PDA

View Full Version : Hello World

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 12:02 PM
G'day Guys
Can't believe that I never came across this forum before, I've been on Patrol 4x4 and ExploreOZ etc; I've always mistaken your URL for the Official Nissan website. Well, I now know better.

I have a 98 GU 4.5 LPG Patrol. Previously I had a 88 GQ SWB and had a bit of work done on her, but due to the new family, went to a LWB. Ruby (the name our girls gave our Patrol) has served us well for the ten years we have owned her. I never intended on getting another petrol Patrol but found her at amazing low KM and price. I've been wanting to upgrade for a diesel for years and have put off doing her up for years (she does have the basics — steel bullbar with winch and lights, cargo barrier and roofracks).

I came across this site when I was looking for the Factory Manual. I use to do all my work on the GQ but since the new family and own home didn't have the time. Now that things have settled down, I can get back into the maintenance / mods and more importantly actual 4WDing.

I was looking at the Factory Manual as I'm looking to do my suspension and rear rotors and pads. I am of the belief that if you can repair a car in your home garage with no real pressure, how the hell are you going to do it in the bush when it is likely to break. Also I'm only new to Canberra, but am blown away at how much thing cost here.

Any tips for suspension and rotor brands (leaning to either Iron Man / DOBINSON or EFS for Sus and RDA with QFM pads for the brakes). I not a fan of OME or ARB - not because they are not good products, but just the price (intention here is not to start a off-topic thread or hijack this thread ). I really like to buy Australian Made where possible. I'll hold onto RUBY until the new diesel Patrol has been around for a couple of years, so I need to maintain Ruby and make her feel loved but within a budget!

Well as you can tell, when I start to type, I can go one - sorry. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/icons/icon11.png Will look forward to seeing any responses to the upgrade question.

Cheers and thanks for the Manual.

TOOR

Bob
2nd April 2011, 12:11 PM
Welcome mate. I to have a 98 4500 GU. Join in the conversations and enjoy

growler2058
2nd April 2011, 12:29 PM
Gday mate theyre a good mob here bfull of quality info

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2011, 12:39 PM
Welcome aboard mate

Maxhead
2nd April 2011, 12:49 PM
G'Day Ruby, welcome to the forum and Canberra mate. As said above you'll get info you're looking for. So just join in and enjoy.

I'm running Dobinson coils and Koni shocks on 2" lift and find the setup perfect for my needs.

Where abouts in Canberra are you from???

Cheers
Kris

YNOT
2nd April 2011, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

RDA would be my pick for brake rotars and Bendix for brake pads.
Dobinson springs are top quality and Australian made. My pick for shock absorbers would be Koni but EFS are another good brand. Having had EFS Extreme in the front of my Patrol I would not recommend them (EFS Enforcer and Elite have more compliant damping), far too firm in the damping giving a harsh ride. I removed mine and went back to Tough Dog adjustables.

Tony

nowoolies
2nd April 2011, 02:10 PM
g`day mate
welcombe on board heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul

timbar
2nd April 2011, 02:21 PM
G'day Ruby - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Dhuck
2nd April 2011, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 03:34 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard and top intro. My wife's car is called Ruby also, but is a Rubicon - go figure! Great people, information and laughs on the forum, so don't be shy and join in to make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll look at the forums and put some questions about changing out the rotors (highest priority).

Regards

TOOR

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 06:33 PM
Hi Kris,
Campbell. What rig are you running

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Tony,

Did you find that Bendix can have a squealing? Thanks for the tip about the EFS. Look out for my future posts about suspension.

Regards

TOOR

Maxhead
2nd April 2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Ruby, the Bendix are ones of the best. I find they have the least amount of dust and no squealing at all.

I'm in Chisholm and drive a white ST 08 with snorkel & Maxxis 33's.... (easy picking in town) You in the defense forces ???? Campbell is mostly defense.
Might have to line up a drive up to the Brindies

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 07:54 PM
Hey Ruby, the Bendix are ones of the best. I find they have the least amount of dust and no squealing at all.

I'm in Chisholm and drive a white ST 08 with snorkel & Maxxis 33's.... (easy picking in town) You in the defense forces ???? Campbell is mostly defense.
Might have to line up a drive up to the Brindies

I have Bendix also - not a lot of dust, but mine do squeal from time to time. Usually means time to hose out the callipers!

Finly Owner
2nd April 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Ruby. I also prefer Bendix Pads. A name you can trust and average price.

Tim

damianovdd
2nd April 2011, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Ruby.

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi Kris
Good Guess - though I meet more DFAT people around here than Defence. Sounds like a plan for the trip to Brindies, however I'll need to sort out the brakes out first. Have you ever replaced the rear rotors. I've looked at the parts break down and it seems straight fwd. Need to get some new stands (mine went missing in the last removal)before hand though. Any recommendation for a shop to get gear here in ACT.

AB
2nd April 2011, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, great intro.

Glad to have you onboard and feel free to ask any questions.

Clunk
2nd April 2011, 11:20 PM
G'day mate welcome on board

wildgu6
3rd April 2011, 12:42 PM
Welcome aboard mate,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Hope you have a great 2011.
stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

big_fletch
3rd April 2011, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum

Fletcha

patch697
3rd May 2011, 07:13 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul