PDA

View Full Version : TD42 high performance water pump feedback

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2015, 01:24 PM
Some may have read my question asked about high performance water pumps for the TD42 and was met mostly with dont bother its not worth it...

Well I am happy to say that I fitted a JPC pump before my trip to South Australia and was towing a hard floor camper and was fully loaded.

To say that it was night and day is an understatement as my cars water temps were never troubled once at all... it got to the point where for the first time I stopped watching the gauge.

There is a very long and steep hill heading up the Western Highway that goes for may kilometers and trucks end up crawling up it by the time they get too the top and my temps never went past 86 degrees.

The very most my temps saw was 88 degrees and that on a very steep section and it was after I had just stopped for a short break so you get that initial rise.

On my trip I drove many K's including some hard beach driving with high rpm holding 2nd gear high range for long section of beach and winding hilly country including crossing the Grampians and not once did my temp gauge go past the 80's in temp.

Now I have gotten to know what my temps are like and with new hoses and radiator plus good clamps and a higher rated radiator cap my system is in very good condition and was tested recently but on those long hills temps would climb to 99 degrees no problem and being this is one of the coldest winters in a long time I knew I would not be happy come a long hot summer.

So my experience with this pump is 100% happy and I would recommend to anyone who is willing to pay the coin... mostly those that tow heavy loads.

I will report back truthfully with my experience mainly coming into this summer.

These pumps retail for $480... not cheap I know but cheaper than some others out there and much better than Patrolaparts one by a mile.

Cheers.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/9a7f615f1849344ec15f7fe37d08a935_zpszhvhhcya.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/jpgpz/media/9a7f615f1849344ec15f7fe37d08a935_zpszhvhhcya.jpg.h tml)

threedogs
20th September 2015, 01:41 PM
As I said very John bennettish, has to have 40% more flow over those pressed tin fans that most OE pumps use.
John would've die grinded that back surface smooth to stop any chance of cavitation, but Johns pumps were $600.
for part "A" and a further $600 for part "B".
Nothing worse than looking at the gauges all the time ,one more thing sorted by the look of things.

Ben-e-boy
20th September 2015, 03:29 PM
Its good to hear you finally have some reliability.
How is the turbo and new tune etc

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2015, 03:55 PM
Its good to hear you finally have some reliability.
How is the turbo and new tune etc

Cheers Ben... turbo is good and will go into that soon.

Bigcol
21st September 2015, 07:57 AM
well, thats a very nice looking piece of kit

looks nothing like the "hi flow" one that was in my 4.2 - thats why I was under whelmed

good job

ok, so where do I get one??????????????

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 08:06 AM
I was going o see if I could work towards a forum discount...?

Going to see them today I think.

Hodge
21st September 2015, 08:40 AM
Going to see them today I think.

Might see you there, gonna go see Mark my self.
I'd be keen on one of these personally, providing there is benefit on a stock td42i ? I know any bit of extra cooling on a td42 is good, but thought I'd ask.

Winnie
21st September 2015, 08:44 AM
So you reckon it dropped your temps by about 10 degrees? That's a huge difference, awesome work.

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 11:20 AM
So you reckon it dropped your temps by about 10 degrees? That's a huge difference, awesome work.

It hasnt dropped his temps at all. Just stabilised them. The thermostat still controls the temp.

99c isnt that bad either.

billyj
21st September 2015, 04:16 PM
sounds like just what i need for my tb42et

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 05:44 PM
Just spoke to Mudski and sitting on 110kmh his car is sitting on 95 degrees.. Now is this because his car is putting out a lot more horse power?

On the highway mine sat on 83-87 degrees doing 110kmh towing a camper.

Hodge
21st September 2015, 06:19 PM
Well you did have that pump BA, and isn't he in QLD, warmer weather ??

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 06:19 PM
More power. Slightly different system. 95 degrees is ok. Nothing to worry about at 95.

Dont take my comments the wrong way jono. Its good you have seen an improvement from the dollars you have spent. If you went with one from another company down there I dont believe the results would have been anywhere near as good. Jpc have done a nice job on the impeller.

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 06:24 PM
Cheers Matt yes the main difference I think is under load or big big hills where it seems to have made things more stable.. yes I know 95 is not a problem with these cars but it was how quick mine would climb in the middle of winter on a snow trip hitting 100 at one point when no one else seem to have this.

