PDA

View Full Version : New fuel filter wont start

p8ence
27th September 2015, 11:35 PM
CRD 3.0

Got a ryco fuel filter Z712 and swapped it over from what looked like a filter that had never been removed..

Anyhow, can't seem to get the fuel up, connected all the hoses, tightend and priming but i can not seem to feel the fuel flowing.. Took off the inlet hose and primed with my thumb on it and fuel comes up after a while, soon as i put it back on the filter and prime more nothing, just air..

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks
Dazz

4bye4
28th September 2015, 12:01 AM
The filter is not sealing for some reason??. Faulty filter or seal? Does it work with the old one on?

p8ence
28th September 2015, 12:36 AM
Ran out of time, will reconnect it tomorrow

Nightjar
28th September 2015, 09:50 AM
CRD 3.0

Got a ryco fuel filter Z712 and swapped it over from what looked like a filter that had never been removed..

Anyhow, can't seem to get the fuel up, connected all the hoses, tightend and priming but i can not seem to feel the fuel flowing.. Took off the inlet hose and primed with my thumb on it and fuel comes up after a while, soon as i put it back on the filter and prime more nothing, just air..

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks
Dazz

Bit confused when you say you removed the inlet hose and you were able to get fuel up?
You should be removing the outlet hose, it will take many pumps to fill the filter. If you fill new filter before refitting it makes the exercise a lot easier, a lot less pumps.

p8ence
28th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Bit confused when you say you removed the inlet hose and you were able to get fuel up?
You should be removing the outlet hose, it will take many pumps to fill the filter. If you fill new filter before refitting it makes the exercise a lot easier, a lot less pumps.

Should have been a bit clearer.. Removed the inlet placed my finger over the hose to block and pumped the bulb and the fuel comes up.. Put it back on and the fuel wont flow

threedogs
28th September 2015, 11:04 AM
Since you changed the filter you may have cracked the fuel lines
thats all I can think of at this stage, re check all fittings

Wizard52
28th September 2015, 12:31 PM
Did you fit inlet hose then remove outlet hose from filter only and then pump until fuel comes out?

Will take a while until filter fills up.

the evil twin
28th September 2015, 12:37 PM
Replied to your post on the Club forum, Cobber

Nightjar
28th September 2015, 07:56 PM
Should have been a bit clearer.. Removed the inlet placed my finger over the hose to block and pumped the bulb and the fuel comes up.. Put it back on and the fuel wont flow

No clearer, have no idea what you are doing?

p8ence
29th September 2015, 11:38 AM
Sorry Nightjar, thought it was explained as well as I could.

Finally I got the fuel pumped up but its still not starting.. I think I have air in there cause sometimes when pumping i can hear the air sucking through the fuel..

Will have to resort in a mech..

Cheers.

Hodge
29th September 2015, 12:24 PM
Maybe you got air past the filter and into the pump/injectors.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

p8ence
29th September 2015, 12:43 PM
If so how do you get it out?

Hodge
29th September 2015, 12:51 PM
If so how do you get it out?
I think you gotta crack the high pressure fuel lines at the injectors and bleed from there.
If so I'd leave it to experts as there is very high pressure at that point. Not what you want to play around with.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ova50
29th September 2015, 02:02 PM
Might be an odd thing to try, but have you tried removing the fuel tank cap? and then try priming it.

I followed what a mechanic advised me to do when changing the filter.
Remove the fuel tank cap first.
Leave both inlet and outlet pipes off the filter and prime the bellows first, using your thumb as you have done.
Once it is full, connect it to the inlet on the filter and then prime the filter, again also using your thumb.
Then connect the outlet hose to the filter, if it starts and idles then put the tank cap back on and take it for a drive.

Mine ran a little rough for a couple of Ks, and was then OK.

:cheers:

garett
29th September 2015, 06:37 PM
quite a few people have been injured by cracking the lines after the pump on a common rail. please don't. old school diesel no problems but not a common rail.

you could try a rag and air pressure in the filler neck to help it bleed ( don't over do it)

Rumcajs
29th September 2015, 08:24 PM
Don't ever crack CrD injection lines! Not only serious injury could result you'll need to replace them afterwards, not cheap either!

Regards

dads tractor
30th September 2015, 12:57 AM
Dont know sfa about the milk and juice (3 lt) but is there anyway that you have lost a O ring or are trying to seal O ring against O ring ,like in a recess top or bottom ? I can ask my lad as he has 1 but will be late tomorrow arvo for a reply .

Three Speed
2nd October 2015, 08:59 PM
Just changed mine today,an ordeal, to begin with couldnt get the lift pump to prime,30 minutes at least with no result except an incipent phht after much pumping,what did the desperate man do,look for the worlds smallest funnel and try to re prime the filter,as i was looking a cig handy sprayer came into view,if i could jam its pipe with rag into the filler,pressurize the tank,happy days,guess what,it worked and im so happy,so is the patrol,if anyone needs more detail on this let me know.