PDA

View Full Version : Sealed or Semi Sealed Lights?

Majestic
22nd August 2015, 10:55 AM
Hey guys,

I am looking at replacing my lights, the passengers side one has moisture damage in it. Clearly water has gotten in there at some point and corroded the reflective film.

Now I have been looking around and clearly sealed would be a better choice for a 4WD, my only issue with that is the globes. I don't want to have to replace the whole headlight each time a globe dies, plus if I am on the road and need to replace it I am in a bit of trouble, it's not like I can go to a servo and buy a new H4 globe to put in them.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any alternatives? Any DIY mods to semi-sealed to make them more waterproof?

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

threedogs
22nd August 2015, 11:08 AM
If you like the output of sealed beams and do plenty
of water crossings or bog holes its a no brainer.
Those prism style sealed beams may suit your needs
as well

taslucas
22nd August 2015, 11:08 AM
I thought I'd upgrade the lights in my gq so i had more than 4 candle power and I didnt want to go down the HID path. I didnt look too hard but the only sealed ones i could find were basically the same brightness as stock factory and i really wanted something brighter so i went for semi sealed with nice bright globes.... First trip out and i had muddy water in one. They leak like a sieve and once the reflector was dulled by dirt plus the condensation on the inside blocking the light, then my new brighter globes were hardly any better than the old dull ones.
As i dont drive much on highways or on open flats i dont think ill ever go for a HID conversion but instead opt for a led light bar in the future.

Majestic
23rd August 2015, 11:47 AM
If you like the output of sealed beams and do plenty
of water crossings or bog holes its a no brainer.
Those prism style sealed beams may suit your needs
as well

I thought I'd upgrade the lights in my gq so i had more than 4 candle power and I didnt want to go down the HID path. I didnt look too hard but the only sealed ones i could find were basically the same brightness as stock factory and i really wanted something brighter so i went for semi sealed with nice bright globes.... First trip out and i had muddy water in one. They leak like a sieve and once the reflector was dulled by dirt plus the condensation on the inside blocking the light, then my new brighter globes were hardly any better than the old dull ones.
As i dont drive much on highways or on open flats i dont think ill ever go for a HID conversion but instead opt for a led light bar in the future.

Thanks guys.

I had a chat with the brother yesterday and decided to go sealed beam. He found some on ebay with gas filled globes 100/75W @4000K. Might go with them and I decided with the globe issue, keeping one of my older headlights +globe in the back in case one does blow all I need to do is replace it and it would get me out of trouble for the short-term.

I'd hate to have happen what happened to you Lucas, it's a shame no one has come up with with a sealed beam headlight that can be watertight and with a replaceable H4 globe.

I'd highly recommend a LED lightbar for highway/country driving, they make a huge difference. I used to live out in the country and traveling to and front the city on those country roads at night was dangerous, the lightbar helped to make it a lot saver. I went with the 30/45/60 combo and I am extremely happy with it. I don't use it as much anymore due to living in the city but better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one. :D

liftlid
24th August 2015, 05:25 PM
I just run semi sealed and expect to replace the lenses at regular intervals, especially after a night run.

AB
24th August 2015, 06:24 PM
I've had a bad run with both and even sealed beams get water inside and condensation builds up and never gets out.

I got a new set off Patrolapart and they drilled small hole on the bottom of lense and it works a treat.

Condensation disappears after a few days too.

mudski
24th August 2015, 09:18 PM
I've had a bad run with both and even sealed beams get water inside and condensation builds up and never gets out.

I got a new set off Patrolapart and they drilled small hole on the bottom of lense and it works a treat.

Condensation disappears after a few days too.
Your sealed beams arent sealed beams then. Lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Throbbinhood
25th August 2015, 11:26 AM
I got a set of semi sealed, run a bead of silicone around a few spots, will see how they go through water, hopefully stay dry!

BSRT.Beast
1st September 2015, 11:00 AM
I got semi sealed with a new loom and 110w low beam.

gets hot enough to dry any water out

taslucas
1st September 2015, 12:13 PM
I got semi sealed with a new loom and 110w low beam.

gets hot enough to dry any water out
Which means the globe will probably crack if water touches it when it's hot.

tappa lives!

BSRT.Beast
1st September 2015, 07:41 PM
Which means the globe will probably crack if water touches it when it's hot.

tappa lives!

your prolly right but i think i'll keep em until as such time it happens.