Eric Mark has the same pump as me and when I was first driving on my holiday the temp was in its mid 20's and towing... Mark is experiencing the same temps I think but not towing?

In the end I am very happy with it performance and have no regrets.

AB
21st September 2015, 06:38 PM
More power. Slightly different system. 95 degrees is ok. Nothing to worry about at 95. Dont take my comments the wrong way jono. Its good you have seen an improvement from the dollars you have spent. If you went with one from another company down there I dont believe the results would have been anywhere near as good. Jpc have done a nice job on the impeller. fwiw the other company down here have been working on a new pump for the last 12 months from the states and is just about ready for testing on td42's.

Will be interesting to see results.

I'm happy your seeing improvements johno, something I've been considering for a long time myself!

Good to get real feedback.

nissannewby
21st September 2015, 06:46 PM
Lets hope it's better than the last attempt.

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2015, 09:28 PM
Managed to get my hands on a patrolapart pump today and it did not impress me...

I would rather a good pump made in japan for a bit over $130 than this for $250 exchange.

Bloodyaussie
23rd September 2015, 01:30 PM
Here are the pics all together including the gmb pump that i took out of my car.

Gmb $140

Patrolapart $250 exchange

Jpc $480

Bloodyaussie
24th September 2015, 01:07 PM
Just took the camper back to mattys and the drive is up the calder with a number of big hills.

The car did not go above 88 degrees and i travel the road semi often so this is one road i have a good idea of temps... normally without a trailer i get well into the high 90's on one of the really long hills so this is a massive difference.

The recovery time is also much faster.

The next hill the check is at ab's place. ..he knows the one.

AB
24th September 2015, 01:49 PM
Just took the camper back to mattys and the drive is up the calder with a number of big hills. The car did not go above 88 degrees and i travel the road semi often so this is one road i have a good idea of temps... normally without a trailer i get well into the high 90's on one of the really long hills so this is a massive difference. The recovery time is also much faster. The next hill the check is at ab's place. ..he knows the one. Melba hwy up to Kinglake turn off, cracker of a test hill!

Hodge
24th September 2015, 05:08 PM
Melba hwy up to Kinglake turn off, cracker of a test hill!

This is the one heading north just before kinglake - healsville road ???

liftlid
24th September 2015, 05:39 PM
Just took the camper back to mattys and the drive is up the calder with a number of big hills. The car did not go above 88 degrees and i travel the road semi often so this is one road i have a good idea of temps... normally without a trailer i get well into the high 90's on one of the really long hills so this is a massive difference. The recovery time is also much faster. The next hill the check is at ab's place. ..he knows the one.
Which pump did you get?

Bloodyaussie
24th September 2015, 05:51 PM
Which pump did you get?

Try reading the thread. .... bone head

BigRAWesty
24th September 2015, 08:26 PM
Here are the pics all together including the gmb pump that i took out of my car.

Gmb $140

Jpc $480
Geeze it's chalk and cheese hey.
You definitely get what you pay for.
Good to see its working to.

Bigcol
24th September 2015, 09:50 PM

Gmb $140

Jpc $480

I had that top one............

was replaced with one that looks like N#2

but DAYAM, I'm loving the look of N#3

have to go check my money tree, and shake the leaves a bit to see if any falls out................

liftlid
25th September 2015, 11:19 AM
Try reading the thread. .... bone head
Thanks for nothing

Bloodyaussie
25th September 2015, 11:43 AM
I had that top one............

was replaced with one that looks like N#2

but DAYAM, I'm loving the look of N#3

have to go check my money tree, and shake the leaves a bit to see if any falls out................

Most of the main customers come from the top end of WA, NT and places like that.

threedogs
25th September 2015, 11:56 AM
Those other 2 look to me having seen john bennet water pumps
will create a lot of cavitation, The one BA has is the bee's knees and well worth the $$$
be it bit costly.
Is there a bleed screw on the back of the head on these 4.2's for air

Bloodyaussie
4th October 2015, 08:55 PM
Ok here is another update.

I have just spent 2 days traveling the local region with some big hills and much warmer weather plus at one point was towing more than a tonne of wood on winding country roads.

