PDA

View Full Version : Patrol across the Simpson

Dr Gary
3rd September 2015, 02:41 PM
We recently completed a "solo" West/East crossing along the French Line. It was late in the season, so tracks cut up kinda badly, especially on the approaches.
We were fairly well loaded, food, accommodation, bedding etc for two. Suspension is standard height, with extra load capacity on the rears. Bridgestone AT tyres basically new.

We had two attempts on one hill, three on another, THEN stuck really deep on a third. Sand was so fine it filled the hole as soon as it was shoveled out, so Max Trax would not fit under the wheels. "good samaritan" winched us out==Patrol driver of course!!.

Some statistics:
From the Gold Coast via Tennant Creek to Mt Dare, across the Simpson to Birdsville, then home:. 5,876 km
Fuel: 901 litres, cost $1,199 plus $76 for backup fuel included in the 901. Average cost $1.49 litre
Top prices were Glen Helen $2.053 and Mt Dare $2.35
Fuel consumption: Overall 15.33 litres/100 km. Worst across the desert 22.35 litres/100km, mainly 1st and 2nd gear. We did not need the backup fuel--we had 1/4 tank in Birdsville.
We stayed in motels/cabins when available and spent $1,200. We could have saved probably $800 by camping, but this allowed us to do 600km each day getting there.
The "roads" from Kulgera to Mt Dare and on to Dalhousie Springs are terrible--corrugations and stones.

If you are going, choose May or June for better roads. We had a great time and we are both 75++. Go do it

4bye4
3rd September 2015, 02:45 PM
Just printed this for my missus as we are both 64 and do a lot of solo touring. Well done.

rusty00
3rd September 2015, 03:12 PM
Well done Doc, thanks for the post, love reading drive reports.
Do you have any photos to share.

Bigcol
3rd September 2015, 08:22 PM
X2 for the photo's if you can mate

Rock Trol
3rd September 2015, 11:21 PM
Well done. It's a great trip and your never too old to do it.

Ibbo
3rd September 2015, 11:46 PM
Great info. Thanks Doc.

blocko05
4th September 2015, 07:36 AM
what a great time the two of you must of had. Now I want to head off and do the same thing TODAY. Don't think my boss would appreciate it though. lol. thanks for sharing and hope to see some pics of your travels

Dr Gary
4th September 2015, 04:21 PM
Here you go:61102 Start of Westward journey
61103 Turnoff at Finke
61104Dalhousie Springs 1
61105Mt Dare
61106 More Dalhousie Springs
61107 First of many dunes
61108 A bit bigger
61109 Sunset over the Simpson
61110 Sleeping under the stars
61111 Tyres too high
61112 Too deep for MaxTrax
61113 This was rough
61114 Peopple Corner
61115 Final sunset in the desert
61116 On top of Big Red--final dune

threedogs
4th September 2015, 04:52 PM
Is the homestead still near the Kulgera road house ? I used to live there
for a while before venturing south on the ghan line, they say one of the gum trees planted
there are from John Batman

Onkey
4th September 2015, 09:46 PM
Grate photos.

FNQGU
5th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Hi Doc, thanks for sharing. It really is a great trip and something everyone who loves the bush should do.

Just out of interest, what were your tyre pressures at when you got stuck there? Did you try the Max Trax on the rear wheels, or even to try reversing out with them facing backwards? That sand looks pretty soft there.

We just did the trip in July and had a ball. Tyres were at about 20psi the whole trip and we were ok. Others in our group ran even lower at 16psi too.

TPC
5th September 2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for sharing, I have done a few different Simpson trips and loved them all, your post has made me want to go back again.
The first time I crossed was it was October which is definitely too late in the year as the temp was getting into the 40's.
The photo's are great, you will keep re-living the trip looking at them.

Dr Gary
6th September 2015, 08:33 AM
I was running 20 and 22, but the 40 degree heat had them well above that--should have checked that earlier. After that it was 18 and 20.
BTW we had very few issues earlier so were pretty close to OK until the days got much hotter.
Had max Trax front and back, but buried too deep to get traction on them, AND the sand was like water--just kept filling up as soon as I shoveled it out. Reverse just buried it deeper--bummer.

Dr Gary
6th September 2015, 08:40 AM
Is the homestead still near the Kulgera road house ? I used to live there
for a while before venturing south on the ghan line, they say one of the gum trees planted
there are from John Batman
We did not stop at Kulgera--we were on schedule to get from Alice Springs to Mt Dare in one day--easy but not much time to "smell the roses"

BSRT.Beast
7th September 2015, 02:01 PM
Fantastic pics .... would love to do something similar soonish. Just out of curiosity how long did you take for the trip ?

Dr Gary
8th September 2015, 08:42 AM
Fantastic pics .... would love to do something similar soonish. Just out of curiosity how long did you take for the trip ?
The way we went, it was via Longreach, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs to Mt Dare, with a little sightseeing along the way. One night at Mt Dare, three nights on the Simpson and one at Birdsville. Total was 13 days. The desert crossing was quicker than we planned, but it was too hot to stop mid afternoon, and there is not much to see once you leave Dalhousie Springs. That could be another night if you like to soak. Purnie Bore is not worth the stop.
Recommendation--go early--June/July for road conditions and weather.

Clunk
8th September 2015, 05:54 PM
great pics Doc, thanks for sharing mate

hempo
23rd September 2015, 03:05 PM
thanks Doc for the write up. I am always curious as to how much fuel one needs for the trip. Most say the standard Patrol tanks of 125 litres should be enough if doing a fairly straight run across.

Glad to hear someone came along in time to winch you out. Would have been hard going digging in that heat.

Cheers