PDA

View Full Version : Auto Vs Manual hubs

Cuzzy
2nd October 2015, 10:38 AM
Hello all. Newbie here. I've finally purchased a Patrol. No more land drovers.
I have a 2004 3.0 litre. Oil burner
This vehicle is being prepped for our 12-18 month family trip early next year.
So do I keep the auto hubs or go to manual. I've never had auto hubs so know nothing about them.
Any info will be appreciated

Rock Trol
2nd October 2015, 11:04 AM
Hi Cuzzy. The auto hubs work pretty well. Most people in my club just leave them in auto and they seem to grip.
The advantage though is that you can manually lock them in using your tyre lever so that they are constantly locked if you are doing lots of off road work. No need to unlock them on the bitumen as long as you get back into 2WD. The only time I can think it would be worth changing them to manual would be if you had a front auto locker and wanted the flexibility to unlock one side on side slopes or fast dirt tracks.

threedogs
2nd October 2015, 11:52 AM
Hi Cuzzy can you pop over the the intros first before asking questions
,no harm done but just something the forum asks of us all ,polite and all.
As for your hubs leave them till they start playing up ,
then convert them to manual hubs

the evil twin
2nd October 2015, 01:13 PM
Hello all. Newbie here. I've finally purchased a Patrol. No more land drovers.
I have a 2004 3.0 litre. Oil burner
This vehicle is being prepped for our 12-18 month family trip early next year.
So do I keep the auto hubs or go to manual. I've never had auto hubs so know nothing about them.
Any info will be appreciated

Depends a fair bit on what you will be doing on the trip and whether you have a front locker...
Nissan Auto hubs are equally as strong and stronger than some aftermarket manual ones

Advantage of Manual Hubs
You can use low range to park your van/boat
Handy at times if you have a front locker to get assymetric drive (one side only)

Advantage of Auto Hubs
Give you 4WD 'on the fly' for occasional use
(note that you should ALWAYS lock the Auto hubs if you are doing gnarly extended 4WD work and I used to carry a small T handle socket for that purpose in the drivers door pocket))

Disclaimer, the Nissan Auto Hub is easily converted to manual operation if you wish.