I also climbed the hill near ab's place and everything has worked brilliantly.

The hottest it got was 91 but besides the big improvement on temps was the way it recovers after the big hills.. the temps come back down so fast and do not linger in the higher temps long at all.

I'll keep up the updates.

OLY
17th October 2015, 10:35 PM
good work mate, thanks for posting up your results. very helpful!!

Bloodyaussie
29th December 2015, 10:18 AM
Here is another update from my latest trip to Sth Australia towing a camper fully loaded.

Now I was near on 4 tonne all up and headed up the Western hwy with that very long hill near Melton with the temps never getting over 90.

Later in the day we were near Horsham where the outside temps were in their 40's and their was a head wind I was at one stage sitting on 115kmh (did not mean to) and the temps got to 97 and held until I got back down to 105kmh then the temps sat at 92.... and if I went down to 100kmh the temps dropped to below 90.

All temps held and never continued to climb and when driving through small towns the temps very quickly dropped to low 80's.. all this is disgusting heat and towing fully loaded.

The car handled everything with ease and was never bothered.

To say this is one of the best mods I have done is an understatement and can easily justify the price of the pump.

Winnie
29th December 2015, 10:28 AM
That's awesome... Lots of people have troubles with the TD overheating so this mod should be pretty popular. How long have they been around?

Bloodyaussie
29th December 2015, 10:30 AM
Not long... I think I was about the 5th or 6th car to run this pump and was a bit of a test dummy.

Dannyboyz
11th January 2016, 08:32 AM
Hey mate just wondering what radiator and fan you are running with this pump? I am planning on upgrading the cooling system on my td42 as it is all standard and I am have alot of problems with it overheating while towing, hits 120 on the vdo gauge very quickly and takes forever to cool down again. Well aware that my system probably needs some TLC but I'm thinking that if I am pulling it all apart may aswell put it back together bigger and better!

mudski
11th January 2016, 12:18 PM
He has the stock fan set up and i think a 3 core radiator..
I have one of these pumps in my gu. But everything else is stock.
My temps do get up around 105 to 110c when towing but they do drop fairly quick too.
I think for these motors its best to have bigger everything.

Dannyboyz
11th January 2016, 12:30 PM
Thank you mate, that's what I am thinking, the troll has been so good and hasn't cost me a cent in six years (aside from usual wear and tear) so I think I should give it a birthday!

mudski
11th January 2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah i think i need to update my system. Aussie Desert coolers are right around the corner from me but i have read too many horror stories of their rads cracking tanks etc etc.

Dannyboyz
11th January 2016, 01:49 PM
Oh really? Thats good to know mate thanks! cos they are the only brand I ever hear about around home so I thought they were the go. I'm new to this forum so I guess I need to look around a bit more!

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2016, 02:46 PM
Sorry mate I have been away in the high country..

My radiator is standard copper brass and good quality hoses with standard viscous fan, I have the complete shroud and a standard thermostat.

The only non standard is the pump..

Cooling system worked perfect on my latest trip with a heap of gear for 2 blokes camping for 4 days and some massive hill climbs that seem to go on forever.

threedogs
11th January 2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah i think i need to update my system. Aussie Desert coolers are right around the corner from me but i have read too many horror stories of their rads cracking tanks etc etc.

Norm and Aussie desert coolers what can I say GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Norm knows his stuff but its let down by his product
better he sticks to Hot rods IMO never again

Dannyboyz
11th January 2016, 05:15 PM
Cool mate, I have just had a proper look at your profile picture and see you have a GQ, I have a 98 GU wagon with an 03 td42ti under the bonnet, so radiators will be different anyway, I think I saw on another thread that factory GU rads are all alloy? Never mind the different models that water pump sounds a winner! I definitely have to do something with the cooling system on the big gurl cos I think regularly hitting 120 has got to be doing damage!

Bloodyaussie
16th April 2016, 08:41 AM
Ok another update on this pump..

2 days ago i drove to murray bridge with a caravan weighing 2020kg and it was about 27 degrees as i left Melbourne up the western highway.

Now the climb up the highway is very steep and goes for bloody miles.

The temp got to its highest i have seen reaching 103 degrees but held and quickly came down again when leveled out or slowed down.. now i was still managing about 80kmh as i climbed the hill so was still pushing a bit and i could have gone faster if i wanted.

