PDA

View Full Version : New Member - long time Lurker

gjones
17th September 2015, 01:12 PM
Hi, Just go around to joining. I've been 4WDing for a number of years and a member of a 4WD Club for as many years . Started with a Hilux but got feed up with accessing stuff in the canopy and looked around for a better solution. Had access to Telstra still patrols thru my work and decided they where the go.

In 2012 found a third hand ex Telstra Patrol with "Pod" that had been setup for touring. Expensive but it had a lot of fruit. 2004 TD42ti DX coil/leaf 200K. Came with steel bull bar, scrub bars and side steps. Roscos box kitted out with draws, shelves fridge slide. Twin Roscos fold down spare wheel carrier on the rear. Full roof rack above the Roscos Box and a smaller one above the cab. Had a Codan NGT HF radio, GME UHF, VMS in dash unit installed.

Then started spending, First up, rated recovery points for the front, hitch receiver for the rear 3 inch Taipan exhaust, UFI hi flow HT18 and dyno tune. This made a huge difference in the driveability. Loaded up for a camping (tent) trip and found that I was 150k over loaded. Don't like overloading so next was a GVM upgrade. Now has a GVM of 3900kg. Bought camper trailer so I could reduce the load carried. Replaced the GME 40ch with ICOM remote head 80ch and moved antenna off the bullbar to the fold down on the roof rack. Replaced the bench seat with a pair of Stratos LTSS and Supa seat covers.

Then set out on a round Australia trip. Got three days into it and rolled the Patrol and camper on the Great Central Road. The camper was write off (less than 6 months old) drive the Patrol all the way back to Perth. Luckly had the Patrol insured to include the accessories total repairs $53K was less than the insured value so it was rebuilt. Only panel not replaced was the cab back wall. The roll over force was taken by the Roscos box, the roof racks and the scrub bars. Chassis was still straight so the insurance could write it off, which made me very very happy as I wanted to keep the TD42ti.

I've since had a inawise TPMS installed and had the steering worked over by Ken Dennis "The Truck Whisper". Installed a rear vision camera system as a replacement for the rear view mirror, and installed 12v Aux distribution on a carpeted rear cab wall along with the HF and UHF radios. This has quietened down some of the road noise.

I've replaced the camper and now planing to start again on a extended trip next years.

I know it's not a brief introduction but oh well.

Greg Jones
Perth
VKS 0321

AB
17th September 2015, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

threedogs
17th September 2015, 01:25 PM
hello and welcome great intro, jump in anytime you like and enjoy.
Pet hate of mine travelling heavy

Stropp
17th September 2015, 03:52 PM
welcome along to the forum mate

JoeG
17th September 2015, 03:57 PM
Wow Greg
you had a bad start hopefully all good from now on
Great to see you have risen to the challenge and enjoying it
Good luck from now on
Regards
Joe

Dman2603
17th September 2015, 04:25 PM
Welcome aboard mate! That's certainly a ...... shit start! But good on ya for battling on & I'm sure the trip will make it all worth while!!

DX grunt
17th September 2015, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, Greg, and great to have another ex Telstra pod onboard.

Just saw the number plate on the trailer. That's where I'm from. lol.

Looking forward to seeing the set up inside the pod.

Take care out there.

I'm VKS 737 mobile 3748.

All the people in my signature have pods on the back of their utes.

Ross

gjones
17th September 2015, 05:25 PM
Yeah Ross,
I know from whence you come but it's only the camper that comes from there. The Patrol in ex Carnarvon and I'm from Perth, specifically Bassendean.

Dhuck
17th September 2015, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

growler2058
17th September 2015, 08:13 PM
G'day Greg, welcome aboard mate.

blocko05
18th September 2015, 07:05 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum mate

Briss
18th September 2015, 07:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Greg

MEGOMONSTER
18th September 2015, 01:46 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Clunk
23rd September 2015, 07:10 PM
G'day to you Greg and welcome aboard mate. What club were/are you in?

Bloodyaussie
23rd September 2015, 07:11 PM
Welcome aboard mate. .......

Plichta
7th October 2015, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

4bye4
7th October 2015, 10:20 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate.