PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in a labour swap?

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 07:28 PM
Hi guys, I have been trying to turbo the trusty old gq for a while now but with doing a major extension to the house and having a 11 month old it hasn't happened yet. Now there may be another spanner in the works ( we find out officially tomorrow) I have nearly all that is needed (I think) just need time and know how. So what i am proposing is there anyone that has the knowledge to turbo the gq (and ill help)and in return I can do some carpentry work. I have been a renovation carpenter for 16 years and am a registered builder. Someone near the ipswich area would be great but I will travel and have been travelling for work for the past 14 years so is not an issue.
thanks Rob

AB
18th August 2015, 07:38 PM
I would be all over that if you were in Vic!

Is your car your daily drive?

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 07:48 PM
I wish I was in vic! Had planned to do the high country next year but number two has just been confirmed so that is out the window until much later!!! And no it's not a daily. I may well end up just having a crack if no one is interested and then taking to a mechanic!!!!! lol

AB
18th August 2015, 07:58 PM
I wish I was in vic! Had planned to do the high country next year but number two has just been confirmed so that is out the window until much later!!! And no it's not a daily. I may well end up just having a crack if no one is interested and then taking to a mechanic!!!!! lol If you get no joy here and it's not your daily I reckon you should give it a crack mate.

Have you seen my DIY on when I did mine?

If you take your time and follow my thread and just ask any questions I'm sure the members will sort you out no probs.

I was the same as you with a newish born and just did an hour here and there when you can.

Congrats on number two as well ;)

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 08:07 PM
yeah mate i have seen the thread but not sure i have the confidence to do it myself!

Winnie
18th August 2015, 08:14 PM
Give it a GO mate! Will be so worth it!

AB
18th August 2015, 08:20 PM
yeah mate i have seen the thread but not sure i have the confidence to do it myself! The only thing which is difficult in the entire process is the oil drain into sump.

Do not tap into the oil drain on alternator like some people do, you want a direct drain into sump from turbo.

Have you checked the DIY thread of the location of an oil drain plug on your block incase miraculously you have an oem bung?

If not then I suggest taking the entire pan off and getting someone to weld the drain plug.

Apart from that the rest is just plug and play to a degree ;)

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 08:29 PM
i havent checked but have always intended on welding (having it welded) a fitting in. I have alot of the info as I have been thinking and collecting for the past two years but time is really against me now and I fear If i dont get it done soon it may not happen.

ashmccormick
18th August 2015, 08:30 PM
Hey up mate. How soon are you looking at whacking in the turbo? I'm moving to North Brissie at the end of the year and would give you a hand if you're not in a rush? Would be good to meet a fellow patroler in a new town too haha. Not done a turbo yet on my rig as I haven't had enough spare cash to buy a good setup.

Ash

nissannewby
18th August 2015, 08:54 PM
I cant do all the work for you but would be happy to assist you.

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 09:13 PM
I think more than anything I need someone to bounce off kinda like an apprentice to a tradesman, I just cant afford to wreck a motor, give me a set of plans, no worries! cars I need a bit of help. I may well take you up on that offer thanks mate.

89gqpatrol4x4
18th August 2015, 09:15 PM
Hey up mate. How soon are you looking at whacking in the turbo? I'm moving to North Brissie at the end of the year and would give you a hand if you're not in a rush? Would be good to meet a fellow patroler in a new town too haha. Not done a turbo yet on my rig as I haven't had enough spare cash to buy a good setup.

Ash

I would love it done by christmas as I have to get two rooms renovated in the house by march!

ashmccormick
18th August 2015, 09:20 PM
Prob be a bit too early for me as I'm moving state so gotta get set up and stuff... But feel free to message if you run into any snags, or plans change etc. good luck mate!

nissannewby
18th August 2015, 09:23 PM
I think more than anything I need someone to bounce off kinda like an apprentice to a tradesman, I just cant afford to wreck a motor, give me a set of plans, no worries! cars I need a bit of help. I may well take you up on that offer thanks mate.

No worries. It could easily be done in a day. Just let me know and we can try to organise something.

rusty_nail
19th August 2015, 08:42 AM
^^^^^if there is anyone you would want to trust and get to help its this man. definately knows what hes talkign about and even been featured in magazines for his expertise^^^^^