Once up the temps hovered around 92-98 degrees with the road rise and falling for another couple of hundred kms until i got near Ararat then things flattened out and temps would fall back well into the 80's.

The cooling system was never bothered the whole trip and am very impressed with how it has done to this date.

Now if it was a 40 degree day i would have probably crawled up that big hill and taken it a bit easier.

Hodge
16th April 2016, 08:48 AM
As per Jonathans, description. I noticed the same change after my pump was fitted about 2 weeks ago now. How quickly the temps fall. Much faster compared to stock pump.

BigRAWesty
16th April 2016, 09:13 AM
Did you only get to Murry bridge or did you go to Adelaide??
The free way out of Adelaide going up hill is a huge test..

Bloodyaussie
16th April 2016, 10:13 AM
Did you only get to Murry bridge or did you go to Adelaide??
The free way out of Adelaide going up hill is a huge test..

Murray bridge ......

Hodge
19th April 2016, 08:05 PM
So todays been the warmest day since I had the pump fitted. 29C up north where I was and I thought I'd tickle the car up the hills through Kinglake. Lugged it up a long hill in 5th, and it maxed out at 89, prior to that it'd be well into the 90's, even on lesser slopes...
Once again as per previous posts here, once over the hill and on flat/downhill ground the temps dropped very very fast into high 70's . Usually settles at 78-79.
So far so good.

AB
19th April 2016, 08:14 PM
So todays been the warmest day since I had the pump fitted. 29C up north where I was and I thought I'd tickle the car up the hills through Kinglake. Lugged it up a long hill in 5th, and it maxed out at 89, prior to that it'd be well into the 90's, even on lesser slopes... Once again as per previous posts here, once over the hill and on flat/downhill ground the temps dropped very very fast into high 70's . Usually settles at 78-79. So far so good. Was that on Melba up to Kinglake turn off on left or from Whittlsea side?

Hodge
19th April 2016, 08:18 PM
Was that on Melba up to Kinglake turn off on left or from Whittlsea side?

I think so Andy, it was not that far after I took off from Glenburn from memory...

AB
19th April 2016, 08:19 PM
I think so Andy, it was not that far after I took off from Glenburn from memory... Ok so you were inbound to Yarra Glen yeah?

Hodge
19th April 2016, 08:21 PM
Ok so you were inbound to Yarra Glen yeah?

heading south along Melba and i turned right into kinglake-healsville rd. The ascent was just before that if I remember. Not far from toolangi

Hodge
19th April 2016, 08:37 PM
Why do you ask Andy? Is that your proving grounds or something lol.
Another test when going that was is after Whittlesea as the road winds it's way to the right and up.... That always forces down gearing.

mudski
19th April 2016, 08:56 PM
So todays been the warmest day since I had the pump fitted. 29C up north where I was and I thought I'd tickle the car up the hills through Kinglake. Lugged it up a long hill in 5th, and it maxed out at 89, prior to that it'd be well into the 90's, even on lesser slopes...
Once again as per previous posts here, once over the hill and on flat/downhill ground the temps dropped very very fast into high 70's . Usually settles at 78-79.
So far so good.
Next time you do a run mate give me a hoy so we can go together and compare.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

AB
19th April 2016, 08:58 PM
Why do you ask Andy? Is that your proving grounds or something lol. Another test when going that was is after Whittlesea as the road winds it's way to the right and up.... That always forces down gearing. Yarra Glen up to Christmas Hills is the favourite being steep and sharp corners to slow you down but from Dixons Creek up to Kinglake turn off on Melba is long and moderate steepness, pre IC I used to hit 500 + on that hill.

Towing was back to 3rd playing tennis watching the EGT gauge.

Bloodyaussie
19th April 2016, 08:59 PM
Next time you do a run mate give me a hoy so we can go together and compare.

Thats cute......

mudski
19th April 2016, 09:06 PM
Yarra Glen up to Christmas Hills is the favourite being steep and sharp corners to slow you down but from Dixons Creek up to Kinglake turn off on Melba is long and moderate steepness, pre IC I used to hit 500 + on that hill.

