PDA

View Full Version : My TD42 is tapping like its a CRD

mudski
20th September 2015, 05:56 PM
Ok. So the coming weeks up to our big family trip have been one id rather forget for many reasons. Then having gastro for most of this week really gave me the sh!ts. Lol.
So here we are in Dubbo and the car has this really wierd tapping sound which changes speed with the revs to the motor and is quite audible.
It wasn't doing it when we left. I first noticed it in the next town after i filled up in Tocumwal.
I thought maybe bad fuel making the injectors noisy but then the car would go crap. Which it dont. I then though the tappets have come out of adjustment...
Dunno.
I need to get this seen to before we go to Moreton island which is this Thursday.
Does anyone know of a reputable workshop on the Gold Coast? Preferably the north end as we are staying at Hope Island.

Cheers.

Rossco
20th September 2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah bugger. Give jpc a call see what they reckon although it's kinda hard to diagnose stuff over the phone but atleast they know. Hopefully it's just tappet adjustment or something simple.

mudski
20th September 2015, 06:20 PM
Yeah i ring them tomorrow and tell them atleast. Wonder if ARB here in Dubbo can do it...

jay see
20th September 2015, 07:08 PM
Just a thought.

Has the oil been changed since the motor went in. If its all brand new bottom end. Maybe it could do with a change. Do you know what viscosity oil went in.

nissannewby
20th September 2015, 07:16 PM
Could come and see me.... lol

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2015, 07:19 PM

You tell him matt.....

mudski
20th September 2015, 07:32 PM
Mate if you dont mind id really love too. But you think its ok to drive? Assuming its the tappets... We are in Dubbo.
The sound is easily heard outside the car.

Just a thought.

Has the oil been changed since the motor went in. If its all brand new bottom end. Maybe it could do with a change. Do you know what viscosity oil went in.
No it hasnt since i have had it. If they did one before the car was handed over to me I'm not sure. I want to do an oil change while im in qld too.

nissannewby
20th September 2015, 07:35 PM
Can you send me a video of it if you still have my number.

Does it do it all the time? Any load,rpm, temp etc

mudski
20th September 2015, 07:41 PM
Can you send me a video of it if you still have my number.
Yeah ill see if i can. Never tried that tbh but I'll have a crack. Its dark so not too many will see me but hear me. Lol.

jay see
20th September 2015, 07:47 PM
I'll call JPC as soon as you can, just to give then a heads up. They might be able to advise. If a thinner oil has been used to catch any sh!t it should changed within the first 1500 km.
Again just a thought.

Hodge
20th September 2015, 07:48 PM
Hey Mark. Sorry to thread crap but the mechanic at ARB told me that mine sounds abnormal as well ,and it could be tappets... I was gonna get Mark (JPC) to listen to it when he tunes it, might go see him tomorrow actually.
I record mine just before.
Does it sound anything like this? Worse?
Make sure you have the video set to HD to clearly hear it. You can hear a rattle that is out of sync to your regular diesel "tappa tappa tappa tappa". And this rattle is amplified by x 4 in the morning when engine is cold and it mellows down once it warms up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Gx5XWvHvA&feature=youtu.be

mudski
20th September 2015, 07:52 PM
Thats what mine was like.

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2015, 08:21 PM
Sounds perfect to me..... lol

Hodge
21st September 2015, 12:36 PM
How did you go Mark ????

I was at jpc and spoke to his Mechanic. Definitely an issue with mine, doesn't sound healthy. He thinks it could be some pressure switch or something at the back of the pump ??? Told me how to test it out when cold.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

threedogs
21st September 2015, 12:46 PM
I'll call JPC as soon as you can, just to give then a heads up. They might be able to advise. If a thinner oil has been used to catch any sh!t it should changed within the first 1500 km.
Again just a thought.

X 2 on the oil change, I thought you'd put fresh oil in before you left.

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 05:47 PM
Just spoke to Mudski and he will probably fill you in but from he has said it looks like something to do with the injector pump..?

Hodge
21st September 2015, 06:27 PM
Just spoke to Mudski and he will probably fill you in but from he has said it looks like something to do with the injector pump..?

Will be interesting to hear. The moment the mechanic heard my one this morning at JPC, straight away he said it was the back of the injector pump, pressure thingamagig ...

