PDA

View Full Version : Have I popped a seal after oil change?

Beni C
26th August 2015, 12:27 PM
Hiya folks!

Did an oil and filter change on my 08 CRD over the weekend, conflicting info between the book and the ESM regarding fill volumes.

The book says 8.6 from memory and the ESM says 9.1, I trusted the ESM and put 9.1 in, thought I would do a bit of a degrease while at it and now I have a nice oil leak coming from around the bell housing.

Just wondering if I have popped a seal maybe due to oil pressure being to high?

Plan on degreasing again and keeping an eye on it, it not a huge leak, just a couple of drops on the driveway but don't want it to get any worse.

Cheers.

4bye4
26th August 2015, 12:36 PM
Check your oil level on the dipstick, which is now called an oil guage I am told. If you have overfilled, and I think you have, I think the 8.6 is correct, you may have oil leaking from the intercooler/turbo region and running down the bell housing. I had a leaky I/C at one stage and that is where the oil ended up. It can run along the rockercover and down the back of the motor, aided no doubt by air blowing over the motor. Also worth taking the cover off the I/C and checking the joins on the pipes (cuffs?). Hope thats all it is.

Beni C
26th August 2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks 4bye4, just recently installed a Cross Country I/C no leak from there and the exhaust and manifold has recently been replaced.

Will have a look around the rocker cover to see if anything looks suss.

Curious though, I checked my VIN in the ESM and rightly so its after the 2007 supplement so I would have thought 9.1 with the filter was correct.

Bloodyaussie
26th August 2015, 01:09 PM
Always fill by inspection and never rely on a book for fill amounts.. get to within spec say 7.5lt then start checking the dip stick, once the level is correct run the car till oil pressure builds then stop the car and recheck.

4bye4
26th August 2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks 4bye4, just recently installed a Cross Country I/C no leak from there and the exhaust and manifold has recently been replaced.

Will have a look around the rocker cover to see if anything looks suss.

Curious though, I checked my VIN in the ESM and rightly so its after the 2007 supplement so I would have thought 9.1 with the filter was correct.

Could be right mate, I'm at work and going by memory.

Beni C
26th August 2015, 01:50 PM
Problem is my driveway is by no means flat, about 15 degree incline so I have no choice to run it by the book, will see if it gets any worse.

Its weird how there is so much disparity between documentation.

Throbbinhood
26th August 2015, 01:55 PM
Chock up the lower side with a couple of bits of wood, driving ramps, those sorts of things.

Beni C
29th August 2015, 01:56 PM
After a lot of degreasinng again, it appears the leak is coming from between the block and bell housing maybe? Just wondering if I should nip the bolts up a bit?

threedogs
29th August 2015, 04:04 PM
Would that mean your rear main is leaking?

Beni C
30th August 2015, 11:36 AM
Yeah could be, it was replaced not to long ago. Have flicked the pics off to my mechanic to see what he says, might have to take it back to them and get them to sort it I suppose.

paulyg
30th August 2015, 12:14 PM
Did you change type of oil or viscosity?

Beni C
31st August 2015, 09:58 AM
Na mate, did put an oil flush through first though.

Beni C
2nd September 2015, 11:44 AM
Turns out it was the rocker cover gasket all along!

Clunk
2nd September 2015, 12:51 PM
Turns out it was the rocker cover gasket all along!
Well thats good new then, better than the main seal for sure

Bloodyaussie
2nd September 2015, 01:50 PM
I was going to say that... I was sure I had done an output shaft seal only just after putting a new one in and George told me I was a nob and it was the rocker cover..... sure enough I was a nob !!!!

Beni C
18th September 2015, 12:13 AM
After driving around for a couple of weeks and a few decent cleans I still have this weird leak! Oil is still honey gold after the change and the leaking stuff is black as, cant really get a smell of either. Does anyone know what this plate is at the front of the bell housing cause thats where I have pinpointed the leak from. I am not chewing any oil either!