Towing was back to 3rd playing tennis watching the EGT gauge.
That hill is nothing. I can floor it on that hill and my egts wont go over 350c and water temp wont go over 100c. The hill up to Kinglake west from Whittlesea however....

Thats cute......

How so? It would be good to compare water temps while both doing the same hill, same gear same speed etc etc i need to go bush. Lets go out Sunday, or something.

Hodge
19th April 2016, 09:10 PM
I had training in Glenburn which I why I was up there and on the way back i thought I'd push it. Also noting down egts to compare before and after CC. Hope I see it this week.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

AB
19th April 2016, 09:10 PM
That hill is nothing. I can floor it on that hill and my egts wont go over 350c and water temp wont go over 100c. The hill up to Kinglake west from Whittlesea however.... How so? It would be good to compare water temps while both doing the same hill, same gear same speed etc etc i need to go bush. Lets go out Sunday, or something. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk I know Its not Mount Everest cocko it's a good local hill that I know how my vehicle performs up it in what set up I had that's all...lol

mudski
19th April 2016, 09:25 PM
I know Its not Mount Everest cocko it's a good local hill that I know how my vehicle performs up it in what set up I had that's all...lol
I hear ya.... Take the Q up the hill from Whittlesea mate. Now you have all the new go fast bolts ons in. Or even the big long hill just before Marysville. Thats a good test that one.

nissannewby
19th April 2016, 09:27 PM
That hill is nothing. I can floor it on that hill and my egts wont go over 350c and water temp wont go over 100c. The hill up to Kinglake west from Whittlesea however....

How so? It would be good to compare water temps while both doing the same hill, same gear same speed etc etc i need to go bush. Lets go out Sunday, or something.

If egts are only that water temps shouldnt get to 100....

nissannewby
19th April 2016, 09:28 PM
I know Its not Mount Everest cocko it's a good local hill that I know how my vehicle performs up it in what set up I had that's all...lol

Wait til the new pump goes on mate. Wont even know the hills are there.

Hodge
19th April 2016, 09:39 PM
It would be good to compare water temps while both doing the same hill, same gear same speed etc etc i need to go bush. Lets go out Sunday, or something.

Yeh right lol. You'll be in 5th while I'd be at the bottom looking for 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

AB
19th April 2016, 09:45 PM
Wait til the new pump goes on mate. Wont even know the hills are there. I need to get a new gauge pronto!

Kimbo63
19th April 2016, 11:03 PM
I need to get a new gauge pronto!
Check out the prosport web site AB you won't be disappointed great product at a great price loaded with extra features such as recall audible and visual alarms

nissannewby
20th April 2016, 12:26 PM
If egts are only that water temps shouldnt get to 100....

Just on top of this. If egts are that cool and water temps get to 100 then its the cooling system letting it get that hot not the extra fuel.

mudski
20th April 2016, 03:46 PM
Just on top of this. If egts are that cool and water temps get to 100 then its the cooling system letting it get that hot not the extra fuel.
Makes sense... Thanks.
Ive got a while now to get this sorted. Winter's coming.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

sime
3rd March 2017, 02:38 PM
Any updates on how the pump has performed over summer?

Also just confirming you have a standard 2 core radiator?
Do you know which radiator brand?

Thanks
Sime

Hodge
3rd March 2017, 03:08 PM
Any updates on how the pump has performed over summer?

Also just confirming you have a standard 2 core radiator?
Do you know which radiator brand?

Thanks
Sime
Hey mate. My JPC high flow is definite improvement over last summer in a sense , how much quicker the temps recover after car is pushed.
It hasn't helped lower the temps as such , but the recovery it's where the main difference is.
And i have a factory 2 core radiator. Original.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

sime
3rd March 2017, 03:37 PM
Hey mate. My JPC high flow is definite improvement over last summer in a sense , how much quicker the temps recover after car is pushed.
It hasn't helped lower the temps as such , but the recovery it's where the main difference is.
And i have a factory 2 core radiator. Original.

Thanks for the info Hodge, do you have a front or top mount intercooler?

cheers
sime

Hodge
3rd March 2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info Hodge, do you have a front or top mount intercooler?

cheers
sime
Top mount. I have the cross country cooler.

sime
3rd March 2017, 03:49 PM
Top mount. I have the cross country cooler.

Excellent, thanks Hodge