PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper pin

James NZ
5th September 2015, 09:50 AM
Hi there,

I'm replacing the front wheel bearings and brake pads on a Y60 Safari and discovered that one of the sliding pins had jammed and made the brake pads wear in a wedge shape. On pulling the caliper apart I see that the jammed pin, on the left in the photo, has a step and a rubber sleeve. Is the rubber sleeve correct? If so then it must be swollen as without using brute force I can't get the pin and sleeve back into the hole.

I expected the pin to look like the one on the right, and there is no guarantee that the truck is original, the poor girl looks like she's had a hard life.

Any advice please.

Thanks, James NZ

James NZ
5th September 2015, 11:35 AM
Hi,

All sorted. A coffee with a chockie biscuit and a bit of a think and all done. Just have to make the hub nut tool.

dom14
6th September 2015, 08:31 AM
Did you use the correct type of grease(calliper rubber grease) to lubricate the slide pins?
Any other grease will cause it to swell and dry up in no time. If the slide pin rubber boots are damaged or worn out, then you need to replace them as well, otherwise the grease will dry up in no time. Calliper minor repair kits come with the rubber boots.