PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Squealing

ova50
21st September 2015, 01:10 PM
I have replaced the Belt tensioner, idler pulley & the pivot arm, the nylon bushes in the tensioner looked a bit suspect.
Prior to changing the Tensioner, the vehicle would develop a bad squealing sound when accelerating and mostly only when going uphill, under load.
It would start to happen at around the 1800-2000rpm. If I eased of the throttle it stopped.

Last evening I took it for a drive and the squealing is still there but now it only starts to happen from around the 3000rpm mark,
and again only when going up hill, and under load, and as usual, as soon as I back of the throttle it goes away.

I drove the vehicle uphill on a narrow winding road with rock ledges either side.
It appears that it is coming from the front passengers side of the vehicle.

Have posted it here: https://youtu.be/pQlCyxMwLHc (https://youtu.be/pQlCyxMwLHc)
Any suggestions at to what it may be.
:cheers:

(also found another problem which I will post later :mad: )

Winnie
21st September 2015, 01:20 PM
Have you checked for any boost leaks? Tighten all the air intake clamps and see how you go.

threedogs
21st September 2015, 01:28 PM
still , very common on CRD think either the
egr piping is split or the intake maniflod is warped.
check bolts for correct tightness

ova50
21st September 2015, 01:52 PM
Have checked all the hoses etc when I was doing the tensioner.
The boost showing on the Scan Gauge reads what it usually does.
It has not lost any power.
The Egr pipe was replaced around 2 years back and seems to be ok.
The manifold was removed and machined around the same time and does not appear to have any leaks.
You would swear blind the belt was slipping over something that is seizing on and off when under load.

threedogs
21st September 2015, 02:01 PM
is there anyone there to help you check where the noise is coming from
OK had a listen check the pulley on your alternator,
to me it sounds like a dry bearing
Mine seized and snapped the shaft

EDIT::: release the tension on the belt and spin the alternator pulley by hand

Hodge
21st September 2015, 03:07 PM
Just watched the video and that cannot be a boost leak or air. That screech is mechanical imo. Notice how it's either on or off it doesn't vary in volume or pitch.

ova50
21st September 2015, 03:23 PM
It doesn't do it when free revving. Only under a load at the revs I mentioned.

I was just talking to the old guy next door who previously owned a Navara. He tells me he had a similar problem that started with a ticking sound and eventuated into a squeal. He said the Navara had a weird clutch set up on the alternator that was causing the problem.

We had a look on the Patrol and when the engine is running everything seems ok, however when the engine is switched off the belt and the pulley stops spinning, but the internals of the alternator still spins for a couple of seconds. ?????????

ova50
21st September 2015, 03:25 PM
Just watched the video and that cannot be a boost leak or air. That screech is mechanical imo. Notice how it's either on or off it doesn't vary in volume or pitch.

The video was spliced together from 6 different ones the wife and I made last night. We can hear it start off faintly ( a bit hard to hear on the video, also had to edit it to cut out the wife swearing)and then it screams its head off.

The on and off sound was because I was accelerating up some very windy hills and had to back off for the tight corners. As soon as I come off the throttle it would stop until I accelerated again.

threedogs
21st September 2015, 03:30 PM
Thats what happened to mine just a slight ticking sound that went away with a few revs,
my mates and I all thought just water on the belt and not to worry, only a very small noise
you wouldnt think twice of it. Then on the way home my mate yelled that the temp was rising
{great co-driver imo] so I shut it off straight away lifted the bonnet and saw the end of the alternator had snapped off.
Thats where my money would be with out seeing it in the flesh, alternator pulley/clutch bearing

As I suggested earlier take the tension off the belt and spin the alternator pully by hand.
If only to eliminate it from the equation

the evil twin
21st September 2015, 04:07 PM
Check the sprag clutch on the alternator drive pully... if it isn't that it might be the A/C compressor bearing.

ova50
21st September 2015, 04:19 PM
Apart from spinning it as Threedogs has suggested, what should I be looking, hearing or feeling for ?
Should this be harder to spin in any direction?
Thanks

threedogs
21st September 2015, 04:52 PM
try like you would for a wheel bearing feel for any play,, should be none.
visually it may have iron filings or reddish colour showing, can you put a pic up?
so we can see.
Im 99% sure thats where the noise is coming from at this stage.

ova50
21st September 2015, 07:20 PM
Hopefully I will be able to inspect it tomorrow afternoon.
A quick look at the pulley (from what I can see), there doesn't appear to be any discolouring/ metal fillings or anything that looks suspicious.

