PDA

View Full Version : Redoing my BBQ area.

jay see
9th September 2015, 09:02 PM
My 6 burner jackaroo BBQ is getting close to the end of its life after 16 years. I want to strip it down and rebuild it to run on natural gas and lose the trolley frame and have it inbuilt. I will also run hot/cold water, sink, fridge and some bench area.

Has anyone converted or have s natural gas BBQ. Pros and cons please.

Will post updates with pics as it progresses along. If people want me to.

lucus30
9th September 2015, 09:58 PM
I know plenty that have gone to natural gas BBQs and they love it. Just need to drill the jets a bit wider

jay see
9th September 2015, 10:12 PM
I know plenty that have gone to natural gas BBQs and they love it. Just need to drill the jets a bit wider

I won't be drilling anything.
I need to change all the burners anyway and there's kit out there. I think there's a place in Thomastown that I pop in to.

dave97
10th September 2015, 09:10 AM
You might need new plates to they run a bit hotter from my experience.

threedogs
10th September 2015, 09:49 AM
Go to a BBQ place and buy natural gas burners they will have the mixer with them.
Agree don't go drilling anything, its a very volatile gas.
when running you don't want to see yellow in the flame a strong blue to light blue is what you need.
If you want some cast iron plates I have plenty here

jay see
12th September 2015, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the offer mate, but that's part of the reason for fixing it. The cast ones that are on ATM are farked.

threedogs
12th September 2015, 10:43 AM
You could go to an engineering shop and get a sheet of 12mm cut 600mm x 900mm.
Or price up a piece of 6mm stainless

Stropp
12th September 2015, 11:28 AM
natural gas does not burn as hot as lpg so hence the need for bigger holes in the jets, get the jets changes and a new hose and then you may need to adjust the screw on the bottom of the burner (generally) to get the right burn. as for the plate just get a sheet of stainless cut or if you wish just buy a heatlie inbiult bbq and you will never have to replace it again, expensive but they are without doubt the best one around and aussie made too not cheap junk.

bazzaboy
12th September 2015, 06:32 PM
If you running it from your home's gas system you may need to change the jets in the regulator depending on he size of the incoming service supply. I had to as all my appliances are gas. If I had the BBQ on and someone was in the shower, the gas cook-top in the kitchen had very little gas. Changing the regulator jets fixed the problem.
Yours may be OK.

Bazza.

jay see
16th September 2015, 01:54 AM
You could go to an engineering shop and get a sheet of 12mm cut 600mm x 900mm.
Or price up a piece of 6mm stainless

Every time I see a s/s plate they are don't look very clean...
Are they harder to keep clean.

If you running it from your home's gas system you may need to change the jets in the regulator depending on he size of the incoming service supply. I had to as all my appliances are gas. If I had the BBQ on and someone was in the shower, the gas cook-top in the kitchen had very little gas. Changing the regulator jets fixed the problem.
Yours may be OK.

Bazza.

Another thing to ask the Plumber. Thanks.

Haven't had a chance to look into getting a new BBQ or redo my existing one yet, but have changed the clear roof sheets to white. Heaps better. No more moving chairs to follow the shade.

Also installed a led floodlight above the BBQ so no more casting a shadow.

Getting ready for summer......

jay see
22nd October 2015, 02:17 AM
UPDATE.

This is the area that I'm transforming.

When out to Masters and bunnings and wasn't overly happy with what I found.

Decided on a Masport deluxe inbuilt 210, from BBQ's & Outdoors in Thomastown, a with natural gas kit.

Next was bricks.

500 of them.

Fridge Ebay special.

Still need to work out bench, run gas line and get sink and taps.

Looking to have it all done for around $2k. Better than buying one of those module sets

jay see
27th October 2015, 03:47 PM
Find a bit of time today and I changed to suit natural gas.

jay see
22nd November 2015, 01:28 AM
Had to put this aside while other things got sorted out.

One for the gas fitters this time.

I've got access to gas from a couple different points. Gas meter, hot water service or ducted heating unit.

The meter and the hot water are near each other, about 25 meters away and the heating is in the ceiling, about 15 metres away.

Does it make a difference from where I get it from? Hot water probably the easiest.

Will try to do a dry run with the bricks during the week, to see how it's all going to go together.

garett
22nd November 2015, 11:50 AM
the bbq i pulled down would have filled that area. it was 6m3 of rubble when i finished, it was way to big for my back yard. it should look great when you finish.

if you can run all the water gas in the same place i think it would be easier

Stropp
23rd November 2015, 01:22 AM
Yes mate hot water gas line will be ok, shorter run is cheaper 😀

jay see
23rd November 2015, 02:14 AM
Yes mate hot water gas line will be ok, shorter run is cheaper 😀

The central heating unit is the shortest run.
Will work it out with a Plumber.
Just wanted to know if any would do.
Thanks.

jay see
2nd December 2015, 11:05 PM
Finally had things aline to make a start on bricking. My father in law was a brickie and is more than happy to get out of the house.

