PDA

View Full Version : Have the wobbles with muddies

jay see
1st September 2015, 07:48 PM
My troll has never had the wobbles, regardless of which wheels have been on.

Now that I have given it a run with MudrunnersTD wheels the steering wheel starts to wobble at 65k and gets pretty bad to the point that you feel that you should lift off, but up towards 80k it starts to settle, beyond that up to 100k and its fine.

Is a wheel balance all that's needed here.

mudnut
1st September 2015, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I had the tyre bloke
spin my new tyres on the rims
and re-balance them.
The wobble disappeared.
I hope it is as simple for your
problem.

Clunk
1st September 2015, 07:57 PM
if you've not had the wobbles before and it's only just started since changing wheels over, then yes more than likely a wheel balance is required.

Bacho86
1st September 2015, 08:33 PM
I've got similar issue with my muddies, patrol behaves perfectly fine with all terrains on. But with the muddies around. 70-80km/h I get the wobbles, noticeable but don't feel like the car is going to take off.

I've had the muddies re-set and balanced numerous times (kept on breaking the bead), but hasn't really helped for me! Hope you have more luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucus30
1st September 2015, 11:12 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as bacho. I've given up trying to get them balanced and just live with it

blocko05
2nd September 2015, 07:38 AM
I have come across this with mine once before and it was resolved with a balance. I have read on another forum that depending on the tyres fitted that they need to have the orange dot on the side wall placed as close to the valve as possible or the tyre will not balance correctly. Dont know if that is true but someone said that it worked for them.

Tank
2nd September 2015, 07:54 AM
I run 33"muds all the time and have found that any shaking issues are caused by the following
1, in correct fitting on my part, the dot dose have to be lined up with the valve, otherwise they don't balance properly (see #3)
2, crap inside the tyre, either from popping a bead or bits of rubbish and water in the tyre at time of fitting (had a couple of small pieces of gravel and some water that I missed once and they caused me all sorts of grief
3, Not balancing them properly, I can say this as I fit my own tyres, my local mechanic and good mate orders my tyres and then I fit them and balance them, he thought I should learn about the joys of braking beads on the gold Nissan rims
4, king pin bearing's
5, Nolathan bushes

jay see
3rd September 2015, 05:43 PM
Have done the ring around and even some of the 4x4 places won't balance simex.
So far Offroad Konnection is the only one that can do it at about $20 each. Will see if I can find someone closer.

Bloodyaussie
3rd September 2015, 05:53 PM
Are you using the simex's as your daily tyres???

jay see
3rd September 2015, 06:00 PM
Are you using the simex's as your daily tyres???

No, and never have had the intention to. The wobble between say 65-85 is pretty bad tho. Biggest PITA is driving in a 80 zone.

lucus30
3rd September 2015, 06:02 PM
Have done the ring around and even some of the 4x4 places won't balance simex.
So far Offroad Konnection is the only one that can do it at about $20 each. Will see if I can find someone closer.

Not far from me. I wonder if I should give them a shot

Bloodyaussie
3rd September 2015, 06:21 PM
The joy of tyres that are way out of balance mate.....

jay see
3rd September 2015, 06:23 PM
I think the biggest issue is that the wheel is 35", most places would be able to something smaller.

Bloodyaussie
3rd September 2015, 06:24 PM
Most places will not do 35's or bigger... you will find the odd place that will do it though.

BSRT.Beast
3rd September 2015, 06:29 PM
My guy in Kesyie does 35's and bigger ....what the main issue is most guys dont have the skill to balance bigger tyres.

jay see
3rd September 2015, 06:35 PM
The joy of tyres that are way out of balance mate.....
Yeah, can be scary at times.

My guy in Kesyie does 35's and bigger ....what the main issue is most guys dont have the skill to balance bigger tyres.
Got a name or number mate.

mudnut
3rd September 2015, 06:39 PM
Would a handful of
those balance beads
be the answer to
this problem?

BSRT.Beast
3rd September 2015, 06:44 PM
Got a name or number mate.

I'll send you a message.

lucus30
3rd September 2015, 06:47 PM
Would a handful of
those balance beads
be the answer to
this problem?

I think they might be. Have to crack the bead to throw them in though I think?

jay see
3rd September 2015, 06:56 PM
I'll send you a message.

Thanks for the details mate will follow up .

jay see
21st October 2015, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I had the tyre bloke
spin my new tyres on the rims
and re-balance them.
The wobble disappeared.
I hope it is as simple for your
problem.

Mudnut, who did the this for you, go got a name or number?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2015, 12:17 AM
Hey mate i missed this thread completely. How many kms have you done on the tyres since you have had them fitted? Simex are a bugger of a thing to be honest. But. Those tyres sat on the car for a period. Simex are renowned for forming a flat spot when sitting. If you have just taken them down the road and pulled the pin then you should head out on the freeway and give them a good run. Warm then up and see if it settles down. Bet they do. They just need a good spin.

