PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Repair methods

dom14
17th September 2015, 11:02 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping gather some information on how to repair radiator leaks(not hoses) that tend to happen suddenly.
By that I didn't mean any chemicals that we add to the radiator water, but external repair methods.

What are the methods available to repair a cracked/damaged radiators?

Can we use solder, flux and soldering iron/butane torch etc to repair it?

Are there any products that we can apply from outside and let it harden for a while before refilling the radiator with water/coolant?

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas/advice.

my third 256
18th September 2015, 07:43 AM
plasty bond /metal putty /ferropray any of these and im sure there are many more but then get it propperly fixed at your erliest conveniance

threedogs
18th September 2015, 09:29 AM
Chemiweld and similar will kill your motor, use silver flakes to stop any leaks.
very cost effective and will get you mobile in a very short time.
carry some in your glove box only $5 from memory
or You can crimp the leaking tube

dom14
18th September 2015, 01:53 PM
Chemiweld and similar will kill your motor, use silver flakes to stop any leaks.
very cost effective and will get you mobile in a very short time.
carry some in your glove box only $5 from memory
or You can crimp the leaking tube

Is that something you put into the coolant?

threedogs
18th September 2015, 02:27 PM
Is that something you put into the coolant?

after you remove your cap your water level will be down because of the leak,
tip the flakes into your radiator top up with water/coolant, replace the cap and
idle and watch the leak stop.

dom14
18th September 2015, 08:56 PM
after you remove your cap your water level will be down because of the leak,
tip the flakes into your radiator top up with water/coolant, replace the cap and
idle and watch the leak stop.

Yes mate, but these stuff we put into the radiator to temporarily fix leaks are bit of a mystery when it comes to how they affect the long term well being of the engine. Almost all the mechanics universally dislike these chemicals 'cos of the extra work it creates for them as well as the owner.
I was seeking information more on methods I can use from outside, using some not so heavy gear I can carry in the back of the car. Since radiators are made of copper or aluminium, I thought there might be a way to fix it from outside, on the fly, to get the vehicle to a proper service station to get it repaired properly.
I was guessing on methods of soldering or some sort of chemical paste or a combination of both or any other method I don't have a clue about.
For example, I carry an extra battery or two & enough welding sticks to be used in case shite hit the fan on the middle of nowhere. And I'm hoping there might be something similar for the radiator cracks as well.
I do understand, that for being able to do such a repair, I would need to pull the radiator out and drain all the liquid out of it, which is perfectly doable on the roadside with regular tools.