It's awkward to get a photo of it, The induction hoses are in the way.
There is not much room to even get my hand to the pulley because of the top radiator shroud.
To remove the shroud it looks like the intercooler and its mounting brackets may have to be removed.

When I replaced the tensioner I done it all from underneath, (bit of a pain to get the new belt up to the alternator though)
It may be easier to remove the alternator.

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 05:30 PM
bumped for an update

ova50
22nd September 2015, 07:32 PM
Inspected the Alternator Pulley, removed the plastic cap and it shows no signs of any foreign matter around the pulley or on the alternator.

I spun the pulley by hand and again all seemed ok, no noises from the alternator.
Next I locked up the alternator and rotated the pulley counter clockwise by hand.
It has a little resistance (which I assume it should), There does not appear to be any tight or loose spots when doing this, the resistance is constant.
Next I tried to turn it clockwise and it would not turn (while still having the alternator locked).

Also gave the air cond pulley a spin by hand. There may be a very slight noise but I don't think it is serious.
I refitted everthing, started the engine and had look at all the pulleys, all appeared to be spinning in alignment and the tensioner was remaining stable.
Made up a stethoscope and listened at the alternator and air cond compressor. Again nothing that sounded out of the ordinary.
I then put it in gear, brakes on and accelerated, putting some load on. Again nothing.

Went for a short drive, and again up a slight hill the squeal happens with revs at approx. 2600 to 2800.
Will ad that the squeal was not as bad as the one I posted on youtube because I was using less throttle and lower revs.

I have posted another 2 sound vids on youtube.
I drove the vehicle around the same block on two occasions and at approx the same speed and revs with a slight hill.

The first is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmmpQmJJj4
I mounted the video camera under the bonnet between the top radiator shroud and next to the air cleaner. (please read the full description on Youtube)

The second is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJKbsJRUWI
I mounted the camera on the passengers side chassis near the spring. (please read the full description on Youtube)

peterbr1
22nd September 2015, 09:06 PM
Wow this has to be driving you nuking futs by now, I too have a very noticeable squeal but only when I first start it up, the squeal started around 3 months ago after going through a large puddle whilst bush bashing I've tried everything egr pipe new belt tensioner bearing etc. etc. yours sounds like something's cracked and vibrating or a bolts loose and rubbing somewhere have you sussed out the turbo heat shield,

ova50
22nd September 2015, 09:24 PM
Wow this has to be driving you nuking futs by now, I too have a very noticeable squeal but only when I first start it up, the squeal started around 3 months ago after going through a large puddle whilst bush bashing I've tried everything egr pipe new belt tensioner bearing etc. etc. yours sounds like something's cracked and vibrating or a bolts loose and rubbing somewhere have you sussed out the turbo heat shield,

You are right about it driving me nuts.
I have looked over and check quite a few things. It seems more predominant on the front passengers side.
The heat shield is secured ok.
It's got me stuffed.

4bye4
22nd September 2015, 10:34 PM
Long shot but have you tried putting a bit of soap or spraying belt grip on the belt and see if it changes. This is only a suggestion to try and locate the noise - not a fix.
Oh and someone give maasa2002@gmail.com a manual.

ova50
22nd September 2015, 10:46 PM
Long shot but have you tried putting a bit of soap or spraying belt grip on the belt and see if it changes. This is only a suggestion to try and locate the noise - not a fix.
Oh and someone give maasa2002@gmail.com a manual.

I also fitted a new Gates belt, I will try what you have suggested tomorrow.

I'm not giving the guy above a manual, I thought he had come up with a "fix" for me.
Man, was I disappointed with "great information" On What??

ova50
23rd September 2015, 01:44 PM
Followed what "4bye4" suggested giving the drive belt a smear of some soap.

Went for a drive this morning for about 2ks, and seemed to be ok until I was driving up a small hill on the way back home.
Thanks 4bye4.

Next was, attempting to isolate what the hell it is.
I had my wife rev the engine to 2500rpm and then switch the engine off while I filmed around the engine bay.
At one stage I locked the viscos fan and filmed again.

