PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with P0705 code?

Beni C
28th September 2015, 08:11 PM
So the Trol has chucked up a code P0705 which is to do with the a Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

It happened while touring around a few hundred clicks from home over the long weekend so cleared it with the Scanguage and it seems to be intermittent so maybe thinking its a dickey sensor.

Curious if anyone has had any experience with this code? Is it something I can fix myself or is it going to be a gearbox out job?

TIA.

ova50
29th September 2015, 11:19 AM
Is your vehicle an auto??

threedogs
29th September 2015, 12:59 PM
Dont forget to disconnect your battery for a while too.
@ OVA I'd say its an Auto a Ben said tranmission

4bye4
29th September 2015, 01:04 PM
The P0705 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) refers to a switch either external or internal on the transmission whose function is to signal the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or the Transmission Control Module (TCM) as to the gear shift position -- P, R,N and D positions (park, reverse, neutral, and drive). The backup lights may also function through the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) if it is an external component. The code is telling you that the computer has recognized a failure in the TRS sensor. The sensor is either sending an erroneous or no signal at all to the computer identifying the gear position. The computer receives signals from the vehicle speed sensor as well as the TRS. When the vehicle is moving and there are contradictory signals being received by the computer, such as the TRS signal indicates that the vehicle is in park, however the speed sensor indicates that it is moving, the code P0705 is set. External TRS failure is common as age and mileage accumulates. It's exposed to the weather and elements, and as with any printed circuit tends to corrode over time. The upside to this is they are not an expensive repair and easy to replace with little automotive repair experience.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0705
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

threedogs
29th September 2015, 01:12 PM
Maybe its due for a service, I know mine is.
Or is it another earth problem

ova50
29th September 2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks TD,
Reason I asked as the info I have on the code seems to relate to a possible inhibitor switch problem.
Crook connection, adjustment or failure.
"4bye4" has answered it, anyway.
:cheers:

Beni C
29th September 2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks gents, it is an auto but not due for a service.

Looks like its back to the mechanic to sort it, only just got it back again after having the rear main seal leak fixed, again!!

Will check the fluid tomorrow and see if its a low at all.