PDA

View Full Version : TD42 broken engine mount mod

Bloodyaussie
25th August 2015, 09:45 AM
Has anyone seen this mod for an engine mount... from the little info I can find the ones who have done say it solved their problem of breaking mounts without the large expense of buying solid mounts...

Also I have heard of chaining down the mounts?? I have no idea what this would involve.

I have only just put a mount in 4 weeks ago and I think I may have broken it already.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/001-1_zps6sqaikyj.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/jpgpz/media/001-1_zps6sqaikyj.jpg.html)

garett
25th August 2015, 10:08 AM
wow didn't realize this was a problem i think my mav had solid mounts from factory, ? now if it were a falcon hey just buy the xr6 one ... but really how did you break it ?
look at the BA xr6 mount if you are thinking of chaining it down. it uses string of some description looped around it maybe you could copy it a bit.

nissannewby
25th August 2015, 10:29 AM
Umm what are you doing that you have killed an engine mount at your power level in 4 weeks?

Did you line the locator up on fitment? And was it a genuine mount?

threedogs
25th August 2015, 11:22 AM
Ive seen engine mounts made using leaf spring bushes, reasonably solid using yellow bushes.
Chaining would be to contain the enertia of the motor, IMO not really required more a big block mod

Ben-e-boy
25th August 2015, 06:33 PM
How good are your gearbox mounts?

boots
25th August 2015, 07:08 PM
operator abuse I say .

billyj
25th August 2015, 08:02 PM
just put a superior unbreakable mount in. im running them both sides on my tb42e turbo and dont notice any nasty vibes. also the pair of superior mounts were cheaper than a set of genuine mount rubbers

billyj
25th August 2015, 08:05 PM
the pic will just be a mount thats been drilled and had a bolt put right through it. the std bushes tear the rubber in half real easy, not so much power that does it bu the torque acting against the mount

OLY
17th October 2015, 09:57 PM
i just made a set of the unbreakable mounts, used toyota surf lower trailing arm as the bush is a larger diameter and it doesn't cause any extra vibrations on a TD42 with them on both sides. they are so very common to break, genuine mount or not, i've even had to replace them in a RB30 gq and thats no powerhouse

Bloodyaussie
18th October 2015, 07:35 AM
i just made a set of the unbreakable mounts, used toyota surf lower trailing arm as the bush is a larger diameter and it doesn't cause any extra vibrations on a TD42 with them on both sides. they are so very common to break, genuine mount or not, i've even had to replace them in a RB30 gq and thats no powerhouse

Did you take any pics...

BigRAWesty
18th October 2015, 07:53 AM
Did you take any pics...
In his Frankenstein gq thread.

OLY
18th October 2015, 08:23 AM
Did you take any pics...

I can take some, the first set I made I used the patrol lower arm bush, but the second set I made for a mate while helping do a TD conversion into an RB30 GQ, we made them so we didn't have to cut and weld the brackets on the chassis. in my opinion the second set with the Toyota bush came out a lot better than the first set with the Nissan bush

threedogs
18th October 2015, 08:44 AM
Ive seen them made using leaf spring poly bushes as well,
was told though they are firm as with the nissan bush so
be prepared for that.

OLY
18th October 2015, 01:17 PM
Ive seen them made using leaf spring poly bushes as well,
was told though they are firm as with the nissan bush so
be prepared for that.

yeah that's what I found as well, just not enough rubber in the bush to absorb engine vibration, same deal with the leaf spring bushes. that's why I used a surf rear control arm bush on the second set I made and with the larger bush the engine doesn't vibrate any more than standard