo that fitting air bags. Just something else to go wrong, any
decent 4x4 shop should be able to tell you what coils you need on the back

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2015, 12:30 PM
450,000k on mine and not an issue yet.
And you keep your ride comfort when unloaded..

threedogs
22nd December 2015, 02:12 PM
Im not saying airbags are no good but when I first got my suspension done I told them of my camper,
weights etc and they tailored it to suit. I get a reasonable ride and good articulation.
I have never thought about fitting airbags to to my Patrol , I did have them in my ute years ago. lol

gaddy
22nd December 2015, 02:13 PM
Love em. It's what I have. Or had.
Now with the 2" ome lift the bags are useless.
Was going to pull them and sell them when I swapped the diffs.
Imo better than a load distribution hitch.
But a load distribution hitch removes load from the rear spring towers of the car transferring it to the front without extra pressure on the spring tower's , airbags do the same , but increase load on the tower's , a known weak point in a patrol ...at least thats my understanding.
The loads the op is talking about should not make a noticeable difference on a good spring set up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2015, 02:51 PM
But a load distribution hitch removes load from the rear spring towers of the car transferring it to the front without extra pressure on the spring tower's , airbags do the same , but increase load on the tower's , a known weak point in a patrol ...at least thats my understanding.
The loads the op is talking about should not make a noticeable difference on a good spring set up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Fair call. That makes sense.

janderson
22nd December 2015, 04:49 PM
G'day folks,
We have just returned from trip through The Kimberley and Pilbara towing a Pioneer Argyle camper trailer. The rear of the Patrol was a bit saggy due to the extra weight of the camper.
Would the easiest/cheapest fix be Poly Air bags in the rear springs or more heavy duty springs and shock absorbers? The Patrol does not normally have a heavy load unless we are off to the outback.
If possible I would do the work myself.:D
Cheers
Michael

had the same prob when I had my MQ towing Jayco Dove. I now use these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAG-180kg-400lb-Weight-Distribution-Hitch-Kit-Anti-Sway-Bars-Level-Riders-/331692420656

threedogs
22nd December 2015, 05:06 PM
To actually answer your question it would be cheaper IMO
to replace the rear coils with a slightly higher kg rating

Jim Kay
23rd December 2015, 08:11 AM
Tried both options and would definitely go for upgraded springs and matched shockers.

King springs have a fair range springs to suit most purposes and can advise the best matched shockers.
Their phone in customer service people are great.

Sounds like your current springs are soft anyway - should not be sagging under the load you described

happygu
23rd December 2015, 09:49 AM
To fix your problem, I would change the springs.
If you are changing springs, then you have another choice to make ... do you want to keep the standard height, or do you want a little more clearance for off-road duties.

There are a lot of options, but possibly less for standard height packages, but you should be able to get something which will have better load carrying capacity.

If you want more clearance and better load carrying capacity, then look at 2 inch lift packages, of which there are numerous choices ( but I like Kings Springs and Koni Shocks ), and for comfort, if that is what you are after, I would go progressive rate coils.

GeeYou8
2nd January 2016, 11:23 PM
Just back from 500km with car trailer on, back end dropped about 30mm with the car a little forward of centre, having read the thread on traction control problems with lifts, air bags for towing are looking good. Might wait until out of warranty.