When watching the video I noticed that there seems to be some end float movement on the Alternator pulley upon engine shut down,
and a definite noise coming from the area.
I have posted the video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT1U10DmgxQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT1U10DmgxQ)
At approximately the 1min 3sec point, the video is in slow motion and shows the movement on the pulley.

I am guessing that this movement should not be happening and the belt is misaligning at particular revs and load ?
Is it possible that the soap may have masked the squeal until it had worn off ??

4bye4
23rd September 2015, 02:26 PM
Hi mate, I don't know what the answer to your problem is, but putting soap on a belt to "lubricate" it is an old truck drivers trick to find which belt is squealing, (back in the days before single serpentine belts). It is not a fix but just for locating the noise. Yes it is possible the soap masked the squeal until it wore off as it does not last long and is not a fix.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 02:34 PM
Do you still have the old belt to put back on ? Also is it a genuine Mr Nissan belt.
Bit of movement in that pulley I'll go and check mine.
Edit:::: Just checked my pulley and I couldnt get it to move no matter what I did

4bye4
23rd September 2015, 02:37 PM
Just watched the vid and I don't think the end play in the alternator pulley/clutch is correct. Do you know if the pulley get hot when running. That would indicate mis alignment. Alos is there any sign of wear on the edges of the belt. Can you remove the belt or alternator and feel for end play in the alternator shaft?

ova50
23rd September 2015, 03:12 PM
I just added a better slowmo to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuc3fAVxxX8
Seems quite a bit of movement on it.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 03:22 PM
As I said earlier mine has no play at all and its a reasonably new alternator 40K old.

ova50
23rd September 2015, 03:22 PM
Just tried to move the pulley by putting a screwdriver between the pulley and the alternator and get no movement at all.

It's not until the internals of the alternator stop turning that the pulley stops pulsating.

Threedogs: I still have the old belt but that was making more noise than the new one.

Perhaps the sides of the old belt has worn a little and may be moving more.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 03:24 PM
Is it a mr nissan belt , the new one I mean,
Mudski tells me some of the cheaper ones are no good

ova50
23rd September 2015, 03:29 PM
Is it a mr nissan belt , the new one I mean,
Mudski tells me some of the cheaper ones are no good

The new belt is a Gates brand. (not a cheapie). The one I replaced was Nissan

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 03:37 PM
wish Mudski was logged in he was a rep for gates I think

the evil twin
23rd September 2015, 04:49 PM
A few people have reported that the only fix to their belt squeal, after trying several, was a genuine belt... but that means it has to be the belt and not a drive pulley or ancillary bearing (Alt, A/C, Tensioner etc) squealing (obviously).

The Alternator has a Sprag Clutch in the pulley assy.
The reason for the sprag is that Mr Nissan is trying to damp out belt whip when the engine stops

If the sprag is faulty it will squeal louder than a Forum Veteran when a Newb posts 25 loads of shit to get a manual.
Then there are two choices...
A) replace with factory sprag clutch
B) replace the Sprag or 'Overrun' Pulley assy with solid drive pulley

Not sayin it is the sprag but don't rule it out

Hodge
23rd September 2015, 05:17 PM
Check the sprag clutch on the alternator drive pully... if it isn't that it might be the A/C compressor bearing.
X2 on this.
When I bought my crd Patrol it came with a repco belt from memory and after several mud dips it started screaming like Justin bieber.
Tried belt sprays and squeak stops and it stopped it until next time belt cooled down , only stopped fuly when I chucked a new nissan belt on.
This is when I also replaced a screaming belt tensioner and bearing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ova50
23rd September 2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys, appreciated.
Plan to do some more checking again tomorrow.

ova50
24th September 2015, 03:53 PM
The belt has now been eliminated as the problem. Have ordered a new pulley from Nissan.

the evil twin
24th September 2015, 04:06 PM
The belt has now been eliminated as the problem. Have ordered a new pulley from Nissan.