Almost certainly need a Balance to though. don't remember the last time i and them done and for sure they are missing some rubber since then. Give them a good run mate. I have Never had a drama having them Balanced where ever i pull in. $20 a corner is not a bad price though.

Not sure you can run the balance Sand in those tyres as you have Tubes in them. Balance sand is to suit Tubeless applications for all accounts. I can't say i really noticed a head shake last time i went out on them though bloke.

jay see
22nd October 2015, 12:55 AM
Hey mate i missed this thread completely. How many kms have you done on the tyres since you have had them fitted? Simex are a bugger of a thing to be honest. But. Those tyres sat on the car for a period. Simex are renowned for forming a flat spot when sitting. If you have just taken them down the road and pulled the pin then you should head out on the freeway and give them a good run. Warm then up and see if it settles down. Bet they do. They just need a good spin.

Almost certainly need a Balance to though. don't remember the last time i and them done and for sure they are missing some rubber since then. Give them a good run mate. I have Never had a drama having them Balanced where ever i pull in. $20 a corner is not a bad price though.

Not sure you can run the balance Sand in those tyres as you have Tubes in them. Balance sand is to suit Tubeless applications for all accounts. I can't say i really noticed a head shake last time i went out on them though bloke.

I ran them for most of the week to and from work, 33 km each way with about half on the freeway. Did one trip to Toolongi and back.
There fine at 100 ks, but shocking at around 80ks. What would you say is a "good run"?

Finding it hard to get someone local who can do it. Theres a lot over the east tho.

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2015, 06:57 AM
If you het stuck head out and see Brett at 4x4Obsession in Melton.

jay see
22nd October 2015, 07:08 AM
Have already spoken to him and he won't touch simex. I know that he sends some work over to tyre power in Melton, will call them later.

mudski
22nd October 2015, 09:49 AM
I bought my 35's from City Discount Tyres in Thomastown and they balanced them real good. But I did get new ROH rims for them too. Which I think is a key player in balancing.

jay see
22nd October 2015, 10:43 AM
I bought my 35's from City Discount Tyres in Thomastown and they balanced them real good. But I did get new ROH rims for them too. Which I think is a key player in balancing.

Thanks Mark. I've spoken to them and they seem pretty confident. Will go and see them on Saturday morning after work.

jay see
22nd October 2015, 07:49 PM
Did call tyre power Melton and they too were confident in balancing them. Got them done there as it was closer, @$15 each it's a massive improvement.

threedogs
22nd October 2015, 07:52 PM
Good to hear you have it sorted

Scott560
14th March 2016, 08:26 PM
I run 33"muds all the time and have found that any shaking issues are caused by the following
1, in correct fitting on my part, the dot dose have to be lined up with the valve, otherwise they don't balance properly (see #3)
2, crap inside the tyre, either from popping a bead or bits of rubbish and water in the tyre at time of fitting (had a couple of small pieces of gravel and some water that I missed once and they caused me all sorts of grief
3, Not balancing them properly, I can say this as I fit my own tyres, my local mechanic and good mate orders my tyres and then I fit them and balance them, he thought I should learn about the joys of braking beads on the gold Nissan rims
4, king pin bearing's
5, Nolathan bushes

I'm having this issue, I run all terrains no dramas with them and only put the muddies on for an occasional weekend away, it's gets up to 80kph fine but then the shaking gets so violent that I have to slow down before I crash haha
have had wheel alignment done and tyres rebalanced
I did pop a bead once but cleaned it pretty well before they refitted the tyre
The tyres have noticeable worn on every second lug inside and out
Put the tyres on a mates nav and they run fine no dilemmas
Don't really want to jump in the deep end and replace all bushes, bearing, dampner etc before I can pinpoint the problem

jay see
16th March 2016, 12:24 AM
I'm having this issue, I run all terrains no dramas with them and only put the muddies on for an occasional weekend away, it's gets up to 80kph fine but then the shaking gets so violent that I have to slow down before I crash haha
have had wheel alignment done and tyres rebalanced
I did pop a bead once but cleaned it pretty well before they refitted the tyre
The tyres have noticeable worn on every second lug inside and out
Put the tyres on a mates nav and they run fine no dilemmas
Don't really want to jump in the deep end and replace all bushes, bearing, dampner etc before I can pinpoint the problem

Are the muddies the same size as the a/t ?

oncedisturbed
16th March 2016, 02:17 AM
Take them to a mob that balance right down to the wheel nuts and should fix most of it.

Local Bridgestone has the latest alignment kit that balances each individual wheel nut and the troll drove like new afterwards

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.