PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade to a Patrol

stankojk
28th August 2015, 11:51 AM
Guys only new here but looking to get myself a Patrol after having my old Paj written off in a 4WD accident in the Dunes.

Correct me if Im wrong but It seems that most of the ZD30 engine problems where seen to by the GUIV models, I realise there are basic mods to do to look after the ZD30 for longevity and peice of mind.

What I am mostly concerned with is there any thing else to look out for other than the engine. Running gear problems, electrical faults, essential maintenance that should of been done etc.

Any advice for this novice potential Patrol owner will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

4bye4
28th August 2015, 12:07 PM
Guys only new here but looking to get myself a Patrol after having my old Paj written off in a 4WD accident in the Dunes.

Correct me if Im wrong but It seems that most of the ZD30 engine problems where seen to by the GUIV models, I realise there are basic mods to do to look after the ZD30 for longevity and peice of mind.

What I am mostly concerned with is there any thing else to look out for other than the engine. Running gear problems, electrical faults, essential maintenance that should of been done etc.

Any advice for this novice potential Patrol owner will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Hi mate - asking about the ZD30 Di motors will get you a heap of advise. My personel opion, and I have a ZD30Di, is thatprior to the GUIV you must fit NADS. From GUIV on (2005) the problem is not as bad but NADS is still a good idea. From about 2007 the CRD motor came out and that does not require NADS but some MAY have water leak issues around the timing case/water pump area.

Running gear problems are few but if there are any they can be expensive to locate. There is what is known as the GU death wobble which is usually fixable with front end bush replacment. Having said that my GUIV has a slight wobble at 80 to 100 k which is not bad and has never got any worse (or better). I have read other stories where owners have replaced everything in the front end and still had problems.

I know from experience that the alternators in this model does not like water so don't pressure clean the engine bay, or if you do cover the alternator.
The other thing about the GU's is that they often have bad earthing systems which can give some strange electrical indications. It is wise to fit earth straps between the chassis and body where possible.
Sounds like a lot of problems when listed like this, but remember that people who never have any issues don't talk about it.

stankojk
29th August 2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that generally the running gear is solid

Clunk
29th August 2015, 11:28 PM
are you after a diesel GU or would you consider a petrol GQ?

threedogs
30th August 2015, 09:24 AM
Petrol for towing ,power to burn, tough as drive train, plenty of accessories available.
TD4.2 would be the pic of the bunch, depending on your budget $20k will see you sitting
in one with some mods.
Take your time your dream patrol is out there somewhere.

outback
2nd September 2015, 12:28 AM
Hi mate - asking about the ZD30 Di motors will get you a heap of advise. My personel opion, and I have a ZD30Di, is thatprior to the GUIV you must fit NADS. From GUIV on (2005) the problem is not as bad but NADS is still a good idea. From about 2007 the CRD motor came out and that does not require NADS but some MAY have water leak issues around the timing case/water pump area.

Running gear problems are few but if there are any they can be expensive to locate. There is what is known as the GU death wobble which is usually fixable with front end bush replacment. Having said that my GUIV has a slight wobble at 80 to 100 k which is not bad and has never got any worse (or better). I have read other stories where owners have replaced everything in the front end and still had problems.

I know from experience that the alternators in this model does not like water so don't pressure clean the engine bay, or if you do cover the alternator.
The other thing about the GU's is that they often have bad earthing systems which can give some strange electrical indications. It is wise to fit earth straps between the chassis and body where possible.
Sounds like a lot of problems when listed like this, but remember that people who never have any issues don't talk about it.

Besides all above; if you buy a pre owned GU IV (2005) onward, it is not what you do to the motor it is what the idiot did NOT do before you bought it, (Common Rail or Di).

The big things I have about Nissan is their service attitude and the fact they can not produce a sensible diesel Y62.
(not to mention the back of manual 4x4 vehicles other than the y61)