Which pulley, cobber?
Alternator
A/C
Tensioner

ova50
24th September 2015, 04:11 PM
Alternator Pulley. Have ordered a genuine one & cheaper.

threedogs
24th September 2015, 04:15 PM
Good to see its been sorted,
fancy Nissan being the cheapest price lol

ova50
24th September 2015, 04:22 PM
I was surprised, I asked the parts guy for a discount and he obliged.

the evil twin
24th September 2015, 04:23 PM
Good to see its been sorted,
fancy Nissan being the cheapest price lol

Yeah... usually the "terrible squealing" is when you get the Nissan quote

Just joking... the guys at my local Dealer really look after us Clubbies price wise.
I got up to 50% off some minor bits early this week and they airbagged them from Vic at no charge... BUT... they can only move so much themselves and some parts just defy logic on the pricing.

ova50
24th September 2015, 04:26 PM
Yeah... usually the "terrible squealing" is when you get the Nissan quote

Just joking... the guys at my local Dealer really look after us Clubbies price wise.
I got up to 50% off some minor bits early this week and they airbagged them from Vic at no charge... BUT... they can only move so much themselves and some parts just defy logic on the pricing.

Dayco from Repco I was quoted $170. Nissan was $150 but he discounted it to $129.
Thanks all for you help!

peterbr1
1st October 2015, 04:56 PM
Well I got rid of my loud squeal, it was my EGR pipe I took it off checked it against a straight edge and it was bent like a banana and the metal gasket was burnt all over so, the top is blocked and I made a new metal gasket, the square one at the bottom with a drill and a dremel, flattened the alloy egr pipe fitting with a grinder and now its oh so quiet.

Col.T
1st October 2015, 08:00 PM
G'day Ova old fella,
just a quicky question.
I've had/got a similar noise.Started as a bit of belt squeal but when I sprayed some belt treatment on it (mind you, it came out in a stream not a vapour) the very minor squeal for a while became a scream for a bloody long time. I suspect the 'spray' had some adverse effect on the bearings/bushes on one of the driven components. Maybe.
Now, I've only got a bit of a squeal when I engage drive in bottom gear and that stops after a few times. Please Lord, make it go totally away.
SO, the kweschun.
How does a new pulley fix it????? Not, say a bent shaft, not cactus bearings, just the pulley??? Why?????
Gotta say, 2 wheels and lots of go is good but add another 2 and the world goes fanny up.
Regards,
Col

threedogs
2nd October 2015, 09:01 AM
@ Col I had a minor squeak on arrival at camp, then by raising the revs slightly it went away.
You would never have thought twice about this squeak. We all came to the conclusion that
maybe some water had splashed onto the belt via some pot holes filled with water.
Long story short 100 kays later all the lights on the dash came on the temp soared to boiling.
Shut the thing down and lifted the bonnet, see pic,
As for Ova a new pulley will come with a new bearing yes??

ova50
2nd October 2015, 10:23 AM
"Col" The problem I had was locating what was causing it.
It wasn't until I was filming that I noticed the alternator clutch pulley (or Alternator De-coupler Pulley) moving in and out slightly.
I think that the belt would then be not running true.
I have ordered a pulley and still waiting for it, and are confident it will solve my issue.

Col.T
2nd October 2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks fellas,
that's got me answered. There's pulleys and pulleys and that one's a PULLEY.
Hope it's not my little squeak 'cause I'm off for a month pulling the van. Wouldn't that collapsing in the a**e end of nowhere be lovely?
Face the East and genuflect or something. Thanks again.
Over and out,
Col

ova50
20th October 2015, 04:11 PM
Just a update.
Finally got the new alternator pulley and has fixed the squealing.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 04:45 PM
Knew it,,,, at the first sound I'll be changing mine again
or if things are going good carry a spare.

Good to see you have it sorted.
did you just change the pulley or complete alternator?
do you have a link for the pulley?

ova50
20th October 2015, 05:23 PM
I only changed the pulley, had to get a 33 splined tool (about $8) to remove and install it.
My youngest son has a compressor and borrowed a rattle gun for the job.

I ended up using a Gates/Nuline brand pulley (part number OAP014)
The one the dealer got in was the wrong pulley.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 05:25 PM
Big job or easy once you have the right tools
Heres a link to the 33 spline tool

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALTERNATOR-CLUTCH-FREE-WHEEL-PULLEY-REMOVAL-TOOL-33-SPLINE-VW-AUDI-FORD-PEUGEOT-/221458218523?hash=item338ff03e1b:g:8Q4AAOSwuTxV9NE h