PDA

View Full Version : Having to pay to visit cape york!!!???

FNQGU
19th September 2015, 04:48 PM
Just had this link sent to me, from the Pat Callinan website. Must say that my reaction is 'No Bloody Way!'

https://www.mr4x4.com.au/4x4-news-proposed-new-fees-for-cape-york/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Rip+off+or+not%3F+Proposed+fees+for+Ca pe+York&utm_campaign=Newsletter+%23118

If there is a need to further fund the Parks and maintain the roads, that is on top of all the 'free' money that already gets handed out on the Cape, then it needs to be publicly justified.

The ferry is extortionate, and is a very one sided affair too. The camping fees at the NP's are fine, and are standard around Australia, so why is it that there is suddenly a 'need' to charge $100 per vehicle?

My thoughts!

threedogs
19th September 2015, 05:26 PM
Is the ferry across the Jardine still on private land, $100 sounds a bit steep
Id have second thoughts about going even if the fee was divided by say 3 ppl

bazzaboy
19th September 2015, 09:29 PM
Disgusting money grab, but I must say.... I'm surprised it wasn't suggested before now. Come see Australia while you can still afford to do it!

Cuppa
19th September 2015, 11:04 PM
I think it is a move designed to put pressure onto the need for a resolution between the native title owners & the governments. The Apudthama have little bargaining power. Causing an outcry by folk who want to travel up to the tip is about the only leverage they can use. We should all express outrage, but hopefully to where it really belongs .......... the government who are reducing services & deliberately making communities unviable.

https://www.facebook.com/815188275162236/photos/a.827104210637309.1073741829.815188275162236/1123974554283605/?type=1&theater

Always more than one side to every story

ova50
19th September 2015, 11:50 PM
Done the Cape in 2004, at the time the ferry engine was out of action (and having trouble getting parts for it) and they had a Toyota on either side of the Jardine pulling the ferry back and forth with rope.
From memory it cost $80. We have been thinking of going back in either 2016 or 2017. Being hit another $100, I don't think I would go.

What next, the States charging a fee to cross the boarder, or worse, Local councils charging to enter their shire.

nissannewby
20th September 2015, 12:22 AM
Interesting.

We now have to pay a vehicle permit on top of camping permits to access the beaches in seq. Now the beaches here are all treated as public road and are policed accordingly. So why do we still have to pay to drive on the beach? If its deemed a public road and all the same rules apply why is this not covered in our rego fees.

Whats an extra $100 on the cost of the cape trip?

We are all being ripped off daily at the bowser......

threedogs
20th September 2015, 11:53 AM
Done the Cape in 2004, at the time the ferry engine was out of action (and having trouble getting parts for it) and they had a Toyota on either side of the Jardine pulling the ferry back and forth with rope.
From memory it cost $80. We have been thinking of going back in either 2016 or 2017. Being hit another $100, I don't think I would go.

What next, the States charging a fee to cross the boarder, or worse, Local councils charging to enter their shire.

I went to the Cape in 1983 cost of the ferry was $20 a head, we did the tourist thing
ferry on the way up [no facilities]and crossed the Jardine upstream a few Kays on the way back
Archer river roadhouse was just being built and TAA Wilderness lodge had gone broke
and was locked up with all stock visible in the fridges, The "TIP had bamboo toilets.
Rustic but a far cry from whats there now I would think. We stayed 200 mtrs from the "TIP"
Again no facilities but we brought some frozen steaks and frozen bread in Bamaga to celerbrate later
on the south bank of the Jardine