PDA

View Full Version : 2 horns, 1 wire

daz172
18th August 2015, 11:02 PM
Hi, I have recently bought a twin tone horn set which consists of 2 horns,1 being a high tone and 1 being a low tone, my question is how do I wire this up coming from factory relay? Do I just make the wire from standard horn split off into 2 but won't that just lesson the power getting to the horns ??, or should I replace the relay with a diff 1 to accommodate 2 outlets for power wires??

mudski
18th August 2015, 11:10 PM
Both horns are 12v so i see why not. They will both get 12v, the oem relay might not handle the extra power required though

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Cuppa
18th August 2015, 11:33 PM
I have two horns on my car, the standard factory squeaker & a louder one.The louder one came with a relay. I ran a separate fused wire from battery positive to the louder horn via the relay & used the supply to the factory horn to switch the relay. Works fine, & recently when the louder horn stopped working (by virtue of vibration causing it mounting nut to come loose, & the horn moving enough to disconnect from it’s power supply) I still had a working factory horn.

threedogs
19th August 2015, 09:10 AM
I run two stebel air horns using the OE wires, I ran an extra wire for the second horn
then put a larger fuse in to suit extra power.

daz172
19th August 2015, 09:11 AM
So I might just connect another to power supply coming from factory relay and see how that goes? ? Would I need to incorporate another fuse along that line somewhere?? Or just put a bigger fuse in at fuse for the horn?

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 09:21 AM
pretty basic diagram, pretty basic circuit tho. constant power from battery to after market relay, switch wire from factory horn power wire, etc etc make sense?

and forgot to add into my diagram, add a fuse between battery and new relay

Cuppa
19th August 2015, 09:45 AM
pretty basic diagram, pretty basic circuit tho. constant power from battery to after market relay, switch wire from factory horn power wire, etc etc make sense?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60573&stc=1

and forgot to add into my diagram, add a fuse between battery and new relay

Yup, that’s basically what I did. Except I still have the factory horn between the two relays - used a ‘piggyback’ spade connector on the factory horn to continue it’s power supply to the new relay. Note fuse should go as close to battery as possible. (Factory fuse remains for factory horn)

mudski
19th August 2015, 09:47 AM
I had to run another relay for the Stebel I have. As the horn's sound was quite weak when just using the OEM relay. Not sure why this was the case. But the output wire from the OEM relay to the horn I used as the trigger wire to the new relay. All works good now...

Winnie
19th August 2015, 09:58 AM
My Stebel has been full of water and now sounds like a wet fart... Hahaha

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 10:02 AM
My Stebel has been full of water and now sounds like a wet fart... Hahaha

someone always has to go there... im surprised it was you this time tho haha!

Winnie
19th August 2015, 10:18 AM
Apparently there is a little air intake nozzle on them though that you can run a hose into the cab for to keep water out of them, I haven't bothered to look at it though.

mudski
19th August 2015, 10:32 AM
Apparently there is a little air intake nozzle on them though that you can run a hose into the cab for to keep water out of them, I haven't bothered to look at it though.

Yes there is. I bought some clear pvc tube and ran it to the back of the engine bay and put a small motor bike inline fuel filter on it.

Cuppa
19th August 2015, 10:54 AM
My attempt at a diagram.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60575&stc=1
So all that is required is to add the small line from factory horn to new relay & the heavier line from battery to to new horn via relay (with an inline fuse). Ensure body of horn has a good earth connection to it’s mounting point.

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 10:55 AM
My attempt at a diagram.

So all that is required is to add the small line from factory horn to new relay & the heavier line from battery to to new horn via relay (with an inline fuse). Ensure body of horn has a good earth connection to it’s mounting point.

heaps better than mine!!! pretty much what i was trying to say with less details tho!

Cuppa
19th August 2015, 11:02 AM
pretty much what i was trying to say

Yep, I think we are all on the same page. Thought I’d try to clarify for folk looking in the future (as well as finding a way to avoid leaving a warm room to go out to a cold shed to do what I ought to be doing!) :)

daz172
19th August 2015, 06:52 PM
I was gonna put 2 complete new horns on These are the horns I'm gonna put in60583
And this is the wiring diagram they give me 60584
Do I need to do exactly the same as what they r telling me to do???

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 07:01 PM
Nope just do it the way Wynne suggested mate, it's the best way to do it

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

daz172
19th August 2015, 08:51 PM
Which way did wynne suggest to do it?? Sorry I can't see a post from him saying which way to do it

Clunk
19th August 2015, 10:06 PM
Which way did wynne suggest to do it?? Sorry I can't see a post from him saying which way to do it
I think wynne is a typo, it may have meant to be 'we all'.....

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 10:07 PM
My attempt at a diagram.

this way mate!

daz172
19th August 2015, 10:34 PM
You certainly could wire it exactly as shown on the Hella diagram but seeings you already have a horn wired in you will probably find the job simpler if you utilise it’s existing feed wire to switch the relay. To do so wire it up like the following diagram. This assumes that you utilise the old horn wire retaining the existing factory horn relay (which you needn’t worry about tracing, just pick up the wire at the factory horn).If you use a piggyback spade connector on terminal 87 rather than connecting both wires into a single spade connector it will make any future fault finding easier.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60592&stc=1

Ahh yeh I see , that will work thanks that was really helpful

Cuppa
20th August 2015, 01:32 AM
EDIT: I deleted my previous post as quoted above & re-posted because I had put terminal 30 & 86 the wrong way round - should be as below.

You certainly could wire it exactly as shown on the Hella diagram but seeings you already have a horn wired in you will probably find the job simpler if you utilise it’s existing feed wire to switch the relay. To do so wire it up like the following diagram. This assumes that you utilise the old horn wire retaining the existing factory horn relay (which you needn’t worry about tracing, just pick up the wire at the factory horn).If you use a piggyback spade connector on terminal 87 rather than connecting both wires into a single spade connector it will make any future fault finding easier.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60596&stc=1