PDA

View Full Version : TB48 Question I can't find the answer to....

alterastro
19th August 2015, 05:59 PM
Ok so possibly a silly question, but I've searched and can't find an answer...

Is the TB48 timing belt or chain? If belt, what is the replacement schedule for it and if chain, should it be replaced after x miles or years?

Thanking you!

Nick

Clunk
19th August 2015, 06:14 PM
Here's some info I find when doing a quick search

TB48 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CZX79G) are chain
ZD30 are gear & chain
TD42 are gear
RD28 are belt
TB42 & 45 are chain

Belts are the only drive method that has a scheduled replacement interval

alterastro
19th August 2015, 06:54 PM
Lol I've been searching all morning and couldn't find a definitive answer! Thanks.

So if there is no scheduled replacement interval, does that mean it lasts a lifetime? It's only done 80,000 km but 12 years old...

cgm
19th August 2015, 07:21 PM
TB48 is definitely chain and meant to last the distance (obviously as much as reat of the engine). I think in most cases that should be true. I had one in Saudi though that was giving me a small noise at low revs. Turned out to be the tensioner on the timing chain. But I'm betting now someone before me hadn't serviced it properly. I sold it to a mate when I left and it died in the bottom end. Only about 200k on the odometer. His old GQ had over 500k without issues in the same conditions. The heat is tough on them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

cgm
19th August 2015, 07:22 PM
With 80k on the clock and chain rather than belt, you have no issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

LUNATC
24th August 2015, 07:29 PM
Yeah, definately chain... There is no aftermarket option that I have been able to find so, the genuine must be tough as nails!

SpecialDave
2nd September 2015, 04:51 AM
Yep chain, the prev owner of mine had a blind monkey do the timing work and there were burnt out valves etc as a result. The chain however after 150k was in tip top shape.