PDA

View Full Version : Towing maximum weights GU auto verses manual

philZD30patrol
12th September 2015, 08:59 PM
Good evening all

Just wondered why the GU 3.0 litre automatic maximum tow weight is 2,500 kgs and the manual is 3,200?

The service manager at the Nissan dealer said it is because the automatic maximum torque is 354Nm@2,000 and the manual is higher at 380Nm@2,000-2,400. He claimed the torque is measured after the gear box and the auto is less efficient.

Another guy told me the auto engine is detuned because the auto gearbox is not strong enough to handle the extra torque.

Any other suggestions?

could I get my vehicle maximum towing capacity upgraded if I modified the engine to produce more torque? For example a chip and exhaust modification.

Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
Phil

the evil twin
12th September 2015, 09:22 PM
Good evening all

Just wondered why the GU 3.0 litre automatic maximum tow weight is 2,500 kgs and the manual is 3,200?

The service manager at the Nissan dealer said it is because the automatic maximum torque is 354Nm@2,000 and the manual is higher at 380Nm@2,000-2,400. He claimed the torque is measured after the gear box and the auto is less efficient.

Another guy told me the auto engine is detuned because the auto gearbox is not strong enough to handle the extra torque.

Any other suggestions?

could I get my vehicle maximum towing capacity upgraded if I modified the engine to produce more torque? For example a chip and exhaust modification.

Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
Phil

The reduced towing spec is a factory specification so the only way to get it 'legally' increased is thru engineering IE mod plate.