PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions Front Axle Rebuild Related - tips needed.

gazq
16th September 2015, 09:41 PM
Hi Guys,

1. Noticed that I may have created some burs where the inner axle oil seal sits using a seal puller. What is the best way to smooth these out so the new oil seals will go in without too much trouble? Gentle file or emory paper?

2. A bit of corrosion has formed on the axle housing knuckle where the grease wiper seal wipes when swivel hub housing pivots. Similar to the above best way to smooth these out and clean them up?

3. Needle Roller bearing in the stub axle. How in the heck do you guys get those things out? There has to be a more effective way of doing it then they way i do it, which is with a hammer and chisel.

Thanks

-gazq

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2015, 01:52 AM
1. Emery Paper

2. Emery Paper

3. you doing it right.....

gazq
18th September 2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to be sure.

Just in case for those interested I gave myself a refresher by having a look at this brilliant post by MudRunnerTD

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28969-DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread&highlight=Front+axle+rebuild

Once again a great forum for people like me who only do this stuff once every year or so.

Snafu
19th September 2015, 09:47 PM
The easiest way I have found to remove the needle roller is the remove the neddle rollers and cage. The from the other end using a long stanely flat blade proceed to tap it out.
Also don't forget to install the caps for the king pin bearings and use moly grease for the king pin bearings. Some guys don't install them but espicially for the top bearing if not installed the grease drops out and bearing runs dry.
Also convert it to the GU set up its much easier.
Another thing is be careful of the steering stops that are adjusted properly if they are not you can flog out the axle seal. Have seen this before

gazq
28th December 2015, 07:10 AM
Do you guys silicon seal up your king pin bearing bits? Not the bearings them selves but the actual bit that has the shims that bolts down.

We get a bit of water down here in tas and getting into depths over the hub is fairly common.

Thanks!

Mercury33
17th January 2016, 01:07 PM
No i dont use silicone on the king pins. It would act like a shim and decrease pre load on the bearings. To combat water ingress i have packed bearing grease around the cv in addition to the cv grease in the joint itself.