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 06:30 PM
Either he doesnt know what he is talking about or he is pulling your leg. Unless he was referring to the timing control valve.

Hodge
21st September 2015, 06:33 PM
Either he doesnt know what he is talking about or he is pulling your leg. Unless he was referring to the timing control valve.

Yes, he did mention, timing "something" at the pump. What he told me to do is unplug one of the plus at the back of the pump when engine is cold and this "rattle" kind of noise should get much louder ??? Although I'm not too confident messing the the injector pump to be honest.
Might leave it until the car goes in for the tune, and maybe this new you beaut water pump, and get them to have a look at it ...

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 06:36 PM

Thats the one Matt... it was mentioned to him that the spring is brand new and now it has settled in a bit it needs more tension on it??? I have no idea..lol

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 06:36 PM
Please tell me they have experience with the pump style that is on yours...

Hodge
21st September 2015, 08:04 PM
Please tell me they have experience with the pump style that is on yours...

I hope so too... These guys do 4.2s all the time I believe, but whether they know my pump or not, I have no idea. I'm absolutely naive to all of this so just going by what people tell me. I'll take your word on that it's normal and as Tuppa mentioned his is more or less the same so, I won't stress about it.

You mentioned valves earlier. Mines just done over 90k and have no idea if they have ever been adjusted, it has receipts for every service since new, but each receipt does not specify in details what has been done so I don't know.

How big of a job is it ?

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 08:35 PM
Not very big. I usually just undo the 2 intercooler hose one at the turbo end and the one on the manifold then I pull the cooler with its frame so remove the 2 nuts on the firewall and 2 bolts at the front very easy to remove this way. Then remove rocker cover set valves and re assemble. If you havent done it before and want to have a go allow 2-3hrs. Once you have done it a few times you wkll get a lot quicker. They are easy to do as you do half of them then rotate the engine 360 degrees and set the rest.

mudski
21st September 2015, 09:39 PM
Just an update guys. I found a diesel pump mod here in Dubbo. After a while listening and looking, they came to the conclusion, please excuse my terminology here, the plunger in the fuel pump advance was hammering. It has a spring or springs behind it and when at high revs the plunger lifts and relives the springs to let the extra fuel through, but at idle the fuel pressure it too low and the plunger sits hard against these springs and is hammering against where it sits. Mat and Ben would prolly explain this better.
This conclusion came about when the guy put light pressure on the fuel pump lift plunger. As doing this does is like the motor at higher revs needing more fuel.
So. After a few calls to jpc, it was explained that to over come this hammering, the pump pressure needs to be raised. It can be done externally but cant be reversed. The ok was given to do this. Well i kinda wished it hadn't now.
Now, while the tapping was reduced, still there though, the car runs like a bag of poo. Bad bottom end power, heaps of smoke and the diesel rattle is now, not this tapping noise, is quite loud.
So the only way to fix all this is pump removal. Which will have to be done when i get home. Yay. So I will lose the car again for a week or two no doubt.

The amount of bad luck I've had in the last few weeks with so much going wrong i need this like a hole in the head.

So there ya have it. I've had a gut full and are quite over it right now.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
21st September 2015, 09:49 PM
Mark. As much as its a PITA enjoy your holiday mate.
As long as it doesn't cause any more damage/issues deal with it when you get back home, what's done is done.

mudski
21st September 2015, 10:08 PM
Atleast im over my gastro. Lol. Had it for three days and lost over 4kg. Now i can fart without having than warm feeling down there telling me something aint right.

jff45
22nd September 2015, 07:24 AM
Mark, do you have a lift pump fitted? I'm told they help reduce noise from rattling pumps.
I fitted that Carter 4600 you sold me.
Also added 2 stroke oil to my diesel as that also reduces pump noise..

