PDA

View Full Version : Diff Guards

Rock Trol
17th August 2015, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the bolt on front diff guards that are available. I have been looking at the Harris hard case and the Superior engineering stealth diff guard. Is there much of a difference between the two apart from they way they attach? They are both made of 6mm steel. The Harris looks like it protects the underside of the diff. Is this needed? Is the superior's attachment method through the radius arm better or worse?

Also, are the rear diff guards really needed? I find that my front diff acts as a plough when in ruts. Have been doing some driving in mud lately and I find a lot of mud caked on the front. I am running 32 inch tyres so diff is fairly low. Even if I upgrade to 33's it would still drag. Worried I might plough into a rock and dent front pumpkin.

Rock Trol
17th August 2015, 01:21 PM
Also, which company is better to deal with?

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2015, 04:56 PM
Heap of guys on this forum run the Harris front diff guard and rate it, I don't but they do a good job. They do take a little of your diff clearance

threedogs
17th August 2015, 05:21 PM
Im going to weld 12mm fins to mine, it will take a
while but will look factory I hope when finished
It will be laser cut to fit,
No idea on the Bolt ons,

EDIT, when ever this weather improves GGRRrrrrrrrr

Rock Trol
17th August 2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys. Also looking at a custom job made here in Adelaide from 10mm steel. Will be bolt on.

Has as anyone damaged a rear diff? I am pretty sure I don't need one as I have not reversed into anything yet whereas the front diff pumpkin does cop it a lot. Already has metal gouged out from hitting rock.