PDA

View Full Version : Dawes/needle valve

Burto
22nd September 2015, 02:59 PM
Hi there, purchased dawes/needle valve on ebay, fitted following instructions from 3bar racing, adjusted needle valve, and went for a run, high EGT and boost of 5-7PSI, wound dawes valve in to increase spring tension, boost increased slightly, but EGT still high, wound dawes all the way in no change.

Looks like a trip into town to buy some hose and back to Mr Nissan's plumbing, vehicle is GUIII 3.0 litre, was running with good boost and low EGT before fiddling with it.

Pretty sure that my plumbing is OK, maybe crap ebay purchase. any other suggestions ??, vehicle back on road after major rebuild with lots of hassles.

Thanks for reading
Burto

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 03:15 PM
You may find you need to stretch the spring a tad, there are two springs you can buy.
Mudski is your man but he's away for awhile. dont stretch it too far they are a pitb to unstretch
Need your boost about 15 max maybe a tad more depends on your ECU

Have a read on Chaz Yellowfoot [google] for all things dawes related and ZD30

Burto
22nd September 2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks, would have replied sooner but just ahd a small blackout, the valve was advertised as being sold with the stronger spring so that you would not need to stretch it,, used Chaz 's instructions for guidance, very good, hence my thought that the valve was faulty.

Thanks
Burto

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 04:53 PM
Measure it before you stretch it you may only need 3mm more spring.
Also on the odd occasion the ball will stick but thats very rare.
Keep us posted

Burto
22nd September 2015, 05:33 PM
Yep , measured the spring then stretched about 3mm, no difference, dismantled valve ball free and clean, out of ideas, will go back to standard setup, will return dawes and needle valve and they can put it where the sun don't shine.

Thanks again

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 05:39 PM
Hey Burto, before you take it out try pinching shut the pipe coming from the resonator and see if that helps or close the needle valve

Burto
22nd September 2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I had thought that I had the needle valve wound out to far and so was bleeding off too much vacuum, so closed the needle valve and went for another road test, but with no improvement,

BUrto

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 05:58 PM
something is wrong IMO if hooked up right with the needle valved closed I think you should be acheiving good boost.
Gee mine was hitting 30psi the other day after I repaired the nylon line to my boost gauge,
Still boosting high but I'll open the needle valve 1/4 a turn out and see what happens

Have you adjusted the needle valve so the turbo arm just starts to move before locking it off

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 06:01 PM
Hmmm yeah ok, that's a strange one, you obviously checked all the pluming is correct? maybe your right and you have a crappy DV its just there's nothing much to them really.

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 06:04 PM
Is the green non return valve facing the right way ??
Have you blocked all three outlets on the air solenoid
and return air

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 06:13 PM
Have a look at this if you have time or unless you already have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSkM5sG04i8

Burto
22nd September 2015, 06:16 PM
HI, am pretty sure that the damper valve is the right way around, ports A, B and C on the solenoid are open to atmosphere, the needle valve is connected to the top port on the resonator as in Chez notes. Wouldn't think that the three ports being open would cause this as the solenoid is now out of the picture, as the valve inside the solenoid can slide all it wants it will achieve nothing, or is this my stuff up ??

thanks
Burto

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 06:19 PM
HI, am pretty sure that the damper valve is the right way around, ports A, B and C on the solenoid are open to atmosphere, the needle valve is connected to the top port on the resonator as in Chez notes. Wouldn't think that the three ports being open would cause this as the solenoid is now out of the picture, as the valve inside the solenoid can slide all it wants it will achieve nothing, or is this my stuff up ??

thanks
Burto

Loop a small piece of vacume hose over the solenoid ports
the 3rd one cut a piece of hose and blank it off with a self tapper screw

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 06:23 PM
no block it off like three dogs said its still connected to the computer

Burto
22nd September 2015, 06:31 PM
Will try that tomorrow and let you all know if that was successful, a very big thank you to you both for taking the time to assist.

Burto

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 06:35 PM
No probs good luck mate

Dr Gary
22nd September 2015, 06:45 PM
no block it off like three dogs said its still connected to the computer
I have no problems with my dual Dawes setup BUT I did loop and block all the ports. 10 psi and 17 psi.

Burto
23rd September 2015, 05:33 PM
Hi all, well all is good now, blocked the ports on the boost control solenoid, as thought no effect, still 5psi boost max and high EGT, checked damper air passes through both ways so all good there, checked for vacuum at VNT actuator with engine at idle all good, took advice from video link, adjusted dawes 6 turns and locked, still have same problem, readjusted needle valve whilst observing actuator, no change.
Removed needle and dawes valve, and plumbed to original, 13psi boost in 2nd @2000, 15 psi boost in 4th @3000rpm, EGT 250, that will do me back to where it was 1 and 1/2 days ago

Will return for refund, thanks to all for your assistance.

Burto

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 06:01 PM
where did you put the bung to get your boost

Burto
23rd September 2015, 07:16 PM
Hi, where its always been in the outlet pipe from the IC to the throttle body, as I already had fitted the boost and EGT gauges, sometime ago

BUrto

peterbr1
24th September 2015, 07:26 PM
Just a thought but I think you may gotten the soft spring by mistake perhaps, you may need to wind it in further, just wondering if anyone nearby Burto with a dawes set up would have time to compare just a thought, I just get this feeling something simple is not right, does the EGR need to be blocked off?? Would have liked to see a pic of your setup

threedogs
25th September 2015, 07:55 AM
Just a thought but I think you may gotten the soft spring by mistake perhaps, you may need to wind it in further, just wondering if anyone nearby Burto with a dawes set up would have time to compare just a thought, I just get this feeling something simple is not right, does the EGR need to be blocked off?? Would have liked to see a pic of your setup

Im thinking along those lines myself. I needed help to set mine up

Wheres Wingham NSW ???

Dr Gary
25th September 2015, 05:05 PM
Im thinking along those lines myself. I needed help to set mine up

Wheres Wingham NSW ??? Near Taree about 300k north of Sydney

Dr Gary
26th September 2015, 02:15 PM
One final thought: you could unhook the two vacuum pipes from the Dawes and put a (temporary) joiner there. If you get boost, the valve is crook, if you get no boost, the plumbing is not right. Just don't load up too much in case boost really rises. See how you go.

threedogs
26th September 2015, 05:48 PM
I think it may have been wrong as I found out when doing mine it will work in a variety of ways.
Follow Chaz's pic with the needle valve in place.
Set boost to 14-15psi then set the spool up,
Still adjust my spool up rate but my boost line is
leaking till some parts come next week then I'll set and forget

Too bad there are no members around Taree to have a look