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 08:37 AM
you cant afford to lose 4 kg lol
enjoy your break worry about the patrol when you get home

Hodge
22nd September 2015, 09:29 AM
Just turn the music up Mark and enjoy your holiday. Everything will iron out mate. Typical hiccups after a fresh engine builds imo.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

mudski
22nd September 2015, 10:43 PM
Well we completed the highway of hell. 13 hours on the road today. Three days in total and every day, something has happened. Today 100ks in the middle of butt f$&k the boost gauge has an epileptic fit and then the oil pressure gauge decided to die. Which made me panic because i thought the oil pressure was dropping but after i pulled over and had a look. Shrugged my shoulders and got back in the car and kept on going. we had no phone reception, the motor was still idling smooth, the water temps were a little high but this is because of the excessive fuel consumption, 75L got me around 500k. Not very good. Motor still sounded fine so motored on.
We headed over Mt.Tamborine just in time to stop and view the most amazing sunset, then we headed down and my brakes were smoking buy the time we got to the bottom. Im not used to those 13% long declines. Lol.
So tomorrow's a day of doing nothing. Maybe take my girls to the beach and ill just sleep on the sand.
I want to catch up with a few up here, John (jff45), mate we have decided not to head up to the zoo past you, these issues and a few other things the boss has added to our itinerary has led us to cut a few things out. So unfortunately wont be able to meet. Mat's closer and we are trying to work out a meet up, will be after hours when he gets home from work. Not sure if you can join us or not. It wont be a long meet up. He's got a family to attend to, so it will be a couple of cold ones i reckon.

jay see
22nd September 2015, 11:49 PM
Well at least by the time you get back the motor will be well ran in and I'm sure you'll have a nice list for jpc.
Enjoy the lazy day tomorrow. :beer:

jff45
23rd September 2015, 07:09 AM
Mark, no worries.. Hope you get your car issues sorted out.
Count me out for after hours pub meet, missus is not too well and I don't drink anyway..
Hope your trip back is less eventful.

Bloodyaussie
27th September 2015, 07:53 AM
So any update or have you resided in the fact its running like shit till you get home?

Dod you catch up with Matt?

Hodge
27th September 2015, 08:03 AM
So any update or have you resided in the fact its running like shit till you get home?

Dod you catch up with Matt?

I spoke to him Friday arvo he was at Morton island, it's still running like a bag of poo and that noise is still very loud but not as bad. Think hes over it and will just drive it and enjoy the holiday.
Oh and his Redarc gauges all died too. He ain't having much luck lol.

mudski
27th September 2015, 10:27 PM
...and my new ARB side awning is missing the main channel that has the two main legs on it. Only discovered this when i needed to use it. I should have checked it was all there before out trip but so many things to do pre trip i jusr forgot about this.
So i caught up with Mat, not much could be done really until i get back home and park teh car at JPC for another two weeks. Mat showed me how to advance the timing on the pump. Which may have helped, but the luck ive have lately im more likely to make things worse.
So i will have to put up with the excessive fuel consumption, noisy injector rattles from the pump over fueling and the poor performance.
But surprisingly the car went great on the sand. So much fun to drive on. We had a nice 20% graded sandy hill to accend. Had to hit it fairly hard in 2nd. Was fun doing the off camber sandy tracks and coming off the hard sand and onto the real soft sand onto an inland track.
It was quite unexpected.

nissannewby
5th October 2015, 10:23 PM
How did you go mark? Make it home without anymore issues?

mudski
5th October 2015, 11:12 PM
How did you go mark? Make it home without anymore issues?
Made it home last night Mat. No more issues too. Thank god for that. The car just ran like a bag of poo, used a crap of fuel and farted lots of black smoke.
I didnt bother to advance the timing on pump as you suggested to try. I instead decided to tear a muscle in my shoulder on Moreton Island lifting the swags off the roof rack, then root my elbow somehow on one of the rides at Wet and Wild. Lol. So i also drove home in pain too.
But back to the car. Will drop it off at jpc, again, and it will sit there for a week or two, then ill get it back and hopefully its fixed.
Then i have to attend to the gawd awful clunk the rhs front gets when turning the wheel. I can feel it through the steering wheel and floor. Its worse when i am turning left and the suspension is compressing like from entering a driveway.
Im thinking, well hoping its the radius arm bushes. They look ok but hard to tell when they are bolted up to the car. I have a set of bushes here and some arm, just need to press them in and swap them over. I first thought it was the bracket on the drag link for the steering damper as the u bolts on the superior bracket were stretched and couldnt be tightened up. So it was slipping on the drag link. New ubolts and still the clunking noise.
Hoping its not the steering box...