PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

Pezzer
8th September 2015, 11:56 PM
Hi I am about to turbo charge my td42 and was wondering what size top mount inter cooler to purchase

Pezzer

Rock Trol
9th September 2015, 12:23 AM
Depends on what sort of power you want. If its only moderate (standard TD42) then I think a small OE type from a GU would be OK as long as its tig welded. If you want bigger outputs then a larger intercooler from HPD or Cross Country would be needed. One of the TD42 guys would have more knowledge on the subject.

jff45
9th September 2015, 07:05 AM
If, like me, you don't have the budget for Cross Country or HPD stuff, you have the option of the chinese ICs.
I bought a 450 x 300 x 76 (core size) bar & plate IC from Ebay for $159. I made my own simple cradle from 20mm SHS and some flat bar and fitted a good Davies Craig fan to it to compensate a bit for the lesser quality IC.
As you can see in the pic, I'm making my own inlet piping from simple 2.5" mandrel exhaust pipe bends.

I also bought an Ebay bonnet scoop for $115 to match the IC size.

This is for my TB45 to TD42T auto conversion.

Pezzer
9th September 2015, 08:50 AM
Nice setup jff45...

mudski
9th September 2015, 09:29 AM
Wow! Nice work there mate! Wish I had the welding skills to make stuff like that. Where did the intake manifold come from?

threedogs
9th September 2015, 09:34 AM
Wow! Nice work there mate! Wish I had the welding skills to make stuff like that. Where did the intake manifold come from?

If you ever need anything fabricated then powder coated ,
you know where I am. plenty of steel here for brackets etc.
Even have a folder/bender which works a treat, fold flat plate and round sect.

Rock Trol
9th September 2015, 11:50 AM
Very nice job there jff45.

jff45
9th September 2015, 12:27 PM
Cheers guys, glad you like it. It was just to show that you can get a reasonably decent setup without having to pour $thousands into it.

Mark, I had the manifold made by a young guy in WA. It's a 3mm aluminium tube so it saves a lot of welding and I like the style of it.

I heard that red rocker covers were worth an extra 10 kW so I got a can of VHT :)