PDA

View Full Version : Advice required: Nissan Patrol ST GU 7 Manual 3.0L Diesel 2011

mhanly
15th August 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi all,
Test drove a Nissan Patrol ST GU 7 Manual 3.0L Diesel 2011, 121,000kms, full service history, good paint, clean , good tyres. Are they good on fuel, engine any good, problems so on, any info is good. Drove quite well but don't have much experience with Patrols so looking for any advice on other items that I need to check? Got quoted at $30k which based on Redbook and comparison on Carsales looks to be ballpark! Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Mark

threedogs
15th August 2015, 03:02 PM
OE tyres will see you best fuel figures maybe 12-13/100k.
Check the Intercooler, if oily it will need replacing.
Ask if it loses coolant , check front timing cover for signs of coolant leaking, [$6k fix]
The CRD have a habit of warpping the egr pipe, will make a whistling sound cold until warm
Pay someone with 4wd knowledge especially with Patrols to go over it for you.
What side of Melb you on I may be able to suggest someone for you.

mhanly
16th August 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback looked pretty tidy didn't see any signs of oil leaks but I will check that when I follow up! I am in Brunswick area but the car is down in Port Melbourne. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I have a mate who is pretty knowledgable but he is currently up Cape York so!!!

PGGU8
16th August 2015, 01:43 PM
As Threedogs said, I was getting the same fuel 12-13/100km in my 2011 GU8 from OE tyres.
I'd also check the full service history that it was done regularly and nothing extra came up.
Check underneath too to see if it has driven off road as the dings and scrapes will give you an idea of how hard it has been driven.

Bush Ranger
16th August 2015, 08:24 PM
OE tyres will see you best fuel figures maybe 12-13/100k.
Check the Intercooler, if oily it will need replacing.
Ask if it loses coolant , check front timing cover for signs of coolant leaking, [$6k fix]
The CRD have a habit of warpping the egr pipe, will make a whistling sound cold until warm
Pay someone with 4wd knowledge especially with Patrols to go over it for you.
What side of Melb you on I may be able to suggest someone for you.

I own a 2001 GU and a similar problem occurred. I had an EGR Stepper Motor that needed to be replaced. That`s what the mechanic called it. The whistling only occurred at 2800 and 3000 rpm at cold temp or at normal running temp and only started after the Stepper Motor was replaced. The EGR pipe is made from aluminium (alloy of some sort I guess) and has a habit of warping at the flange on the end where it bolts on to where it needs to go. Needed another one, which was a good second hand piece. I don`t know why Nissan didn`t make it out of a stronger metal.

mhanly
17th August 2015, 10:45 PM
Investigating finance options before I head back for another look I'll keep you guys posted if/when I head back!

07GU_UTE
18th August 2015, 08:27 PM
I have a 5/2014 3.0 ltr ST UTE for a work ute that I have done 80,000 kl/m in and nearly all gravel roads and it has not let me down, yes a little under powered but hey, still better then a you know what (Hi-Cruiser)

mhanly
23rd August 2015, 11:48 AM
Think I found my new Patrol..2008 3.0L ST GU 6 fitted with Bullbar,Snorkel and Towbar, BF Goodrich Tyres, Dual Battery set-up, heavy duty gas shockers all round and rear air bag suspension..photos to follow assuming mechanics inspection goes well!