A bit stuck on benches, want to use granite and found enough for what I need for $400. Cutting and polishing is another $1000, that's going to wait until I can get it cut and polished for less.

blocko05
3rd December 2015, 10:39 AM
looks like it is starting to come together mate. looking forward to seeing the finished product.

qwertytank
3rd December 2015, 03:49 PM
Looks Like you'll be set for summer. The question then will be, to sit around the new BBQ or get out in the Trol!!

jay see
3rd December 2015, 08:03 PM
Looks Like you'll be set for summer. The question then will be, to sit around the new BBQ or get out in the Trol!!

That's the plan.
To answer your question, if its bloody hot neither, I'll be sitting in the pool....

jay see
13th December 2015, 01:12 AM
Brick work done. Thanks father in law.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/70.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/71.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/72.jpg.

Getting there slowly.

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2015, 09:51 AM
Looking good

jay see
17th December 2015, 04:18 PM

Being quoted $1400 to do the benches in granite.:mad:

Going to price polished concrete as eventually I would like to do the floor as well.

mudski
17th December 2015, 05:23 PM
Woohoo! Beers, bbq and a swim at Johns place this weekend! Nice work there man! I look at my backyard and go pfft! The CBF's hit hard everytime I go out there....

lucus30
17th December 2015, 05:27 PM

Being quoted $1400 to do the benches in granite.:mad:

Going to price polished concrete as eventually I would like to do the floor as well.
Hey mate. Do it yourself if your going polished concrete. My mates just did it for all the bench tops in their house and it came up ace.

jay see
17th December 2015, 05:37 PM
Woohoo! Beers, bbq and a swim at Johns place this weekend! Nice work there man! I look at my backyard and go pfft! The CBF's hit hard everytime I go out there....

Nice try mate. I'm working all weekend and want to sleep during the day, but
I've got a funny feeling that it's a full house, bloody family show up when its hot.

It was throw $$$ at finishing the outside or the Patrol. Felt guilty having a kitted out troll and not finishing the house.

Hey mate. Do it yourself if your going polished concrete. My mates just did it for all the bench tops in their house and it came up ace.

I'm thinking if doing a DYI just need to research it a bit more.

lucus30
17th December 2015, 05:38 PM
I'll pop you the link to theirs hang on

lucus30
17th December 2015, 05:41 PM
http://www.odpod.com.au/shipping-container-concrete-kitchen-benchtop/

Feel free to drop them a comment on their page. They will respond to any questions, don't tell them your a mate of mine though otherwise they will just respond with a virtual beer

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2015, 05:42 PM
I've got a funny feeling that it's a full house, bloody family show up when its hot.

Its because they all love you and has nothing 2 do with the swimming pool in the backyard *L*

lucus30
17th December 2015, 06:22 PM
Its because they all love you and has nothing 2 do with the swimming pool in the backyard *L*
Yeah that's it mate. Might come round and accidentally slip in the pool

jay see
17th December 2015, 06:46 PM
Ha-ha.
Seriously tho, I will organize something once it's all finished, even if its a card night or something.

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2015, 06:48 PM
Ha-ha.
Seriously tho, I will organize something once it's all finished, even if its a card night or something.

Card night???? I'm only making the trip from Sydney if I can go in the pool *L*

mudski
17th December 2015, 06:49 PM
Ha-ha.

Make sure its a hot night though ay! Lol.

jay see
17th December 2015, 06:52 PM

Yeah, right that's why I've got two text messages asking if we are home tonight.

jay see
17th December 2015, 06:53 PM
Fark you guys are quick......

jay see
3rd April 2016, 01:59 AM
Completed......

With the sale if our house I had to finish off the area. Wasn't what I had planned, but it's finished.

Sir Roofy
3rd April 2016, 06:49 AM
You have to have 1 feed of it mate just to see if it works ok

threedogs
3rd April 2016, 03:39 PM
See a shame to finish it all nice and all and not be able to use it.
Many a trip has been planned from having drinks around a Bar bee
We had maps of Australia on some dust particle board and a few darts.
Still use it today selecting our fishing spot along the Murray.
Original is was suppose to be Picola but thought that was too commercial,
so on a closer look found Bearii and been going there since since 2004 I reckon
Love the place

jay see
3rd April 2016, 03:57 PM
We have used the BBQ a few times. It's a shame because it works brilliantly.
Didn't get to set it up on natural gas tho. A little pissed as it has to stay. Oh well we can't take everything.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2016, 04:19 PM
A little pissed as it has to stay. Oh well we can't take everything.

Why? knock it down with a hammer and rebuild at the new place :)

jay see
3rd April 2016, 04:30 PM
Why? knock it down with a hammer and rebuild at the new place :)

New place is at the in laws for a couple years. Should be interesting.....

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2016, 05:01 PM
New place is at the in laws for a couple years. Should be interesting.....

Yeh sorry forgot about that, I know I couldn't handle the in laws for a few years. Sounds the same for you. Good luck with it

jay see
3rd April 2016, 11:11 PM
Yeh sorry forgot about that, I know I couldn't handle the in laws for a few years. Sounds the same for you. Good luck with it

Nah, shouldn't be to bad. Kids get to stay at the same schools/sports and we get to help them out abit. They live locally.
Get along well with the father in law only issue is that he loves the drink, well maybe it's not so bad after all.:beer: