PDA

View Full Version : Carby throttle shaft play

dom14
26th September 2015, 09:48 PM
Hi Guys,

My vehicle is a Patrol RB30 carby model.
While cleaning and lubing the throttle body of the RB30 Nikki carby, I found out a fair bit looseness and play in the throttle shaft.
I can't remember a play this bad before, and I think it started showing after I lubricated the shaft with Singer machine oil.
I didn't remove the shaft or throttle valves at all. Simply squeezed some oil into the eges and turned it few times allow the oil to absorb into the shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GN5MZZ2lrI&feature=youtu.be

Is this bad news?
Is this throttle body absolutely fubar??!!
Is there any thing I can do to improve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

garett
26th September 2015, 10:33 PM
this is the problem with my carby atm. hence why the weber is on order :)
mine is leaking petrol out of the pivots. still runs. but leans out.
you might be able to get new bushings for it but i cant for mine.

dom14
27th September 2015, 12:05 AM
this is the problem with my carby atm. hence why the weber is on order :)
mine is leaking petrol out of the pivots. still runs. but leans out.
you might be able to get new bushings for it but i cant for mine.

Thanx mate. Where can I get some new bushings for mine?

It didn't have this noticeable play before. All started when I cleaned the throttle body properly and lubed the shaft this arvo.
I wish I didn't do that! :)

Can you recommend me a suitable Weber model for my RB30 & where to get it?!

Thanx

P.S. BTW, mine's not leaking petrol out of the pivots(AFAIK), but I need to confirm that's the case. May be it has been leaking petrol or having vacuum leaks through the shaft passage. May be this was the reason for my carby dramas lately.
Spare carby has no play like this, but I'm yet to clean it and lube it like this. I'm concerned the spare carby might show the looseness and play after I clean it and lube it as well. :1087:

garett
27th September 2015, 08:21 AM
i was told to not lube a carby.. the dirt sticks to the lube and binds up the carby ... . but hey i've never tried it nor experienced it, so who knows. (someone else might offer more info on that)
i did see weber's in autobarn but google is your friend. i think theres a guy in SEQ doing kits up for rb30's.

as for the bushings not a clue try google but i never found any for my carby

dom14
27th September 2015, 11:26 AM
i was told to not lube a carby.. the dirt sticks to the lube and binds up the carby ... . but hey i've never tried it nor experienced it, so who knows. (someone else might offer more info on that)
i did see weber's in autobarn but google is your friend. i think theres a guy in SEQ doing kits up for rb30's.

as for the bushings not a clue try google but i never found any for my carby

Ok, cool. I thought it might be a good idea to lube the throttle shaft to extend it's life and help it turn without any friction.
The reason I lubed it because it was making an occasional squeak when I turn the throttle.
I thought that was excess friction from getting too dry inside the shaft.
I only lubed the throttle shaft.

Yeah, Burson apparently stocks Webers. I'll go and have look what they have. They were around $300-600 from memory(few years back).
How much did you pay for yours?

garett
27th September 2015, 12:02 PM
its not what you know it's who you know. mine is 2nd hand and pretty much freeeeeeee

dom14
27th September 2015, 12:11 PM
Some guys advocate on using gear oil on the throttle shaft, but there's no universal agreement on that.
I think, if we start lubricating the throttle shaft, we may have to keep cleaning and relubing on once every few months basis to make sure the dirt won't build up
inside the throttle shaft.

dom14
27th September 2015, 12:12 PM
Damn! You're lucky. I know you, but I ain't getting a free carby. :D

dom14
27th September 2015, 12:23 PM
I think, I will put down the improvement of the throttle shaft play into my next project. I'll see whether I can shove an ultra thing rubber o ring or aluminium washer to stop the play & and possible vacuum leaks. Even if that remedy works, it means that I would have to regularly lubricate the area near the rubber O ring or the washer.
Since, I have two carbies to go for(none works properly though. :( ), it's worth a try.

dom14
27th September 2015, 05:13 PM
Finding the new bushings is almost impossible, unless I get them custom made from a machine shop.. I just cleaned the spare carby throttle body and lubed it. It has no throttle shaft play at all. So, now I can use spare carby throttle body for my stock carby. Only job left for me to fix now is get the auto choke fixed if possible or setup a manual pull cable for the choke.
I reckon it's pretty obvious the stuffed auto choke heater and the worn out throttle body shaft bore has been contributing a lot towards my carby dramas.
At least now I know the major problem of the carby, except there's no easy repair solution for both issues.

dom14
28th September 2015, 07:42 AM
This is the link to the auto choke repair thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?35187-RB30-Patrol-auto-choke-repair&p=633467#post633467