PDA

View Full Version : 2009 3l Nissan Patrol Y61 Ti, blowing black smoke!

Sam144
16th August 2015, 05:03 PM
Not sure if this is the right place or not...... New to this forum.

My Nissan Patrol randomly drained it's fuel lines one night ( no holes or leaks) then is started blowing heaps of black smoke. After discussions with a mechanic, We changed the sensor on the air filter bit, no change. Took it to a fuel injection place in town and they tested it with a Valve Block afte smoking out there workshop........., apparently it worked and reduced the smoke significantly, but due to the legalities they could not leave it in. We have bought the car home and made a valve block as per the gasket which is on the intake, test drove it and it still blows excessive smoke...... Any ideas what else to try? Don't think my neighbourhood enjoys being smoked out.....

Woof
16th August 2015, 05:12 PM
Hey mate, slip over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions and post up an introduction, it is something we like all new members to do before asking for assistance so we can welcome you, that way everyone gets a nice warm fuzzy feeling

Sam144
17th August 2015, 08:55 AM
Just done my introduction :)

Sir Roofy
17th August 2015, 10:08 AM
Clean the MAF sensor check that inter cooler hoses are seated and tight maybe check the fuel filter not sucking air

Sam144
17th August 2015, 11:17 AM
We Cleaned the MAF sensor...... no change, so we replaced with a new one....... no change!

New fuel filter was fitted Friday..... no change either

I assume the mechanic would have checked the hoses but will double check tonight... since putting the valve block in there is a definite increase in power but its just the excessive amount of smoke still.....

threedogs
17th August 2015, 11:22 AM
Do you know what boost you are reaching? is your IC oily if so its leaking, they all do.
Relpace it with a tested, tigged unit for around $400. You really need to get gauges and a catch can fitted.
Then you can see whats going on. Check all hoses on the IC for splits and if fitted correctly.
Without gauges you are just flying blind, black smoke = too much fuel or not enough air.
See if you can swap your MAF sensor with one you know is working, even from new they are hit and miss.
PM Mudski for your Nads requirements if you go down that road, most do. Also google Chaz Yellowfoot for all things
ZD30 related.
Having a common rail that erg plate you made needs a 10mm hole in it or you will get check engine light,
A scangauge is the best bit of kit you can buy for your model, i have a ECU-Talk for my Di.

4bye4
17th August 2015, 11:23 AM
What motor and what transmision mate?

rusty_nail
17th August 2015, 11:24 AM
gday mate, check out our thread on your exact problem, it will probably go a long way to helping you diagnose what your problem is!!

Why Diesels Smoke (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12450-Why-Diesels-Smoke&highlight=diesels+smoke)

Sam144
17th August 2015, 08:30 PM
Have just bypassed the wastegate vaccum controll so waste gate closed full time .... no more smoke but really touchy on throttle what controlls the opening of the wastegate???
thanks in advance

Avo
17th August 2015, 08:36 PM
did you disconnect the battery for an hour after doing the Maf mate?

Sam144
17th August 2015, 08:38 PM
Battery was disconnected all night

Hodge
17th August 2015, 08:39 PM
How do you mean by-passed? If throttle is super touchy, maybe you've left the actuator fully open hence the turbo spools up super fast.

The actuator is controlled from the little solenoid vaccum unit, which is controlled by the ECU out of factory. And does a pretty shit job at it. A lot of people fit dawes and needle valves to take the control away from the ECU. This gives the car a nice linear spool up boost curve instead of the ECU yoyo-ing the boost all over the place.

However, the fact that the smoke is gone is interesting... Cannot add anything to that personally. :confused:

Sam144
17th August 2015, 08:40 PM
It would now seem that the wastegate is opening at very low boost

Sam144
17th August 2015, 08:42 PM
I movrd the vac hose from the solenoid to the vac pipe on engine thst runs to solenoid