PDA

View Full Version : why is there a 2nd battery on some 3.0 Di patrols on not on others

spud13
17th August 2015, 07:52 PM
Hi hoping for some advice, I am in tent process of looking at buying a 3.0D patrol here in Iceland, and whilst googling around I notice some engines have a single battery and some have two. (Not after market fit) can any one expand on why some do and some don't have the 2nd battery. I assume buying the one with 2 is the better buy?

Hodge
17th August 2015, 07:56 PM
Hey mate. I can only assume it is the same as the D22 Navaras here that have been sold for the past few years here with standard 2 batteries that are perma-wired in parallel with the alternator / starter motor. Supposedly it is to help cranking in cold climates. And they used the same setup here as they did in Europe. When I bought my D22 navara New i was also stumped as it arrived with 2 batteries wired up as one... And some research revealed what I said above. To help cold cranking.

spud13
17th August 2015, 08:01 PM
Ok that makes sense... I suppose the next question would be... is it advisable / possible to de-wire it from being permanent and then add a red-arch relay in line and use it as an auxiliary. Or is best to add a 3rd battery as the aux as per after market brackets stc.. my only worry would be the strain on the alternator.

Winnie
17th August 2015, 08:02 PM
Where is the factory fitted 2nd battery located?
As long as the batteries aren't flat then it won't strain the alternator, would be awesome when winching too.

spud13
17th August 2015, 08:06 PM
On many pictures the single battery cars the battery is located to the left handside. On the double ones the 2nd battery is located to the right of engine but not at the rear of the engine bay near the bulkhead. If that makes sense. I am not sure if I can post web links here as that would show what I am saying

Hodge
17th August 2015, 08:09 PM
Where is the factory fitted 2nd battery located?
As long as the batteries aren't flat then it won't strain the alternator, would be awesome when winching too.

Looks like a dual battery setup out of factory but it's not. This was my nav under bonnet.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60542&stc=1

Winnie
17th August 2015, 08:12 PM
Somebody smarter will surely comment but I don't see a problem if you completely de-wire the 2nd battery and wire it through a dual battery isolator.

spud13
17th August 2015, 08:16 PM

Hodge
17th August 2015, 08:19 PM
Somebody smarter will surely comment but I don't see a problem if you completely de-wire the 2nd battery and wire it through a dual battery isolator.

That's exactly what I done. You split it, add a bit of wiring and done! Very easy to do, as most of the wiring is there for you ready to go. Except I put a DC battery as a secondary. And when I sold the nav, it was a 5 minute job to reverse. 2 lugs, put original battery in. Done ! Car was starting no dramas of one single factory battery, winter, summer.....

spud13
17th August 2015, 08:24 PM
I hope my two pics show the difference. I know this might have been a dumb question. But never owned a patrol before (I have a landrover in England ) . My aim was to fit either a oddessy or optima red top as the main crank battery and again a oddessy or yellow top as the 2nd / aux. But wasn't sure if the 2nd battery was there for a reason other than cold cranking as mentioned.

Hodge
17th August 2015, 08:26 PM
No such thing as a dumb question mate. Always good to ask and in the process inform some other curious minds along the way.
I imagine the Patrol is wired much the same way as the Navara is. Batteries just paralleled.

Now that I think about it, it actually DID state it in the owners manual (Navara). If one could get a hold of one of the manuals over there it might mention the two batteries ?? Just a thought.

spud13
17th August 2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the support an agree there is no such thing as a dumb question, unfortunately I wish that same sentiment was the same in England, as most landrover owners or should I say the "flat earth society" think all question are dumb :1087:

I will be viewing a patrol here in Iceland in the next few hrs so will keep you all posted.

spud13
18th August 2015, 09:44 AM
Ok so quick update on my viewing....
"it didn't happen" Grrrrr.....
Emailed the dealer where I found the add via the internet, confirmed a time to view, arrived to find the car wasn't there and the owner had just come out of hospital so unable to drive it over for a viewing �� so a bit of s wasted day... Still on the brighter side I now have more time to read the forums and get better acquainted with the ups and downs of 3.0 d patrols as not back in Iceland till December....